collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cougar Management Removal Program  (Read 7638 times)

Offline villageidiot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Cougar Management Removal Program
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2014, 03:01:49 PM »
I talked to the uncle of a guy that went to the Gardner unit near Winthrop.  He said the boundaries were clearly restricted to an extremely small section of the unit most of which was private property.  Without spending several days knocking on doors asking for permission it was useless.  The guy went home extremely unhappy and of course never saw a track. He's not going back.   It appears WDFW deliberately set this thing up to fail.  Once it fails they can come out publicly and announce  WE OPENED IT UP FOR HOUND HUNTERS TO CATCH THE PROBLEM COUGARS BUT THEY DID NOT SUCCEED.  WE'VE DONE ALL WE CAN DO TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM.
 Sincerely    Washington Dept. of Fish and No Game

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2014, 03:28:11 PM »
soon as my batteries charge up a bit I'm heading back out again. 

first couple stands this morning were dead quiet  :(

boy not feeling too good neither  :(  so I'll be solo this evening.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2014, 08:46:36 PM »
I had a couple of dog run in front of my camera back in December, I have never hunted with dogs, I assume these dogs were being used to hunt?
nothing to worry about ..they were running coons  :dunno: :tup:

Offline mountainman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2014, 08:06:28 PM »
All I cansayto my friend Bill..go get em and shoot all that come near! :tup:
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline jstokes12

• Pilgrim
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2014, 07:12:20 AM »
When I was about 12 years old I bought one hound dog from guy in Port Orchard, my parents helped pay for two more.  My goal at that time was to train them to hunt bears.  It wasn't long after that that the ban on hounds was passed.  We kept the dogs and would run them on coons, eventually some *censored* bag stole one of our best dogs.  We found out who it was and they claimed the dog ran away from them on a walk...ok maybe.  They were good dogs but never lived up to their potential both lived good lives and I was sad to see them go.  We ended up purchasing two more hounds about 6 years ago two redbones from a guy in the Tacoma area.  We almost bought one from Del Cameron...read his book it teaches you how to raise and train how dogs which is almost impossible.  Anyways they are good dogs but once again still waiting for the legislation to change.

Every time we go look for elk in the cascades we find loads of cougar tracks.  During the modern rifle hunt we were closing in a group of elk in some old reprod.  When we walked out along the logging road to circle around these elk two sets of cougar tracks were walking in our footsteps in the snow.  In fact one cougar had attacked an elk possible calf and I believe mortally wounded this calf.  We tracked them for about a mile and gave up.  It wouldn't have been legal for us to take the elk anyways; I mean how could we have explained that to a game warden.  Sure sure yeah a cougar killed the elk, RIGHT.  Needless to say I have gone back several times to scout elk and every time we found multiple sets of cougar tracks.  It's getting old.  Why was this legislation passed anyways most of the liberal wieners don't understand wildlife to begin with, they never leave the cities.  Why was the decision put in their hands, when a competent wildlife biologist or hunter would have sufficed.  They haven't seen the damage predators’ cause and the need for management.  Just saying.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]