collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Got drawn for multi-season Elk tag,... now what?  (Read 7360 times)

Offline vern96

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Got drawn for multi-season Elk tag,... now what?
« on: July 31, 2011, 03:36:57 PM »
Hello-

My first post.

As the title says, I have been fortunate enough to be drawn for the multi-season Elk permit. I am an ex-gun hunter who has done nothing but archery hunt for the last ten years. I bag deer every year, and last year tagged my first elk with a bow!

My problem is I'd like to ML if I do not fill my multi-season Elk permit during archery season, but I do not own a ML, nor have I ever shot one.

Would anyone here be willing to teach me the skill, and perhaps rent me a ML for the season? Instead of buying a ML that I would only use for one season, I would gladly pay $100.00 rental, and give you all left over powder, caps and bullets, and if lucky enough to tag an animal, share some of the meat.

I live in Kirkland, and am willing to travel to make this happen.

Thanks in advance!
Phil

Offline Kowsrule30

• Frontiersman
Re: Got drawn for multi-season Elk tag,... now what?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
You can get a decent ML for around $100 or so and get to keep it for the next time you draw a multi season deer/elk tag.... You never know you might start ML hunting and put the bow down.....     :tup:

Offline johnnyaustin44

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 07:34:04 PM »
I bought the traditions tracker 209 and changed the breech plug to fit the caps and it has gone bang every time.only cost 110 dollars.

Offline vern96

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 08:00:18 AM »
Thanks for the replies, but my objective remains:

>To learn how to use a ML from someone that knows how
>not to own an ML after the season.

anyone?

Offline fair-chase

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 10:55:17 AM »
Vern, I would also suggest purchasing a muzzleloader. Before you dismiss this idea hear me out. Purchase a decent one used that is reasonably priced, usually 200-300 dollars. Use it for the season and then resell it. If you are not in a hurry to sell after the season you should be able to recoup your entire investment. If you are in a hurry to sell it you may take a minimal loss on it. Somewhere in the range of 50-100 dollars, which was what you would have rented one for in the first place. In addition, you wouldn't have the stress involved worrying about scratching or damageing someone elses rifle.

Now you will probably still want someone to take you out and show you the ropes, but with having your own rifle this should be much easier to find as it won't be so intrusive as asking for both a rifle and taking the time to teach. If I was closer I would be more than willing to take you out shooting, but I don't even let my friends who I have known my whole life borrow my weapons for use when I am not around. The liability is just too great and it's kind of like loaning money to family members...there's no way it will have a good outcome.  :chuckle:

I wish you the best of luck on your multi season hunt and hope it all comes together for you to have a great year of hunting.

Offline Elkrunner

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 11:16:27 AM »
Sweet spike...where did ya get that one?  I am still trying to get my first archery elk as well.

Sorry I can't help you with the ML>

Offline vern96

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 11:18:34 AM »
Sweet spike...where did ya get that one?  I am still trying to get my first archery elk as well.

Sorry I can't help you with the ML>

In the Mica Peak area (Spokane)

Offline vern96

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 11:21:12 AM »
Vern, I would also suggest purchasing a muzzleloader. Before you dismiss this idea hear me out. Purchase a decent one used that is reasonably priced, usually 200-300 dollars. Use it for the season and then resell it. If you are not in a hurry to sell after the season you should be able to recoup your entire investment. If you are in a hurry to sell it you may take a minimal loss on it. Somewhere in the range of 50-100 dollars, which was what you would have rented one for in the first place. In addition, you wouldn't have the stress involved worrying about scratching or damageing someone elses rifle.

Now you will probably still want someone to take you out and show you the ropes, but with having your own rifle this should be much easier to find as it won't be so intrusive as asking for both a rifle and taking the time to teach. If I was closer I would be more than willing to take you out shooting, but I don't even let my friends who I have known my whole life borrow my weapons for use when I am not around. The liability is just too great and it's kind of like loaning money to family members...there's no way it will have a good outcome.  :chuckle:

I wish you the best of luck on your multi season hunt and hope it all comes together for you to have a great year of hunting.

Ok,.... I hear ya....

Where is a good place to buy a newer, used ML? I went to the biggest used gun place in this area, and they had nothing but ML's that looked like they were from the Civil War!

Thanks again-
Phil

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 11:25:53 AM »
There are 6 for sale in the classified section of this site.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 12:19:10 PM »
You can get a decent ML for around $100 or so and get to keep it for the next time you draw a multi season deer/elk tag.... You never know you might start ML hunting and put the bow down.....     :tup:
Exactly what I would do.  You will have no problem finding a cva or a traditions for around 100-150. 
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 12:34:37 PM »
I don't hunt big game with anything that goes bang, so you're outta luck with me. But all of the other comments suggesting purchase sound pretty good. When you get a chance to pay it forward with some advice of your own or tips for another new guy, you really start feeling the benefits of this site. Welcome to the site, Phil.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline vern96

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 01:05:38 PM »
I bought the traditions tracker 209 and changed the breech plug to fit the caps and it has gone bang every time.only cost 110 dollars.

I see a brand new one of these on gunbroker.com for 169.99...
What does a new breech plug cost? Where would I find one of those?

thx!

Offline jechicdr

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 05:09:48 PM »
Muzzleloader is great thing to have in your arsenal.  Can't use a scope in this state which limits the shot distance a bit.  Slightly more than  bow range in my opinion.  As far as how to use it, you just pour in the appropriate amount of powder or number of pellets (I like pellets).  Follow it up with a sabot, shove it down, cap the nipple, aim and shoot.  A little bit of technical stuff with the loading and shooting, but nothing you couldn't learn online.  You can probably get hold of an online users manual for many muzzleloaders.  Last time I hunted Washington with my muzzleloader, they also required lead projectile and did not allow sabots.  I got a cow elk that year.  Make sure you read the regulations, they are a little specific.

Offline vern96

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 05:17:03 PM »
ok, step one done.... I just bought a new Traditions Ultra-light Vortek (Northwest Edition)...

Any info on what accessories (powder, bullets, etc) would be best for this gun for elk hunting?

Thanks in advance!!!
Phil

Offline johnnyaustin44

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 05:38:22 PM »
I use the hodgdon powder pellets at fifty grains apiece. With hornady sst bullets. Powder pellets for me are the best. No measuring just load and shoot

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]