collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best car camping?  (Read 12811 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Best car camping?
« on: August 06, 2013, 03:09:20 PM »
After a crappy weekend at Sun Lakes State Park I'm wondering where you guys think are good car camping spots around the state. I'm a big fan of primitive camping but when there's multiple familys and small kids/babies/etc the primitive sites are not ideal in the eyes of the wives(mostly). I don't care what part of the state, just looking for the places you all think are the good ones. We like to go all over and we're not afraid to drive a ways.
What we didn't like about Sun Lakes... you have to put your tent in the gravel. You're camping about 8' away from your neighbor. There is a huge crowd and it's loud. Kinda like you're sleeping in a huge field with 200-300 of your closest drunk friends. Aside from that, I love that place and everything it has to offer. It's really gone downhill there the last few years. We used to go there a lot and always had a great time. This last time, we got almost literally no sleep. I think the drunks next to us finally shut up and went to bed around 3am.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline lostbackpacker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Best car camping?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 03:11:13 PM »
I know there are some primitive sites along the mt loop highway outside of granite falls.  been a few years since I've been there.  they are right along the road....
It is what you meant it to be...

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 03:18:19 PM »
Primitive sites won't keep the wives happy. We need bathrooms, etc. as there are babies.
The dads are planning on some primitive camping trips with the older kids at some point and I've got some good spots for that. Thanks though.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Becky

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 03:18:34 PM »
-Following- Always love finding new camp spots.

You're looking for a non-primative camp ground for the family? I always loved Coho Campground off Lake Wynoochee for family outings. Gorgeous area, lots of hikes, fishing, awesome swimming lake. If you go up the forest road past the camp there are a lot of primitive areas by the river (if you can talk the wives/others involved into it). I haven't been up there the last couple years though.

http://thecampingview.com/the_camping_view_coho.html (this website is neat for photos to browse through of public camps.)

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 03:19:32 PM »
PM sent
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Online Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 03:23:33 PM »
Banks Lake has some nice spots in that area up around Osborne Bay, next to the golf course. The Tucannon Valley has a lot of nice campsites through out. I also like the Sinlahekin Valley, beautiful country up there and lots of camping and lakes from Concunully all the way to Palmer Lake. Haven't been up that way in a long time. I should make it a point to get back there! Mostly it is Primitive camping though. In the Tucannon you can stay at the Last Resort. Nice little place with a general store and the bathrooms with showers. The MacArthurs are good folks too!(owners)
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 03:24:22 PM »

Offline Goldeneye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • One shot One Kill
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 03:24:38 PM »
I have a neighbor who goes to Deception Pass state park every year.  They seem to have a good time.  Never actually camped there so I can't vouch for the noise level... 

http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/?selectedpark=deception%20pass&subject=all

Offline firefighter4607

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • My Elk Story (picture of elk on my Avatar)
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 03:31:09 PM »
I will have to find my book, it has a lot of good information on it.
Silver Falls is in that book, and it was a nice campground. With a trail that went up to the falls.
 http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/okawen/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=58065&actid=31

Offline sneakyjake

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 03:35:15 PM »
I was at sun lakes this last week and we got literally no sleep from the noise and close quarters.  I haven't been there before and didn't know what I was getting into.  We stayed at the resort in an rv spot and stayed in a tent because I pulled my boat.  Probably won't do it again.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 04:09:19 PM »
I know there are some primitive sites along the mt loop highway outside of granite falls.  been a few years since I've been there.  they are right along the road....

:yeah:

Some beautiful spots along the rivers there! If I ever move back I will definitely be camping around there a few times.

I myself don't like campgrounds either. I don't like the noise or being close to everyone else. I went camping a few weeks ago and heard those same drunk a-holes up talking adult conversations and there were kids in our camp. Other than needing to bring more water I'm not sure what there is to miss about those campgrounds. I hate the toilets myself. They smell like hell and are disgusting to even look in. I'm not sure where a campground exists that had running water and a bathroom but not a lot of other campers b

Offline Stick em

• Hunter
  • Fortune favors the prepared!
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 04:13:24 PM »
Voice of America in Dungeness has non-primitive site that has bathrooms and showers. The place is packed with deer and is right on the Bluff. Day hiking to the lighthouse is great. The sites are good size but it does fill up fast so make reservations. It is very close to a bunch of sites like the Game Farm, Lavender farms & wine tasting. It is a great site to keep the family comfortable while you go hunt deer & grouse in the surrounding hills. Of course if you want to get up in the hills a bit, try Dungeness Forks Campground. It's up towards the Buckhorn Wilderness. No showers but there are decent bathrooms and large campsites.

Offline hrd2fnd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Washington for Wildlife
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 04:27:13 PM »
Gold Basin Campground, WA on MT Loop

http://www.recreation.gov/unifSearchResults.do?topTabIndex=Search
Activities and Amenities

Within Facility
•Accessible Flush Toilets
•Amphitheater
•Canoeing
•Drinking Water
•Entrance Station
•Firewood
•Fishing
•Flush Toilets
•Hiking
•Horseback Riding Trails
 •Host
•Interpretive Trails
•Kayaking
•Picnic Area
•River Access
•Self Pay Station
Showers
•Trails
•Trash Collection
•Wildlife Viewing
$22/Night for single unit
$11/Night for extra vehicle
$35/$125/Night for multi/group site
$5 day use fee

Family enjoyed our week there, and the wife was happy for flush toilets and showers 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 04:38:21 PM by hrd2fnd »
"Believe in your abilities and confidence will lead you on"

Offline hrd2fnd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 04:28:48 PM »
I have a neighbor who goes to Deception Pass state park every year.  They seem to have a good time.  Never actually camped there so I can't vouch for the noise level... 

Nice state park, but good luck getting reservations this time of year as the can-Asians have then reserved months in advance.

Larabee is not to bad if you can stand the trains going by throughout the night

Offline hrd2fnd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 05:52:28 PM »

really the only noise you will have is the sound of freedom as air station whidbey island is not that far away and the flight pattern takes them over the campground.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull