collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What tires?  (Read 18003 times)

Offline 270Shooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
What tires?
« on: April 11, 2013, 10:43:10 PM »
I recently purchased a 2000 f150 and I want to put a good solid set of tires on it. Currently it has a set of 235-70r16 continentals which have good tread but they are load range b and very small for my liking. I am thinking 265-75r16 or even 285's would look good on it. Anyway I am looking for a good set of all terrains and I am wondering would everyone prefers. I would like to keep the cost under 800 for all 4 but could go a little more.

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
Re: What tires?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 10:50:08 PM »
I've been VERY happy with the Goodyear Wrangler Authority from Wal Mart

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-Wrangler-Authority-Tire-LT265-75R16/11983160

I have an older ford and got the 31x10.50r15 but, they look good and perform REALLY well, especially for the price.  I'm about 3.5 years into them and they still have a bunch of tread left.  They grip well in the snow and in mud.  I recommend them to anyone asking

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 10:51:47 PM »
Load Range B?  :yike: On a truck? I put Load Range E tires on my 1/2 ton Chevy, I just didn't want any rock punctures. I'd go at least with a Load Range D. I like Coopers myself. They're reasonably priced and made in the USA. I have the Cooper Discoverer ATR's from Discount Tire. They're an all terrain Tire but not a very aggressive tread design. I bought them more for the low price and the gas mileage than their off road abilities.

I think I only paid $540, then there was a $75 mail in rebate from Cooper at the time. I think they are 285/75/16's.

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 10:59:48 PM »
Yeah they say standard load and they are 4 ply tires. Basically just the cheap stock replacements. So they are not going to work for riding around on the rocks around here. I have the authority's on my old truck they seem like decent tires. I'd like load range e as well.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 11:03:16 PM »
If you can hold off until just before hunting season, Cooper always has their $75 rebate in the fall. Actually, late summer. I Googled it and last year it started August 24th.

http://coopertirerebates.com/

Offline mkcj

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 12:13:52 AM »
Both my boys and I have Goodyear dura-tracs and have been very happy with them, quiet, good in the dirt and great in the snow.

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 06:40:29 AM »
Load Range B?  :yike: On a truck? I put Load Range E tires on my 1/2 ton Chevy, I just didn't want any rock punctures. I'd go at least with a Load Range D. I like Coopers myself. They're reasonably priced and made in the USA. I have the Cooper Discoverer ATR's from Discount Tire. They're an all terrain Tire but not a very aggressive tread design. I bought them more for the low price and the gas mileage than their off road abilities.

I think I only paid $540, then there was a $75 mail in rebate from Cooper at the time. I think they are 285/75/16's.
:yeah: Well said but also look at their ST Max, great tire.
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline Rick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 08:24:53 AM »
Load range E tires aren't any more puncture proof than C rated tires. Despite what everyone thinks,an E rated tire isn't 10 ply.

If you hop in your time machine and go back to 1970 and buy a set of bias tires for your truck,then you'd have a tire that actually has 6,8,10 ply construction.

Todays radials are ply equivalent meaning that a C rated tire will have similar carrying capacity as a 6 ply bias tire,a D rated radial will be similar to an 8 ply bias and so on.

You're wasting your money putting any more than a C rated tire on a half ton.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 08:28:56 AM »

Even if you pull a heavy travel trailer?

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 08:31:14 AM »
I would argue that heavily. E rated tires are much tougher and long lasting than c rated
Our shop truck which is a 1/2 ton chev goes 60k with e rated Cooper ATR's on it. With c's it might get 35k. My 3/4 ton diesel will eat a set of c rated in less thatn 10k.
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 08:34:56 AM »
Firestone Transforce AT. 10 ply, great tire.  :tup:
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 08:36:07 AM »
Pretty much all the tires I have available through our warehouse in the 265 size you mentioned are right around that $200 each mark without install. If you buy through a Ford dealer you also have a $60 mail in rebate right now. Ford dealers also do a low price guarantee on tires. They'll beat any advertised price. Just FYI. I don't list or offer any Cooper tires.
Also have a look at Nitto tires, they are made by the same company that makes the Toyo tires I think. The Trail Grappler is a nice tire.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 08:38:18 AM »
BFG All-Terain, excellent tire.
Just tend your own and live.

Offline FC

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 08:41:31 AM »
I had Nitto terra grapplers on my last truck and Bridgestone Revo 2's on my current one. Both are great tires, both very quiet on pavement and very good in ice, snow, mud or rocks. I would buy either tire again or Coopers.
The reason there are so many Ruger upgrades is because they're necessary.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 08:47:07 AM »

Even if you pull a heavy travel trailer?

I wonder if what Rick is saying is the majority of people are wasting their money with anything more than a C rated tire.
 There's definitely advantages to a heavier rated tire, but you get to a point where the ability of the tire exceeds the ability of the truck. Then it's just a matter of putting the E rated tires on for peace of mind or something like that.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal