collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How to Deal with Anti-Hunters and Harassment  (Read 19031 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
How to Deal with Anti-Hunters and Harassment
« on: June 21, 2013, 11:18:14 AM »
How to Deal with Anti-Hunters and Harassment

Posted on June 19, 2013

As avid sportsmen and women, we may cross paths with our biggest foes: the anti-hunting community.  Whether in the field, at a sporting event, a restaurant, or any other place, it is generally a rather unpleasant encounter.  If this happens to you in the field, the question is: How should I handle this situation?

Remember, hunter harassment is illegal in all 50 states!  Over 25 years ago, USSA wrote the draft hunter-harassment language that was used by the majority of states when they passed laws protecting hunters and hunting.  This language has withstood all court challenges during those decades.

If you happen to encounter an anti-hunter while in the field who attempts to disrupt your hunting experience, follow these USSA guidelines:

- Report the incident to authorities as soon as possible
 - Have an accurate description of the protesters, as well as a license plate number and vehicle information, if possible.
 - Be prepared to file harassment charges against the perpetrators

However, harassment doesn’t always just occur in the field; you can come across it during every day activities such as social gatherings or your child’s baseball game. Often times you will find yourself on the defensive end against uneducated individuals and it’s best to be prepared to help educate them.

- Be courteous, not defensive. Often times individuals are not educated on how hunters are actually helping conserve wildlife, and may just need to be told the facts.
 - Know your sport. Provide details on how hunters help fund conservation.  Sometimes individuals do not realize that hunters pay for wildlife conservation.
 - Explain that sportsmen eat their kill.  The animal rights lobby constantly spreads misinformation that hunters kill just to kill.

You may not succeed in persuading anyone about the positive aspects of hunting, but you will have at least left them with a better understanding of our outdoor heritage.

See more at: http://www.ussportsmen.org/antis/how-to-deal-with-anti-hunters-and-harassment/#sthash.QWuKQ6Jl.dpuf
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline washelkhunter

• Region 5 State Delegate #3
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Site sponsorhttp
  • Groups: TPE, NRA, RMEF, AST
Re: How to Deal with Anti-Hunters and Harassment
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 11:36:06 AM »
The die hard righteous anti hunter is becoming extremelly bold, or should i say radicalized? Two years ago we had a hunt ruined because of one. We had elk around us every night prior to and during the hunt. Day 4 my partner hears an elk barking and wonders what the heck. He moves off and away but the sound keeps following. He finally stops ands sees this guy across the way blowing on a call making the warning bark. This guy was in camo. Later that evening we talk about it and think it must be some rookie and his buds put him up to it, kinda like a snipe hunt. At 3am the following day my pard wakes up to hear somebody walking down the road blowing that call. 3am! Im crashed and dont rouse. 5 am were up and he tells me what happened. What! Now we know the score. Never saw or heard another elk after that. We have our own ideas about how to handle something like this again in the field and being polite doesnt figure into it.

Offline cowboycraig

• Longhunter
    • What is an Operator?
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 09:43:37 PM »
We have to be the most upright and respected in society. Always be kind and professional. Never give the anti-gun Liberty and Constitution loathing disturbingly large element in our country something to take to MSNBC (or the like).

Craig

Offline oldcamper

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 04:43:54 PM »
Never (be caught) educating an animal rights person the "old fashioned way".  :chuckle: Always insure all cameras are collected (by any means) and that there will be no chance of stories being told..  :dunno:

And most of all, always say thank you for your time.  :IBCOOL:

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 06:14:42 PM »
I just walk away becuase I have a quick temper and a filthy mouth. Would get myself in trouble
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline jpekarek

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 12:45:53 PM »
I have never had any luck "educating" anti hunters.  They are self righteous and refuse to listen to our logic 100% of the time.  I don't waste my time anymore.  I simply and politely walk away.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 05:32:44 PM »
Anti-hunter animal rights folks sure seem to be targeting pheasant release sites lately for some reason. They must think it's easy pickings or something :dunno: Hunters really do need to report them if they in ANY WAY interfere with their hunt. Enforcement needs to side with the hunter in cases like this. you would certainly hope .
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline snowpack

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 05:43:19 PM »
I'm mostly quiet and just nod at what they say.  They try to get into it with me, but not worth it.  A few days ago a couple were yelling/swearing and saying I needed to be shot because I shot a doe in my yard.  They trespassed into my yard to come yell.  Then as one was wandering off he yelled, "how do you sleep at night?"  I said, "usually on my side".  Then he started screaming all kinds of obscenities and left.  Came back later yelling and trying to provoke me, but I just ignored him.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 03:57:34 PM »
There is a little known federal law known as the Recreational Safety Hunting Act which was enacted in 1994. The offense 16 USC 5201 "obstruction of a lawful hunt" states "It is a violation of this section intentionally to engage in any physical conduct that significantly hinders a lawful hunt."

Now there are some restrictions to this law.

1- The offense MUST occur on federal lands
2- The offense is civil, not criminal meaning the offender cannot go to jail. Per 16 USC 5202(b) The penalty shall be—(1) not more than $10,000, if the violation involved the use of force or violence, or the threatened use of force or violence, against the person or property of another person; and (2) not more than $5,000 for any other violation.

Since it is civil it is not something that somebody can be cited for, but rather it takes civil action from the local US Attorney's Office.

Washington's law is as follows in RCW 77.15.210
(1) A person is guilty of obstructing the taking of fish[, shellfish,] or wildlife if the person:
(a) Harasses, drives, or disturbs fish, shellfish, or wildlife with the intent of disrupting lawful pursuit or taking thereof; or
(b) Harasses, intimidates, or interferes with an individual engaged in the lawful taking of fish, shellfish, or wildlife or lawful predator control with the intent of disrupting lawful pursuit or taking thereof.
(2) Obstructing the taking of fish, shellfish, or wildlife is a gross misdemeanor.

Unfortunately it is starting to become easier to get prosecution out of federal courts then it is local courts in WA for some of these mid-level natural resource cases. So if you think you were harassed and are on federal lands there are two routes to go; federal and state. With the reluctance to file fish and wildlife charges in some of the more populous counties in WA, the federal route may be the way to go. However the federal offense must be handled by a federal officer.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]