collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How to release your dog from traps  (Read 9447 times)

Offline GrousePointer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Pheasants Forever, Ruffed Grouse Society
How to release your dog from traps
« on: October 04, 2012, 01:14:09 PM »
Thought some of you might appreciate this. Hopefully no one has to figure out how to do this in the field, but you never know.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/wildlife/doc/PetOwners.pdf

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
Re: How to release your dog from traps
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 01:21:25 PM »
great link. :tup:

here are some videos for those that ain't no gud at wurd readin.

Conibear release.m4v

Save your dog's life: release him from a conibear trap
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 01:51:38 PM »
Thanks for posting. We had a dog caught in a trap in Cherry Valley earlier this year in case you hadn't heard. Nice to have folks willing to educate people realistically.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline jplmyers

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 02:09:03 PM »
Absolutely.  Probably one of those skills many people don't know they need until it happens to them.  For reasons like this, I have recently started carrying first aid gear. 

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 03:45:45 PM »
I try to keep a decent kit in my truck. Basics work for humans and dogs alike. Maxi-pads, vet wrap, stitching supplies, hemostat clamps, knife, matches, antiseptic, crazy glue, zip-ties, emergency blanket, glow sticks, aspirin, tape, ankle wraps...can't remember what else all fits in a little plastic tupperware.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline jplmyers

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 04:53:39 PM »
I carry a tourniquet now.  I don't know if it works the same way on dog legs, but I have already heard a first hand account of a dog owner whose dog got into concertina wire on Fort Lewis and was pretty deeply cut.  Hope to never need to test the theory, but I carry it just in case.

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 05:46:56 PM »
two things I started carrying this year and actually got to use were: battery powered beard trimmers and lactated ringers for subcue fluids with vitamin B shots. they came in real handy when I realized my dog's leg was cut open and he was in shock, it was hotter than hell at the time and he refused drink any water before we headed for the vet so I figured better safe than sorry.

its usually a lot cheaper to put together your own first aid kit rather than buying a pre-made one. that way you know exactly what is in it and where to find replacements. some k9 kits come with a lot of filler that you will probably never use.
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline jplmyers

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 06:04:39 PM »
Ahhhhh, yes.  Lactated ringers for subcue-whose-it's.  Actually I have no idea what that is... what are they?

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 06:17:59 PM »
Ahhhhh, yes.  Lactated ringers for subcue-whose-it's.  Actually I have no idea what that is... what are they?

think of an I.V. drip from any episode of Grey's anatomy or ER. good for severe trauma- dehydration - snakebites ect

― Jim Harrison

Offline akirkland

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 06:21:28 PM »
My old girl Belle got in that razor wire on 23, years ago. I now have every vet in the area in my phone on speed dial. That was scary!!! Sliced and diced her up pretty bad. I have a kit in my pack and I have the grandaddy of all kits in my truck.

Offline jplmyers

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 07:14:43 PM »
Stilly, that's what I thought you meant, never heard it called that before.  That's pretty hardcore.  I don't know if I would know where to buy one, let alone administer it correctly.  Until a few years ago, the Army used to teach IVs in the Combat Lifesaver Course, a bunch of my buddies used to practice on their drunk/hungover friends.  I might have learned had I been on the other end of the needle haha.

akirkland, there is quite a bit of it on Muck Creek.  My Scout got into it on 13... it picks up/gets caught in debris so it's often hard to see.  I walked into it several times as a Lieutenant at night lol.

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 08:10:27 PM »
  That's pretty hardcore.  I don't know if I would know where to buy one, let alone administer it correctly.

not too hardcore. you can get them at your vet clinic for about $40 with vitamin B. make sure they give you a good tutorial before you leave. they are pretty simple once you figure them out, but they can cause added problems if you don't know what your doing.

they are very useful if you get in a bind, and they keep forever unless you open them. 

― Jim Harrison

Offline GrousePointer

• Hunter
  • Groups: Pheasants Forever, Ruffed Grouse Society
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 06:51:08 AM »
Lots of good stuff out there for dog first aid and most of it can be bought at your local Target, Wal Mart, or Fred Meyer in the pharmacy section.

Tip, if you're looking for vet wrap, ask your vet if they have any used rolls. They can't use it post surgery so anything left over on the roll gets thrown out. Kind of like that wrong order you get at Burger King that will get thrown out once you get the correct one.

My rule of thumb is if the injury goes beyond something I can take care of with some gauze, cotton balls, and vet wrap the dog is most likely in real trouble and my time would be better spent heading to a vet asap.

One item i haven't seen mentioned here, a leatherman. Great for pulling porcupine quills and cutting wire when needed. Hemostats are a must as well.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 02:09:52 PM »
A comment on trapping in WA and the likelihood of having your dog caught.

Fur trappers are limited to cage traps in WA so you are not apt to find any trap that wiil hurt your dog in anyway. All you'll have to do is open the door.
There are special permits for damage control written allowing trappers to use conibears and foot hold traps but they are typically written for damage control work and may only be used on private property so a check with the landowner will tell you if there are traps in the area.
Foothold traps in WA used with the permits must be padded jaw traps. The video posted is very good. The only thing I can add is to talk to your dog and calm it down before you attempt to remove the trap. Contrary to popular belief the animal will not be in much pain. He will be frightened initialy and may lash out and bite you even if you are his buddy.
I've removed a number of dogs from traps and if you talk to them for a bit they cam down and it is easy tp remove the trap. It is really unlikely that there will be any damge to the dogs foot beyond possibly a lttle soreness.
Conibear traps  must be set underwater in this state if they are used with one of the special permits. Even before the law changed in 2000 we could not set a conibear big enough to catch a dog on land. It is highly unlikely you will ever encounter a conibear that can catch a dog in WA. If you do the video is a good primer on how to remove the animal.
Snares are illegal under all circumstances so I wouldn't think you would ever encounter these either but if you do they are the least likely to harm your dog and usually it is easy to back the snare up with your fingers and release the dog. Wire cutters are not needed.

So let's say you encounter a trap that maybe you think, Man, this thing is wicked and shouldn't be out here. It is more than likely an illegaly set trap. What should you do? So often people see a trap, don't like it and pick it up. This is absolutely the wrong thing to do plus it is illegal. Leave everything right where you found it and call Fish & Wildlife. Let them make the determmination if it is illeagal or not. If you remove the trap the chances of them catching the perpetrator drops considerably and if it is legally set he will know that. If you take the trap you will have broken the law.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline jplmyers

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 04:18:06 PM »
Well that's good to know when hunting in WA. 

Humptulips, I have heard most of the damage to a dog comes from the frantic owner who doesn't know how they operate.  What's your experience on that?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]