collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: going to alaska... do i really NEED a gun?  (Read 19730 times)

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
Re: going to alaska... do i really NEED a gun?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 01:23:20 PM »
hmm.... you guys all make good points.

however the best one i have heard was at the gunshop yesterday... "if you get a big revolver, remember to take the front sights off so it doesnt hurt as much when the bear shoves it up your @$$"

i will admit, i really want a 44 mag, and im more than likely using this as an excuse to get one... whether or not i take it... thats a different story.

the bear spray is another thing i am considering, but... it just doesnt seem...... as reliable and as proven as lead and steel... ive been peppersprayed before and i know it definatley sucks (wind shifted directions and i acctually sprayed myself...)... but.... i dont know... maybe ill get both and if a warning shot doesnt work ill spray the sob and if that doesnt work then ill blast it... who knows...

gotta admit tho, that is one sexy 44mag

Strong winds aside Bear Spray has been shown to be very effective on Griz, a bit less on Blackies. The good stuff is a lot hotter than Mace or CS, both of which I have been heavily hosed with. Pretty sure you went through a CS chamber too.  Been hit with bear spray too.  Thank God for the style of glasses I was wearing. It was like being set on fire compared to CS.

My third trip up, another customer of my pilot surprised a male Griz in the willows.  3 days from the end of a 90 day hike. He had NO time to react.  It chomped on his thigh and threw him (with his pack on) over 20 feet.  It then pounced on him keeping him face down and started chewing on his pack.  He was able to point the spray over his shoulder.  The bear ran off and wasn't seen again.  Luckily he packed a good first aid kit and a Sat-Phone.

He, like me, also kept the spray in a chest holder.  Mine came with a chest harness and a sleeve for the can. I took the sleeve off and hung it with a D-ring on my shoulder strap.  The sleeve is designed to keep the can pointer forward.

I kept a .44 in reach when sleeping (tied to my wrist, that took some getting used too  lol) figuring the rifle to long to spin around in a 1 man tent.  6 rounds of the hottest stuff the Redhawk could shoot at point blank maybe even in physical contact hopefully would have driven off a bear, enough to get out and use the rifle.

I can't see any reason for not having spray, kinda pissed you can't fly with the full sized can.  My pilot always gave me a can bought by others up there and left behind when they flew home.  If you're gonna be out alone I'd pack a gun too.  3 sprays aren't a good call for help :chuckle:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 01:31:43 PM by MikeWalking »

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 01:25:54 PM »
How's that spray work in a 40mph blow?

You have to lead it...
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 01:33:26 PM »
How's that spray work in a 40mph blow?

You have to lead it...

Flank it..fast   :chuckle:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 01:45:01 PM »
-You can never have too many guns
-Mom always told me never go in without protection
-When faced with having A. a fishing rod or, B. a fishing rod and a gun to defend myself against a bear, I pick B.
-You have enough to buy a new gun
-All your friends will think you're cool
-You can never have too many guns
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline WapitiFreak

• Tracker
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002395654120
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 01:51:41 PM »
The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.
"Americanism is a question of spirit, conviction, and purpose, not of creed or birthplace." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 02:00:15 PM »
 :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Seriously I think the Bell idea is pretty stupid.  How is a bear supposed to know it's coming from something to run away from?  I've heard speculation they may just want to come see what it is.. :dunno:

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 02:01:51 PM »
Jack brittingham had a video out where he dumped a brownie with a pistol. He was hunting the bear with a bow, bit it all fell apart and the bear moved tward him. One in the noggin and the 416 stayed on the guides shoulder. The key to being alive in any gun fight is making hits count.

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 02:30:40 PM »
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered.

To repeat the old joke, griz poop smells like pepper and had bells in it.

Offline Carl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 02:31:05 PM »
I’ve done 3 float trips in Alaska and the key seems to be – don’t surprise a bear!  I’ve floated around a few river bends and found myself staring at big browns that were fishing too.  Thankfully, they have all walked out of the water and into the bushes until we passed.

I was much more worried about walking around on the river banks with the thick brush.  I carried my .44, but REALLY didn’t want to use it.  I’m way too familiar with the stories of wounding a bear and …  It’s extremely hard to kill one out-right and the alternative is not good.

We did have one come tearing into our camp about 3:00 one morning and if he wanted to jump on my one man tent, I would be history.

Most of the locals carried very short shotguns.  That’s the way I would go – with slugs.

Have a great time!

Offline flinter

• Tracker
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 02:42:54 PM »
You guys need to watch that Fred Eichler video of a float trip down an Alaskan river. A couple of grizz cubs show up on the bank and all of a sudden momma comes at a full charge. The camera man falls over backwards trying to get out of harms way. The camera hits the water. Luckly the guide pulled his pistol when the cubs showed and when momma bear charged he was ready and fired a warning shot in the water right in front of her, which scared her off. She came so fast I don't think he would of had time to react if he wasn't already drawn. I had no idea those big bears could move that fast. What ever you take you better keep it close!!!

Offline Carl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 03:03:08 PM »
You guys need to watch that Fred Eichler video of a float trip down an Alaskan river. A couple of grizz cubs show up on the bank and all of a sudden momma comes at a full charge. The camera man falls over backwards trying to get out of harms way. The camera hits the water. Luckly the guide pulled his pistol when the cubs showed and when momma bear charged he was ready and fired a warning shot in the water right in front of her, which scared her off. She came so fast I don't think he would of had time to react if he wasn't already drawn. I had no idea those big bears could move that fast. What ever you take you better keep it close!!!
:yeah:

That's what I'm talking about!

Offline hillbillyhunting

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 03:16:19 PM »
I would not trust a .44 against a grizz  :twocents:  When I was guiding small rivers in alaska we encountered bears all the time... pretty much every day.  No person I worked with carried a pistol unless they were with others with shotguns.  I bought a beneli nova 3.5" pump with a 24" barrell.  I never had to use it, but I was glad I had it on numerous occasions.  Those bears are no joke.  When I had a close encounter with a GIANT bore the feeling was unexplainable.  They get huge and move very fast... amazing critters.  The most sketchy bears I encountered were the ones that had been pushed away by their mom that year.  They did not know any better and would somtimes approach us.  :o

Offline steen

• Women's Board
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 04:56:53 PM »
We are going to the Pasayten this summer and will take pepper spray and a riot shotgun.  Probably don't need it but the one time u don't have it you'll need it.  Makes me feel secure.  A far cry from going to Alaska but better to have than regret.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 05:56:12 PM »
I was just reading a big thread on another site about people hunt grizz. A few people got chewed up pretty good. I know of some guys who have lost there lives to big bears. Do you need one? No! but just like a saftey belt, it can save your life if something goes bad. No way I would go into big bear country without a solid handgun on my hip.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 06:31:40 PM »
Better to have a gun and never need it
than need a gun and not have it.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY