collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fishing the Snohomish  (Read 3286 times)

Offline Choclab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Stubby
Fishing the Snohomish
« on: August 08, 2007, 12:28:47 AM »
I will be scouting the area out for ducks (around Spencer Island) through out the month and was wondering what the fishing was like.  Should I bother bringing a rod along and if so, what kinda tackle should I use? Is it just good for pinks in mid-late August or what? What other fish are in there?
Eastsider stuck on the wetside......

Shadow Cat

Re: Fishing the Snohomish
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 12:41:17 AM »
Wish I had the info on that one, but I don't.  :(

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 07:22:36 AM »
give it about 2 weeks and it will be humpy madness!!! they are starting to show pretty good in the salt right now and there's a couple here and there rolling in the river. bring a rod.
littlest dick nite spoons, 50/50 chrome and brass about  a 25-30" leader and a pencil lead, just about enough to make it tick the bottom as you reel it back slowly.
we'll have silvers here pretty quick too, after the humpies. you have to watch the regs, and no shooting them with a bow!!!
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Choclab

• Longhunter
  • Stubby
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 09:58:14 AM »
you have to watch the regs, and no shooting them with a bow!!!

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Thanks for the info. Maybe I can steal you for a half day in a few weeks.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 10:11:10 AM »
i am going to be confined to shore fishing when they get into the rivers.  we could hit the sky maybe if the baby's not here yet, but 2 weeks from now she's full term, so i won't be getting too far from home. if you want to fish them from shore on the sky, i will put you on fish easy.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Choclab

• Longhunter
  • Stubby
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 04:07:18 PM »
Sounds good man. She is getting really close eh?! You excited yet? LOL

Offline Krusty

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 06:18:28 PM »
Choclab,

Spencer is pretty low on the river, it's brackish water, and fully influenced by the tide.
Be careful out there, the mud is soft and deep, the tide rushes in and out of "Spencer Lake", and there's places that end up 12 feet underwater.
The south half of the "lake" is off limits to hunting (from land), but some guys float in off the river at high tide.

On a good day, you can still bag a limit of birds there, and I have several times myself.
I'd be glad to run through the "tour" of the place with you.

The fishing can be good off the mouth, but there's not much that goes on in the lower river.
We fish for Silvers downstream of Snohomish (hwy 9 Bridge).
I do a little fishing just below the confluence (Snoq and Sky),for Summer Steel, but all we catch are a few small trout, a few whitefish, and a bunch of big suckers.

Around the Marysville/Everett area the best fresh water fishing is in the dead end sloughs and ponds, there used to be some good bass fishing in some (one in particular, on Ebey Island, was well stocked).
Access isn't as easy to get as when I was a kid (30 or 40 yrs ago), so the fish might be doing very well?

Dude, you live where I grew up, now... anywhere you go, to play, around here... I probably already been there. ;)

We should get together.

Krusty
Sarcasm; just one of the many services I offer.

Offline Hermit

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 09:45:37 PM »
I used to get some nice cutthroat in those sloughs on a incomming tide. Humpies will be in soon. brown Bullheads in front of the spillway below Lowell. Theres a LOT of hunters that hunt Spencer.  Choclab, The stilly runs into Warm Beach just south of Stanwood. Theres a boatlaunch there by the Bridge. Theres some decent fishing on incomming tides and a big mud flat thats great for ducks and geese. Not nearly as good as North bay for hunting, but you can't fish North bay or the mouth of the Skagit for Humpies this year.
The first bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]