collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Why can't I find deer!?  (Read 10642 times)

Offline steeliedrew

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Why can't I find deer!?
« on: September 02, 2013, 06:57:26 PM »
Well, I've been hunting hard yesterday and today in 460, 448, and as we speak 407. While in these units I've been in the foothills around Monroe, and sultan. Yesterday I put an easy 10+ miles on my mountain bike and hunted some good looking trails through various timber stands. I've seen one deer all weekend and that was this morning, while driving to the woods. Haha.

I feel like with the amount of ground I've covered I should have at least bumped a few. Maybe I'm in the wrong places due to the hot weather? I know some great areas that hold deer consistently in units further from home. I'm just trying to learn 460, 448, and 407 because I can easily hunt them on weekdays after work. I even had a trail cam baited with apples and a molasses and corn block. The last soak was about 25 days and only had one doe come in. I did however have a bear come in and visit quite a few times. I got over 900 pics of just the bear.

I pulled the camera yesterday due to the low deer action on it and since we can't bait bear it does me no good to keep feeding it. he's a big boar though. I hope to run into him while not around that bait site.

Those who know these units, do you feel like they get poached a bunch or something?  Or are all the deer, city deer living around all the houses? for the amount of deer crossing signs there are also I'd expect to see more on the roads too. If you wouldn't mind helping a guy get on some local deer send me a PM and I'll tell you where I've been focusing.

maybe the hot weather has them locked down?

Drew
Every thought of my being is in regards to being a high tech predator and I relish the role.

Offline steeliedrew

• Longhunter
Re: Why can't I find deer!?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 07:03:45 PM »
I did flush 6 grouse today and one rabbit. Non of which presented a shot with the bow. seen a couple grouse yesterday too.
Every thought of my being is in regards to being a high tech predator and I relish the role.

Offline furiouzgeorge

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 07:45:06 PM »
I hunted 437 and 407 this weekend. Saw one deer...while driving to the woods! Tempted to ask the land-owner for permission but I didn't want to make a bad impression dressed in camo with a bow in hand and ask if I could 'kill that thur danged deer over thur!' so I didn't. I also wanted to work for it! I saw plenty of tracks, spooked two Bear (never saw them but they made sure I heard them!) and managed to practice sitting still for hours...dang I'm getting good at that!!! I don't know if it's the heat but I know where I was hunting the wind was REALLY unpredictable. I guess they don't like moving around too much when they can't rely on their sense of smell. Might be an uneducated guess, but it's a guess none the less.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty. " ~ Thomas Jefferson

Offline Stickerbush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 08:00:31 PM »
I also live close to those areas, but have never really deer hunted them. Went out today for grouse though up farther down hwy 2. Best I can figure is get your spot chosen with plenty of sign and sit it out, cant really expect to hike around too much in those areas as they are super thickly vegetated
Coastal Perspective.

Offline JWhite22

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 08:43:08 PM »
Keep hitting it hard. It will pay off and when it does it will be worth it!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:44:24 PM by JWhite22 »

Offline bankwalker

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 09:25:26 PM »
460 has plenty of deer. Back before Hancock bought the snoqualmie tree farm, we use to go in at the Griffen creek gate and kill a lot of deer off the J-line.
I haven't been back in there since 2010, but its not a bad mountain bike ride  :tup: lots of bear too.

Offline MLhunter1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 09:45:41 PM »
Look for christmas tree kinda stuff. A clear cut just old enough to provide good cover but still you can see and shoot 20yds ish.  If you find that in an area that has good deer sign they will be there. 

Offline _TONY_

• TWO BAD HOMBRES
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Sagebrush junkie
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 10:04:10 PM »
I'd give it a couple more days... It is, after all,  only the day after the opening...

Offline lagnar

• Hunter
  • Do-Gooder.
    • if you know NBA then you know me....
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 10:42:12 PM »
I finally realized I don't see deer as often as I did before because my hearing is fading.
Hunting, Basketball, Cars.... not much more for me to talk about.

Offline hoyt5199

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 10:56:16 PM »
I feel your frustration. I to hunt the sultan and Monroe area. A lot of trail cam picts of nice bucks but as soon as the season begins they go nocturnal it seems to me. There are deer around the area but they are in thick cover, cover not easily accessible. I did see a nice 2 pt tonight between gold bar and index, he cam out at dusk but couldn't get a shot. Keep at it. Walk down trails where people more than likely wont travel. Also get go farther in and just pick a spot with sign and just sit.

Offline steeliedrew

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 10:58:09 PM »
thanks everybody. I'll keep hammering. I did manage to harvest a nice rabbit while walking back to my bike tonight. It was 8:05 and was walking down the road with my bow already on my pack. I spotted the rabbit and was able to take my pack off, grab the bow, nock a grouse arrow (not my FMJ's) and draw on him. I let my 20 yard pin settle on him and touched off the release. With a head shot it was a bunny in the bag! :)

Offline steeliedrew

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 05:21:33 AM »
hopefully this rain will get em moving.

Offline reagansquad

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 03:32:53 PM »
I spent all day up there yesterday and barely even saw any sign let alone deer. I heard few grunting from not far away though, but no way am I going to walk 50 yards into 6' blackberry bushes.

Offline Bullets_n_Octane

• Wanna eat organic? GO HUNT!!
  • Hunter
  • Whack Em and Stack Em!
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 06:11:07 PM »
We're supposed to get 4 inches of rain in the foothills/mountains this friday. I bet they ALL move around! Bears too... I'll wait a bit. Nothin worse than a Wetside induced cold from soaked vegetation!

Offline DoubleJ

• YAR Nutcracker
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 06:46:18 AM »
We're supposed to get 4 inches of rain in the foothills/mountains this friday. I bet they ALL move around! Bears too... I'll wait a bit. Nothin worse than a Wetside induced cold from soaked vegetation!

:yeah:

Hate hunting in the rain.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal