collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: new camera advice???  (Read 4921 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
new camera advice???
« on: June 29, 2007, 02:54:20 PM »
ok so with the baby coming and stuff, i figure i should probably upgrade my little ooolllldddd nikon coolpix point and shoot. i have a digital rebel with lenses and stuff, but want a nice smaller point and shoot digital camera. it will be used for the baby, hunting  and fishing trips...what do you guys like/dislike/suggest. i'm not particular to brand.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: new camera advice???
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 03:38:36 PM »
Here are decisions you need to make....... do you want a camera for wildlife shots....or kill shots and scenery...how big are you willing to carry....if you have a fishing camera, digital and water don't mix.....there are good point and shoot cameras that are waterproof, but they don't tend to make very good wildlife cameras....3x zoom the best. talk to me!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 03:47:50 PM »
not a wildlife camera...i have a digital rebel, an ok quality 100-300 lense, a macro lense and the 15-80 lense that came with it. i want something small, convenient, easy to use etc. something i don't need a dang backpack to carry everything. i once used a panasonic FZ7 (i think) and the size of that is doable for example. it's about the same size as my little coolpix. the coolpix is fine, but there's this huge delay between the time you push the button and when the camera takes the picture which has bothered me from day 1, which was probably 7 years ago BTW. it's just old and outdated, 3.2 mp.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 04:31:07 PM »
There is a new point in shoot that is just out.  I'll see what I can find for you.  Its suposedly idestructile and takes great shots.  I have no idea on price.  Its either a Nikon or canon.  I'll see what I can find.  Panasonic is awesome and is what I have, but doesn't mix well with water.  I often never take my camera fishing as two of myfrineds have lost their $1200 cameras by falling in.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 04:36:27 PM »
mixing with water is not a big concern as i rarely take it fishing too...only if we are in the boat occasionally but i haven't had any problems yet. if you're talking about the camera that tfinal posted about at MM i saw that and would like to know a price, but couldn't find one online.

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 04:43:14 PM »
I have a couple of cameras. One ghetto camera that if it got dunked in the water I would care less about. That's an old Olympus c-60 zoom. My other camera is a canon g7. Pretty good. But I really think a ninja pocket camera is still the canon elph.

Branden

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 06:14:17 AM »
I have a 4 mp canon elph that has worked great for years. Just got the 10 mp elph but have not had it in the field yet. I am taking it for a test run this week for a few days so if I take any decent pics I will post them up. Good luck finding the right camera for you.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 06:32:26 AM »
I have heard many good things with the canon elph.  It also sounds like your situation might warrant a new Panasonic Lumix.  Avoid the fz20 and Fz30  if you are interested in any wildlife photography...good cameras, but noisey.  The fz10 is still wonderful, though outdated in regards to megapixel, and the 50 is amazing.  I'm not sure what the current one is, but you can probably pick up an FZ50 for under $400 now.  In the Nikon, the d40 would probably work for you.  The d80 if you were really interested in wildlife and had the cash for investing in a nice lense.  The d200 is the ultimate wildlife camera in their line, but your'e looking at 2 grand versus $400 for the d40.  Check on MM and you can see where I was talking tot he boys TFinal and Gdog, and they posted some different Nikon links.  I am extremely happy with my Panasonic line.  The only thing bad about it is the lack of waterproofness, it doesn't fit in the hunting pack real well, though light and compact, and the 10 is only a 4-5 megapixel.  I've taken alot of cool shots of the family with it, some decent wildlife shots, and have played with it quite a bit.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 08:37:31 AM »
Jackelope, think waterproof.

When I say that, don't think you need waterproof, so you can take up a new sport scubadiving....

The reason I would suggest a "waterpoof" digital camera is two fold. Rain. (Duh) You want to be able to take some shots when it is raining out, and in my experience, I used to always worry about the rain so much, I didn't get many shots.

The main reason I suggest waterproofness, is condensation. Like with good optics, (which I am sure you have), a good "waterproof" digital camera will keep condensation from forming inside the camera when you take it out of your truck cab, or pocket, or from inside you vest, and then hold it out in the colder environment for a few minutes, to take a picture.

While warm, all cameras naturally expell and push warm expanded air outside of their case as they warm. Expose them to cold, and they gulp in air. With a relative humidity of over 80% around here most hunting seasons, you have just fed the camera some water. Do this a few times, you will notice water accumulating on the inside of the lense. Believe me, I have done this many times with older cameras. 

Think about it, warm, cold, warm, cold, warm, cold, this is what causes cheap binoculars to fog, it will do the same to a camera.

I suggest, (and own), Olympus, Stylus, Digital Cameras. We have had two 3.2 megapixel  waterproof cameras for about five years. I have one, wife the other. I have taken mine into the wet environment of duck hunting, steel heading, razor clamming, surf fishing, stuffed in my wader pocket, snow shoeing from warm pocket to icy picture shooting for many years. I fogged it once. Damned good camera.  Olymous now sells two newer versions I would take a look at. I keep hoping my older camera will fail, so I can talk my better half into upgrading....  Check them out at:http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1287

770SW, or 720SW.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 01:29:50 PM »
3x optical, 5x Digital. Not the best zoom on the planet, but a better shirt pocket camera you will be hard to find.

Waterproof, shockproof, crushproof, freezeproof, 3x5x zoom, 7.1megapix, Image stabilization...what more does a guy want...?

I will try the link again here...check it out... (I really wish my old one would break...wink... wink...)

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1287&fl=4
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 02:11:42 PM »
I do need a slip in the pocket waterproof camera that will fit in my hunting pack.  People get mad at me that I don't have field photos, so I started packing the lumiz in a water proof bag.  still wish it was smaller, not to mention I don't want to break it.  I don't have the FZ20, a couple friends do though and I was shocked at how noisey they were(30 was even louder).  I will let them know.  These are gals at work, so they aren't chasing big bucks, just little kids.  They like my pictures and wanted that for their kids.  You really can't beat that lieca glass.  Its a darn good camera.  I wish I got store credit for every gal that bought one here.  I think most the people I work with now own a Panasonic Lumix.  A PA friend just got the 50, another sharp looking camera.

Offline nyhunter

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 04:16:11 PM »
hey buddy i can speak from experience and the old film or decent digital right now is going to be fine. we are using a standard film 400speed, cannon 35mm with multiple lens selection varying from 75m to 400 zoom. the thing is most of the pic's for the baby are going to be stand still or positioned photo. In a couple years then you are going to need something for the action shots and shot from a distance 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]