Sound like the real thing! Extreme Elk Magazine

Author Topic: Best Camp Ideas?  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Broken Arrow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Best Camp Ideas?
« on: September 23, 2008, 02:57:26 PM »
Every year, after the season is done, we all have about 350 days to come up with new ideas to make camp better the next year. Thought i would share one that came up this year from on of my buddies, that made camp even better. May be old to some, new to others, however my thoughts were it may be helpful to others!

This summer, one of my hunting partners talked to me about bringing a small chest freezer to elk camp. He had an old one that easily fit in the back of his pick up, with wise ( would hold 3 boned out elk). After looking into trying to convert it into propane, etc, we did some summer experimentation with frozen 1 gallon milk jugs and realized we could keep it quite cold with enough frozen ice for several days.

Our plan was simple; freeze the ice, transport to base camp, cover with a tarp and when we got an animal down we would bring it back, insert into the freezer, and run the generator over night to help with the warming spike, then when we got another down, repeat the process.

I have to tell you this worked like a charm, we kept my elk and another partners bear in there for a week. It never got above 40 degrees. The last day at camp we set did a cut and wrap ( nice that one partner is a butcher) assembly line and knocked out both animals in about 4 hours.

This saved me not only gas to the nearest butcher who we usually use do to hot weather conditions (the Dalles Oregon), however also saved tremendously in the actual butchering cost. I recon we saved at least 200-400 over all.

whats has been the best for you all?

ElkNut Outdoor Productions

* Recent Topics

EXCLUSIVE: Scott Pruitt Will End EPA’s Use Of ‘Secret Science’ To Justify Regula by wolfbait
[Today at 06:47:50 AM]

Mute Swan by Duckgtr
[Today at 06:39:04 AM]

A rifle that won't shoot- Update by Jonathan_S
[Today at 06:33:29 AM]

2018 Washington Wild Sheep Foundation Banquet and Auction by JoeE
[Today at 06:33:20 AM]

2018 Sheds. Post them here! by E-Town Hunter
[Today at 06:32:35 AM]

Wts/Wtt. .22 mag ammo by 257WTBY
[Today at 06:25:14 AM]

Pin size by Commando
[Today at 06:10:28 AM]

Looking for a Backcountry partner. by E35alex
[Today at 05:26:54 AM]

Proposal to eliminate harvesting of cow elk for archery hunters in 8 game units by Bucks2Ducks
[Today at 05:22:32 AM]

How do you carry your optics? by Browndawg
[Today at 05:19:22 AM]

Idaho Bull Euro Mount by Skyvalhunter
[Today at 05:05:42 AM]

Elk! Elk! Elk! by Skyvalhunter
[Today at 05:00:36 AM]

Northwest Custom Diesel? by Skyvalhunter
[Today at 04:59:49 AM]

49 Degrees north GMU 117 by Skyvalhunter
[Today at 04:56:29 AM]

F/S Ruger LC9S Pro by TVHunts