collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Skin problem  (Read 4077 times)

sisu

Skin problem
« on: June 22, 2008, 07:26:19 PM »
We are having a skin problem with our lab! I first noticed problems last spring after I built a kennel for him to stay in when we were both away during the day. I still believe he is algeric to the cement, but everyone told me that is not possible. But he is also outside rolling in the grass and dirt a lot more.  He had no problem this fall and winter but now that summer is here he has lots red, raised blotches on his belly, itching, then skin darkening on his abdomen, then hair loss in the area with round dry patches.  This is now spreading.  Last summer the vet gave him antibiotics for a hair follicle ailment and a topical spray.  It seemed to go away with the onset of fall and now it is all back again and getting worse. 

Offline BC CHASER

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Si vis pacem para bellum
Re: Skin problem
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 09:18:46 PM »
My lab had the same thing a few years ago. The vet said it was some bacteria from the lake water and was givin meds and was better in a few months.  He has never had it since.  Labs are very prone to skin rashes for some reason.
WA.MT.UT.AZ.KS.NM.CO.AK.NZ.
Lion Pride founding member

Offline Bookworm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 09:20:21 PM »
My lab was allergic to the food he was eating. Also allergic to cedar chips for bedding.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 07:15:18 AM »
Without a doubt you already are checking for fleas....but; our pooch had extreme flea allergy dermatitus, and had all of those indications..... A couple of drive by bites from fleas would trigger his skin to really get affected, even in areas he wasnt nibbled on..... We really had to stay on top of fleas, or he would go nuts, and bite hair off in areas affected. You may come home and he would be missing patches of skin where he bit and licked so much... Season affected this a bunch too with fleas surging during warmer weather...
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 08:12:57 AM »
If you believe it may be allergy related food is usually the culprit.  A lot of times its the wheat/grain components in the food.  It sounds like this comes and goes though so unless you've been feeding different food that's probably not it.

Sounds a lot like hot spots.  They often are an allergic reaction to sumthin (fleas, other bugs, plants, etc.)  I've used tea tree oil sprays on my dogs for years.  It works really well on hot spots, isolated patches of irritation, rashes, etc.  You may also wanna try a medicated (something like tea tree oil) shampoo and see if that helps.  Even an antihistamine like Benadril(sp?) may be in order.  Check with a vet on the recommended dose for your dog.     

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 09:09:34 AM »
I have always wondered if lawn fertilizer irritates their skin.  I have never asked the vet though.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 10:29:07 AM »
I have always wondered if lawn fertilizer irritates their skin.  I have never asked the vet though.

Or weed killers and other sprays...?????

I generally try to keep my dog out of the yard at least 24 - 48 hours after doing any kind of treatment to it.

sisu

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 08:08:10 PM »
So far the vet and my wife, through Internet searching, believe it's pollen and some plants. We are on a 21 day antibiotic program and a spray called Genesis. He needs to get well so we can start training again and be ready for hunting season. Fleas, ticks, etc. we are using Frontline Plus and Interceptor so those critters are not an issue.

I'll try to keep ya posted on how the treatment is going. BTW BC Chaser we also thought it was the lake water but not any longer. We have a lot of invasive weeds in our yard and I think they are the culprit, and the pollen in our grass that has been planted.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal