collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Calling deer?  (Read 4402 times)

Offline 270Flat

• Chief
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Getting skunked beats doing yard work!
Calling deer?
« on: September 17, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
Anybody have any experience doing this? If I happen to not fill my tag during the first go around. Would it be worth it too invest in a calling/rattling device for late season? :dunno:
fear no fish!!

Offline Atroxus

• Sourdough
Re: Calling deer?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 02:20:27 PM »
Anybody have any experience doing this? If I happen to not fill my tag during the first go around. Would it be worth it too invest in a calling/rattling device for late season? :dunno:

I got a deer call, and tried it last season. I honestly have no idea if there were any deer in hearing range, or if I just scared them off though. I have heard that rattling can work, but I have yet to try it myself.

Offline Austrian Hunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 02:21:02 PM »
If you can hunt the rut then absolutely yes!!!!! 

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 02:21:18 PM »
No kidding here.....the only deer I've ever called in have been does looking to stomp something while calling for varmits. They come in stomping and blowing. If you are able legally tag a doe it could be the difference betweend tag soup and steaks.

Offline Bantams

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 03:30:55 PM »
Not sure if this is considered "calling in", but I did successfully call a buck back to me after spooking him.
I had been watching him come up a little hill towards me when he went behind some brush and I lost sight of him (10 yds).  After waiting a minute I stood up, thinking he was gone.  Not so!  He began bounding away.  Desperate, I gave a quick "doe grunt" - and he stopped in his tracks.  Not only did he stop, he turned around and marched right back towards me, staring intently the whole time.  Finally he presented the perfect broadside shot, and that was it!
He was a very young buck though - I don't know if a mature buck would have been curious enough.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 03:33:16 PM »
Old buck....young buck....we....I mean they, all think alike. Some are just a little more seasoned.

Offline Nilehunter

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 05:05:47 PM »
     My wife was with me when I called a doe in with a blade of grass between my thumbs (got the idea from a thread on this sight).  She came right to me about 20 yards away right out in the open.  She stood there about 30 sec. stomped her feet and bounded off about 400 yard away.  I blew again and she came right back for the second time looking around frantically for a fawn.  I've called deer in with a doe bleat before also but they busted me before seeing if a buck was among them.  This year I called a white tail buck and doe in with a small can, but they did not get in range for a shot.

Patrick
Work hard-Play hard!

Offline grunt11B

• Hunter
  • Love to hunt, hunt to live
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 06:05:49 PM »
Called in a Doe, and a buck... Use the can Bleat and rattle softly just to similate a light sparring.....Good Luck...
There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway

Offline szairborne

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 07:02:21 PM »
I have used a grunt call before and the medium bleat can. With the can the buck came in on two different times. It just depends when in the season you are using them.

Shayne

Offline 270Flat

• Chief
  • Longhunter
  • Getting skunked beats doing yard work!
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 08:58:59 AM »
Great info! Thank you.
Just want to be clear:

Use rattling during the rut? Also use the bleet can? What about now, for the last part of the early season?

I have heard of guys using a fawn call for predator hunting only to have deer come in. Does this really work?

Again. Thank you for all the help! :tup:
fear no fish!!

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 09:03:23 AM »
Great info! Thank you.
Just want to be clear:

Use rattling during the rut? Also use the bleet can? What about now, for the last part of the early season?

I have heard of guys using a fawn call for predator hunting only to have deer come in. Does this really work?

Again. Thank you for all the help! :tup:

It does but you'll probably only get does, not bucks.  And it will become less and less effective with each passing day.

Offline blacktailcody

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 12:26:52 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Flambeau-KMeer-Whitetail-Call-Lure/dp/B0000AVVEJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347996284&sr=8-1&keywords=k+meer+deer+call
This call is the best call I have ever used. Works on blacktails whitetails and mule deer during any season.

Offline Kowsrule30

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 01:54:28 PM »
Called in a bunch of deer with rattling, bleat, fawn, and grunt tube.... Either by themselves or a combination of them...

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 02:42:20 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Flambeau-KMeer-Whitetail-Call-Lure/dp/B0000AVVEJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347996284&sr=8-1&keywords=k+meer+deer+call
This call is the best call I have ever used. Works on blacktails whitetails and mule deer during any season.

I really wanted to hear this but I can't find any video of it anywhere online

Offline Nilehunter

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 03:52:29 PM »

I really wanted to hear this but I can't find any video of it anywhere online
:yeah:
Work hard-Play hard!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal