collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: List for the trail - no pack critter  (Read 4988 times)

Offline KopperBuck

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
List for the trail - no pack critter
« on: March 20, 2012, 10:24:39 PM »
Hey all, as I mentioned in a previous thread I'm w/out a pack animal. This year my lady and I are looking at doing a couple of overnighters. I've done it hunting, but I always had a pack animal. Her and I have only been able to camp from a trailer so far, which hasn't slowed us down. Last year our best weekend was over 30 miles. But we'd like to take our time and spend a night or two on the trail.

Currently I have the Trailmax saddlebags, while she's got a day variety of another brand. I'm thinking it'd be nice if she had a bigger setup. With that said, I'm looking to see if others have had experience overnighting by going light, and what kind of gear to consider. I'm looking for sleeping systems, tents, stoves/cookware. And any other good stuff to consider.

Maybe we could get a list going. Machias, I actually had bookmarked a list of yours last fall - I thought maybe since we have a new forum for this specifically we could get a new thread up and running to celebrate the virtual corral and maybe some new info with the proven.

Thanks all - and a couple more pics from last year!

And you gotta love a gal with a shooter on the hip.

Offline 6x6in6

• Frontiersman
Re: List for the trail - no pack critter
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 12:24:35 PM »
Nothing to add for suggestions on overnight gear but I just wanted to say that the Trailmax bags are awesome, as you probably have experienced.
I have not done so but a friend of mine picked up a 2nd cantle bag for his and secures those back-to back via the buckles and then down to the crupper strap, sort of triangular secured if that makes sense.  The double bags make for a nice crib to stack a few things on top, like your slicker, bedroll and sleeping bag for example.

Keep the soft stuff an no bouncy-bouncy stuff out of the second bag or your horse will do the crow hops.  :chuckle:

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 07:55:06 PM »
You just REALLY have to be carfeul not to overpack your saddle animal.  You can sore them up really quick if you overpack them.  Bigger and bigger saddle bags almost always lead to overpacking your animal.  You'd be much better off with a single pack animal, but I realize for alot of folks that's just not an option.  I would pack like ultralight back packer, but even then your most likely going to over pack your animal if you're also riding it.  Just something to consider and keep in mind.  You want to enjoy the back country and camp in some comfort, but if your animal comes up lame or sore you could be in some trouble 20 miles in.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:49:08 PM by Machias »
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline KopperBuck

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 01:24:36 PM »
That's a big 10-4 Machias. Everything is scaled out, and I try if I can to keep it under 20%. I've got it down pretty well. Between 2 people going light I believe it's easily possible to do this comfortably. I guess I just need to talk some backpackers.

Note of interest, it sounds like my brother-in-law and I may be going into a partnership on a mule.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
Note of interest, it sounds like my brother-in-law and I may be going into a partnership on a mule.

Sweet, make sure you look a few over.  Do you already have one picked out or are you looking for something in particular?  If you don't have something in mind I can put the word out to my mule club, we have lots of good folks who, every once in a while, have good mules for sale.  Whatever you end up with I hope you find a good one!!
Fred Moyer

Offline KopperBuck

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 02:35:38 PM »
Right now they're looking one over. Unfortunately for me it'll be housed over at their facility in W. OR if and when we do go through this, at least for the time being. I'm going to talk to him a bit more about it this weekend when I head over there. I may be bending your ear soon though about tack, see if I can't find some good used stuff.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 06:12:45 PM »
 :tup:
Fred Moyer

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal