collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shooting broadheads....  (Read 14018 times)

Offline GoldTip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Shooting broadheads....
« on: August 03, 2007, 01:39:40 PM »
OK, let me get some opinions from you guys.  In the past I have always paper tuned my bows to shoot a perfect bullet hole through paper both with a bare shaft and with fletches.  Now I have read that when you install your broadheads if they don't shoot to the same point of impact as your fieldtips, then you should move your rest this way or up or down, or raise or lower your nock until the broadheads and field tips are shooting to the same point of impact.  Now this makes no sense to me and I'll tell you why.

By changing the nock point or position of your rest you have now  just detuned your bow from where it should shoot the most efficiently.  I have always just moved my sight pins or gang adjusted the sight so that my broadheads are hitting the bullseye as I would like.  To heck with where the fieldtips hit at the point you have got the broadheads on.  IMHO if the broadheads are grouping well, just not at the same spot as your field tips, then you have a well tuned bow, it's your broadheads and fieldtips that don't fly the same, and I don't see any way in which with moving your rest and nock that you could possibly be getting perfect flight from your arrows either field tipped or with broadheads.  Thereby reducing kinetic energy and penetration.

Let me end this in saying that for years prior to shooting Sonics, I shot thunderheads which grouped 2" low and 2" left at 20 yards out of my very well tuned bow.  With moving my sights, I still had perfect arrow flight, and managed to put more than probably 30 different animals on the ground, to include elk, deer and bears.  Does this theory make sense to anyone but me?
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline Ironhead

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: Shooting broadheads....
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 05:08:48 PM »
I would shoot a different broadhead if I couldn't get it to fly like my field tips when my bow was properly tuned. Thats just me though. Some broadheads have a lot of surface area and they plane, there is nothing you can do about that but move your sight as you mentioned above or, move your rest or nock point and un tune your bow.
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 06:08:57 PM »
Yeah, that's why I don't shoot with Thunderheads anymore.  Great head, but impact point is way off field points.  You don't move your rest or nock point, just the macro-adjustments on your sight.  Pain in the butt, so just use Slick Tricks and don't worry about it. 

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 07:25:15 PM »
Yeah, that's why I don't shoot with Thunderheads anymore.  Great head, but impact point is way off field points.  You don't move your rest or nock point, just the macro-adjustments on your sight.  Pain in the butt, so just use Slick Tricks and don't worry about it. 

Basically the same here. I love Thunderheads but they hit about 8 inches lower then my field points. The Slick Tricks are only a couple inches lower then field points so it makes it easier to adjust. And yes, I know that most broad heads will hit the same as field points if everything is tuned.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 06:58:56 AM »
I end up moving my site pins in my mind.  My 20 with broadhead becomes my 30 with field points, etc.  Close range it doesn't matter.  Left and right are fine, its just up and down.  I have no idea why as they are the same weight.???

Personally, I am switching to the Montec G5s because of their solid construction.  I normally shoot the satellites out of my compound.  The have the replaceable blade, but they are harder to come by, and I like the re-shap capabilities of the Montec.  I hope they fly as well as anticipated.  I'll stick witht he Magnus Stingers on my Trad bow.  That head is terminal with even low kinetic energy, not that my 85 point trad bow has low kinetic energy, but you know what I mean.
Kind of hard on block targets though.

Offline johnsc6

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 08:17:37 AM »
They shoot lower due to the change in % f.o.c(front of center) weight.  lots of info on the internet about it

Offline Gamblin Guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 10:27:03 AM »
Easton's tuning guide on their website covers fine tuning to get broadheads and field points to shoot the same.  Depending on who you talk to some will say if they dont hit the same, your bow isn't tuned completely.  I've shot thunderheads for 20 years and always have them hit the same as field points out to 60 yards, it takes some patience but can be done most of the time.

Offline Little Fish

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 10:11:02 AM »
I tried some Shuttle T broadheads and was getting lift from the broadhead even though my bow is tuned the way it should be. To me the solution was simple (maybe because I'm new to archery)....just try a different broadhead. I switched to Sonics and now I'm getting field point accuracy.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 10:31:51 AM »
Littlefish, I have to say I have been very impressed with the Sonics 125gr over the last two years, and hope to be continually impressed with them again this year.  They shoot directly with my field tips out to 50yards, and have left multiple good blood trails the last two years.

Offline Little Fish

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 02:48:40 PM »
Goldtip,
That is good to know. I will be seeing how the Sonics work at longer distances this weekend. I haven't taken an animal with a bow and arrow, but hope to do so this fall.
LF

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 03:22:48 PM »
I have little doubt you will like those broadheads.  Good luck with getting your first bow kill this fall.

Offline rewent12003

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 08:00:16 PM »
the question is what is the weight of your field tips and the wieght of your broadheads. tuning your bow while shooting field tips is okay but when you use a broad head it will shoot different. try using the same wieght broad head as your field tip.

Offline Ironhead

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 08:59:55 PM »
I just started shooting the shuttle t locks last week and love them so far they fly just like my wac em's and my field points, but put nasty holes in my targets :o , can't wait for elk season.
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 07:48:08 AM »
Rewent, yes the broadheads and the field tips are the same weight.

Offline funkster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 08:34:27 AM »

I have used slick tricks for the last two season and they shoot almost the same as a field tip. They look small but they sure leave a big hole. I changed to the slick trick "magnums" this year and I am having the same accuracy as the original broadheads. IMPO I believe they are one of the best broadheads on the market today!!
If you want to make it,
you can't fake it,
you gotta live it.

"Lynch would serve him up about 5 yards of new-age-football reverse propulsion."- Bullkllr

“Patrick Mahomes is what Seahawks fans think Russell Wilson is.”

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Deadeyety
[Today at 05:12:44 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:12:42 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw