collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Experts Meet To Discuss Wolves Effect On Hunting  (Read 26815 times)

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Experts Meet To Discuss Wolves Effect On Hunting
« on: July 11, 2013, 11:25:30 AM »
WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

July 11, 2013

Experts from three western states to discuss
effects of wolves on hunting opportunities

OLYMPIA - Big game managers from Washington, Idaho and Montana will discuss their experiences managing game animals in areas populated by wolves during a live webcast July 18.

The event will take place from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. via the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s (WDFW) website ( http://wdfw.wa.gov/ ).  Viewers will have an opportunity to provide questions via email at july18event@dfw.wa.gov .

Montana and Idaho have been managing wolves longer than Washington and their experience can provide context to inform the department and citizens on how to confront the challenges that lie ahead, said Phil Anderson, WDFW director.

"We’ve been consulting with a number of experts, including our counterparts from other states, since wolves began to reappear in Washington to better prepare us for meeting the many challenges that come with having wolves back in the state," said Anderson, who will participate in the discussion.  "This will give the public an opportunity to hear directly from those who have been involved in wolf management in other areas of the west."

Jon Rachel, Idaho Department of Fish and Game’s state wildlife manager and Jim Williams, Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks’ northwest wildlife program manager will discuss the impacts wolves have had on deer, elk and other big game animals in their states.  They will also discuss strategies that successful big game hunters have adopted while hunting in their states.

Dave Ware, WDFW statewide game program manager, will describe the status of wolves and big game hunting in Washington.

For those unable to view the live webcast on July 18, it will remain available from the department’s webpage after the event.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
Re: Experts Meet To Discuss Wolves Effect On Hunting
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 11:37:55 AM »
Here we go!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline CedarPants

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 11:45:03 AM »
They will also discuss strategies that successful big game hunters have adopted while hunting in their states.

Why do I have a feeling this will be the main topic to come out of this meeting?

"We're going to let the wolves take what they want ...... so here are some suggestions for what you're going to have to do with what's left ....."

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 11:47:30 AM »
Nothing good is going to come out of this for hunters.

Offline norsepeak

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 11:55:28 AM »
Where are they gonna find some "experts"????  From what I've seen of the management of wolves in the other states, I see a serious shortage of "experts" :bash:

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 11:57:53 AM »
Where are they gonna find some "experts"????  From what I've seen of the management of wolves in the other states, I see a serious shortage of "experts" :bash:
Yeah, and what happened to the "we don't anticipate any effect on hunting" BS they were spewing in the proposal meetings!

Offline CedarPants

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 12:01:11 PM »

Here is the logic of one of Washington's appointed experts when it comes to wolves:

"In order to remain successful, hunters will have to adapt, which in turn will make them better hunters".

Jay Kehne.  August 2011

http://www.conservationnw.org/news/pressroom/press-clips/theres-more-to-the-wolf-story

Offline asl20bball

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 12:06:57 PM »
Viewers will have an opportunity to provide questions via email at:     july18event@dfw.wa.gov

With that in mind, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr once said, "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent abut things that matter most"

Flood 'em with emails fellas.....

Take up your bow, a quiver full of arrows, head out to the country and hunt some wild game.  GEN 27:3

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 12:15:29 PM »
I can't really think of any questions I'd have for them, other than "how much will a wolf tag cost and when does wolf season open?"

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 12:19:50 PM »
I mostly think that Hunting in washington state will predator based. I hope they come up with some kind of Predator combo like Wolf, Bear, Courgar. I can tell you that a savage model 24 in 30-30 12 ga or some other kind of combo will be entering the collection.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 12:22:54 PM »
Might still be some good bird hunting as well.  Or do wolves eat grouse and pheasant too?

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 12:25:25 PM »
Might still be some good bird hunting as well.  Or do wolves eat grouse and pheasant too?
i think they are equal opportunity preditors. ;)

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 12:26:01 PM »
Yeah, and what happened to the "we don't anticipate any effect on hunting" BS they were spewing in the proposal meetings!

obamacare wolf management team! mostly BS, but put a little frosting on for the people who haven't been paying attention/ welcome to another round of more BS.>>> SOS<<<<< :bfg:

Offline CedarPants

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 12:26:46 PM »

Coyotes do a pretty good job on those.

Then again, wolves eat coyotes  :chuckle:

Offline CedarPants

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 12:34:52 PM »
Not to threadjack (I suppose somewhat related as it has to do with wolf dispersement which will impact game numbers)- but was there anything posted on HuntWA about the collared Smackout Pack male that seems to have made his way pretty dang far west?  I read about it a couple months back or so but can't seem to locate anything on here about it?

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal