collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Taxidermy advice??  (Read 5277 times)

Offline biggamehunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Taxidermy advice??
« on: October 29, 2008, 01:53:25 AM »
I was just curious if you guys and gals had any advice on how i should start off doing taxidermy ( any good books? videos?) Ive been wanting to do this since i got out of high school and i cant afford to go to one of the schools. So i guess i could just try and do my own kills and see if any of my buddys would let me do some of their smaller kills. What do you think? Any advice would be much appreciated. thanks

Offline KillBilly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • I kill therefore I Am
Re: Taxidermy advice??
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 05:46:25 AM »
Find a Taxidermist in your area and ask him if you can do some part time work for him while attempting the trade. Most Taxi's seem to be behind and could use some sort of help. Tell him you'll work free just to watch and learn. It's a good way to see if you really want to do it.
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem.
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother.

Offline bowsandhose

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 06:03:54 AM »
are you looking for a hobby or a career? i would think for a career you would need school or an apprentice of a taxidermist but i don't know. i will let one pros answer that. as far as a hobby it is fun but expensive. its hard to get good at anything when you don't get to do it much. I have had years were i had nothing to do   :bash:
as for books and videos there are allot of good ones. but they seem to all teach the basics. but they leave out the trade secrets to let you reinvent the wheel  :chuckle:
good luck
Travis
Any animal with a bow is a trophy.               IAFF
Save a 1000 elk kill a wolf.

Offline biggamehunter

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 06:34:15 AM »
thanks for the input guys. I might try calling a couple local taxidermists to see if they need some help. thanks again.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 06:40:42 AM »
There are a couple real good magazines out that are fun to read, if nothing else, but also offer technique and each one shows how to do different animals etc.    They are also just cool.  They cover everything form biggame to fish.  You can buy backissues or just start from scratch.  They also have lots of advertisements to other learning materials.  They are Taxidermy Today   and Breakthrough.  ANother suggestion is getting an old catolog from a taxidermist or heck if you want phone numbers to the company I can give you a couple and you cna call them.  They all offer videos.  Pick a species you want to focus on and get a video.  I did it from that and practice.

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 07:59:57 AM »
Everyone covered what I would have said! Definately get those magazines, the subscriptions are expensive but they have great info in them. Its like christmas everytime I get one in the mail  :chuckle: I would recomend the Scott Brewer videos, they have some good info on diferent techniques he uses when mounting game but arent really a good beginer video, more for someone who wants to better the work they already do. Hands on is your best bet for learning, and if you can talk a Taxidermist in to letting you be in the way that would be the best way to learn. Another thing that you will learn a bunch from is joining the National Taxidermist Association and traveling to the Taxidermy competitions and going through there seminars. I gaurantee you will learn from them, they are usually put on by some world champion taxidermists. Washington doesnt have anything going on, too much bickering between taxidermists so we had out Taxidermy assosiation fall apart and no one is willing to step up and put it back together again. You would have to go to Oregon or Idaho. Those are some fun Competitions to go to, you will see some awesome work from real Pros to beginers work . You can get questions asked at www.Taxidermy.net also, check it out. Good luck.

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 10:49:58 AM »
Kinda hard to add anything to what everyone else has said.

You don't have to go to school to do taxidermy as a carear.  Though you can't just decide to pen a buisness tomarrow after you've mounted your first animal.  You must be dedicated and motivated enough to improve on your work with every piece you do.  Some schools just make it easier.  They will teach you the basics.  You have to be careful which schools you choose.  Some of them are just flat out awful and will teach you bad habits that will take years to break.

I never went to school for taxidermy.  I started going over to a freind of my dads shop and watching him work.  I picked up enough just from watching to jump into the art.  You will never stop learning.  Their will always be a critter or a pose that you have never done befor.  I buy or borrow any and every taxidery video or DVD I can get my hands on or can afford at the time.  I don't care if it's an animal I've done 1000 times.  Their is always the chance I will learn something new that will improve my work.

Offline KillBilly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • I kill therefore I Am
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 11:56:44 AM »
I was just curious if you guys and gals had any advice on how i should start off doing taxidermy ( any good books? videos?) Ive been wanting to do this since i got out of high school and i cant afford to go to one of the schools. So i guess i could just try and do my own kills and see if any of my buddys would let me do some of their smaller kills. What do you think? Any advice would be much appreciated. thanks

Actually, contact Coasthunterjay and ask him what he thinks. He was doing an apprenticeship type of thing up where he lives. He may have some feed back for ya.
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem.
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother.

Offline Hunting Cowboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 05:43:14 PM »
I have to agree with everything that has been said. The videos are a good starting point, the magazines are great, especially after you've mastered the basics. These do help with some reference pictures as well. But after you've studied and have watched a few instructional videos/DVD's, nothing can help you more than rolling up your sleeves and trying it. Don't expect competition quality results right away though.

Having the right tools and such is also something not to skimp on or underestimate. As you gain more experience and confidence, you can add tools and other educational references. Like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it.

The most helpful thing to me when I was really on a steep learning curve was attending the taxidermy competitions and going to the seminars. I got to know a few taxidermists that I could call when I ran into something I didn't understand.

As the old saying goes........."I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you." Good luck!

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 07:44:33 PM »
"I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

I like that quote.

Offline biggamehunter

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 10:32:15 PM »
well thanks again everyone. Everyones input is much appreciated. Ill start looking into those magazines i think.

Offline pjb3

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 09:31:06 PM »
I can probable help ya. I have been doing taxidermy for 30 years and teach people how to do it hands on. I like to do this just for fun. Where you located?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]