collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: My 23 lb. Christmas dinner prime rib!  (Read 24695 times)

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: My 23 lb. Christmas dinner prime rib!
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2013, 09:52:33 PM »
 :yeah:

Offline Elkrunner

• Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2013, 09:18:25 AM »
I buy my dad a 15# prime rib to cook for his birthday every year and I though those were big!

I love prime rib, but I just can't rationalize making one for my family. My wife and daughter are vegetarians, and the boy and I can only eat so much meat in one sitting! :chuckle: By the time I get one the right size for the two of us, it's just a really big steak. :chuckle:

Andrew

Vegetarians?  More elk and deer for you huh?

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2013, 10:03:43 AM »
I totally spaced out on the finish pic, it was a zoo at the house!  I had to feed 18 adults and 3 kids.  The rib would have cost 240.00 at the regular price but I'm friends w the owner so I got a good break.  I remembered to take a pic after dished everyone up, sorry.  One finish rib looks like the rest, you guys have some very good looking ribs on here!  I cook with the bone in because we love the ribs for lunch the next day.  The rock Salt doesn't seem to have any affect with our juices,  must have used half a roll of paper towels to keep the juice was running all over the place when cuttting up.  I am interested in the ageing process, how long and where do you age it at?  I pulled it off at 124 in the center which was a bit too high for my family, lots of blood rare people.  I normally pull at 115
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2013, 10:12:23 AM »
I've never seen one that big.  Fascinating thread.  That earth oven is unreal looking.   Nice job fellas.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2013, 10:24:32 AM »
I've never seen one that big.  Fascinating thread.  That earth oven is unreal looking.   Nice job fellas.
yeah, that earth oven is really cool.  Can't imagine how good that cooks food.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2013, 10:53:57 AM »
Badhabit, is that a potato next to your prime rib? Did you slice it before cooking? how did you cook that, it looks great?
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline xd2005

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2013, 11:25:02 AM »
I'm a big Alton Brown (Good Eats) fan. On his last podcast he talked about doing his "prime rib" for Christmas.

In actuality, he does not do "prime rib," but rather purchases a Choice grade of standing beef rib roast. He then wraps in a few layers of cheesecloth dry ages for a couple weeks in the fridge. On cooking day, bring to room temp, unwrap, and cut off any areas that are too dry.

He then throws in on an oven rack (with pan under to catch drippings) and cook at low temp (he actually did not say what temp, but guessing low to mid 200's) for like 4-5 hours, until temp hits 120. Then take roast out and let it rest while turning oven up to 500. When carryover heat brings roast up to almost 130. Throw it back in the over for like 15 to 20 minutes until you get a nice dark char and take it out to rest again for 15-20 minutes before carving.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2013, 11:33:58 AM »
I roasted a 10 lb NY sirloin strip and we were all too sick to eat it.  :cryriver:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2013, 11:36:41 AM »
I roasted a 10 lb NY sirloin strip and we were all too sick to eat it.  :cryriver:

If you were all too sick to eat it, why didn't you wait a week to roast it until you all would be able to enjoy it? :dunno:

Offline brianb231

• Longhunter
    • NorthWest Metal Art
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2013, 11:59:17 AM »
Hey Jerry,

NIce lookin roast there! yes, we thought we were having Prime Rib for Christmas Dinner at Jays house so we did not make one and it turned out he made a big Ham. So I am making a prime rib for the family tomorrow night! Yummy!

Merry Christmas!

Brian

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2013, 12:06:13 PM »

If you were all too sick to eat it, why didn't you wait a week to roast it until you all would be able to enjoy it? :dunno:

We actually literally started getting sick the afternoon of the 24th while i was cooking it. Daughter first, then wife, then me. By the time it was dinner time, none of us were hungry.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2013, 12:26:33 PM »
I shouldn't have looked at this because now I am so hungry that I might have to take an early lunch!  :drool:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2013, 12:31:53 PM »
Traeger style
:yike: I can tell you this ...that is one fine looing plate of food right their now  :bow: :bow: I was going take a picture of our dinner but the wife was in my way  :chuckle: We had Prime Rib - scallop potatoes -- stuffed mushrooms and salad ...Now tonight I will be making Rubens with the left overs  :drool:

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2013, 12:50:10 PM »
Come and get it!!!!!! Dinner's on. An 8 lb Prime Rib, no bone. Cooked at 250 in the BGE. Took it out at an internal temp of 126. Let is rest for 30 min. Internal temp when I pulled the probe was 135. Good eats.

What's the wrapped up thingy on the plate ?
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Badhabit

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2013, 01:01:23 PM »
The Potato is a Yukon Gold, the recipe is calls it a "Hasselback" potato. She put it down between 2 chop sticks and slices it about 1/8" apart. The chop sticks are so you don't cut all the way through. It's suppose to resemble the leaves of or on an accordion. Then thinly slice a clove of garlic and slide between the slices about every other one. Then baste with some rosemary infused olive oil. Really tasty. Along with the prime rib and potato we had Broccoli salad and cheesy green beans.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal