collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GMU 418 - New to Washington  (Read 4198 times)

Offline eddya

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • https://www.facebook.com/ed.appleberry
  • Groups: NRA
GMU 418 - New to Washington
« on: September 07, 2017, 07:50:14 PM »
Hey guys! I've been lurking these forums for the past 8 months.  Always lots of great information here.  A couple of buddies and I are planning an over night hunting trip in early October.  We are all novices at big game, at least in this part of the country.  And I think I'm the only one that's hunted deer.  We are looking at GMU 418, for a number of different reasons.  I've been fortunate in my life, to have family throughout the mid-west, with lots of acreage, where I've always done my hunting (small game, and deer a few times).  What I am struggling with, is the process of gaining access.  As I said, I have little experience gaining access to lands through the DFW, private land owners, or the timber companies.  I am looking for information on GMU 418, as well as the best way (easiest way in this case) to find a spot and get access.  As I said, we are mostly novice  hunters and on our first trip, we don't expect to bag much, or anything, but would like to familiarize ourselves with the terrain, climate, weather, and put some of the scouting techniques we have learned to the test.  We would be happy with nothing more than a safe camping trip our first time out.  If we see anything, that would be a bonus.  As I said, any information on GMU 418, and the process of figuring out where to camp at, to allow hiking out to hunt, and the process of getting access is the kind of information I'm looking for.  I don't want you to think I haven't done my homework, and that I'm just looking for easy answers.  I really have read, and studied this for 8 months.  I've read books, been through the wdfw website a thousand times..read the pamphlets, and I've been on these forums daily almost.  I'm just not quite seeing the answers.  We are getting close to the time, so I figured it was time to stop being suborn and seek some direct help here.  I'm wishing I had this earlier. Thanks for any information you guys can provide.

Offline TheSkyBuster

• Aim High
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sourdough
Re: GMU 418 - New to Washington
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 08:21:28 PM »

What are you hunting for? 

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 08:43:30 PM »
Hey guys! I've been lurking these forums for the past 8 months.  Always lots of great information here.  A couple of buddies and I are planning an over night hunting trip in early October.  We are all novices at big game, at least in this part of the country.  And I think I'm the only one that's hunted deer.  We are looking at GMU 418, for a number of different reasons.  I've been fortunate in my life, to have family throughout the mid-west, with lots of acreage, where I've always done my hunting (small game, and deer a few times).  What I am struggling with, is the process of gaining access.  As I said, I have little experience gaining access to lands through the DFW, private land owners, or the timber companies.  I am looking for information on GMU 418, as well as the best way (easiest way in this case) to find a spot and get access.  As I said, we are mostly novice  hunters and on our first trip, we don't expect to bag much, or anything, but would like to familiarize ourselves with the terrain, climate, weather, and put some of the scouting techniques we have learned to the test.  We would be happy with nothing more than a safe camping trip our first time out.  If we see anything, that would be a bonus.  As I said, any information on GMU 418, and the process of figuring out where to camp at, to allow hiking out to hunt, and the process of getting access is the kind of information I'm looking for.  I don't want you to think I haven't done my homework, and that I'm just looking for easy answers.  I really have read, and studied this for 8 months.  I've read books, been through the wdfw website a thousand times..read the pamphlets, and I've been on these forums daily almost.  I'm just not quite seeing the answers.  We are getting close to the time, so I figured it was time to stop being suborn and seek some direct help here.  I'm wishing I had this earlier. Thanks for any information you guys can provide.

418 has a TON of public land available.

Most forest server land will allow you to camp pretty much anywhere out of the way. If you take a drive up there on some of those roads now you'll see a ton of pull outs where people have been camping before.

Offline optic2

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: 2AF, FPC, GOA, BHA, RMEF
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 11:01:00 PM »
Use OnX maps for finding access. If you haven't looked at it before it's like google maps except you can put a bunch of layers on top of it:GMUs, private land, state forests, national forests, wilderness, historic fires, current fires, etc. You can also download the maps for offline use (highly recommended). The main issue with forest service roads is that some are blocked off with a gate and some are impossible to travel. You can stop in to a ranger station and ask them about roads, but they'll want you to ask them about specific roads as then don't really feel like rattling off every closed road in their district. As far as camping you can camp almost anywhere you want in a national forest (https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/mbs/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=17520&actid=34).

Also take a look at last years harvest statistics (http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/harvest/2016/reports/deer_gmu_all.php).

Offline eddya

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 09:00:09 AM »

What are you hunting for?

Sorry, I should have mentioned more.  Primarily deer, but as we learn more, I would love to hunt Bear and Elk.  If we run across either, I believe we have enough knowledge to hunt them responsibly.  Also, We are looking for a spot to camp, and hike to hunt, as we will be staying one night on our first outage. Thanks for any help.

Ed

Offline Practical Approach

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 09:53:59 AM »
I think a lot of us would like to hunt elk in 418 but it is permit only.  There is also a bit of DNR mixed in as well in 418. 

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 10:17:37 AM »
Hmmm deer in 418! :chuckle:

Your time is better spent looking for deer closer to your home area. It's really bleak in the 400 units. There's deer but they are in pockets, and I don't think anyone is going to be help to where they already hunt. :twocents:

Oh and by the way I live in 437 really close to 418, and I don't even hunt them for deer, I do for bear and rarely see enough deer to even get me thinking about hunting deer in them.  :yike:

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 09:06:24 PM by Boss .300 winmag »
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 11:34:39 AM »
Seen some really nice bucks there just have to get out there and close the deal.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline eddya

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 08:05:51 PM »
Use OnX maps for finding access. If you haven't looked at it before it's like google maps except you can put a bunch of layers on top of it:GMUs, private land, state forests, national forests, wilderness, historic fires, current fires, etc. You can also download the maps for offline use (highly recommended). The main issue with forest service roads is that some are blocked off with a gate and some are impossible to travel. You can stop in to a ranger station and ask them about roads, but they'll want you to ask them about specific roads as then don't really feel like rattling off every closed road in their district. As far as camping you can camp almost anywhere you want in a national forest (https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/mbs/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=17520&actid=34).

Also take a look at last years harvest statistics (http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/harvest/2016/reports/deer_gmu_all.php).

I downloaded the app.  It's as awesome as you say!!  Thanks for the great TIP!!  onX will be helpful beyond belief!! Thanks again!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]