collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Remington Laminated stocks....  (Read 3117 times)

Offline GoldTip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Remington Laminated stocks....
« on: September 12, 2007, 02:44:02 PM »
Anyone with any experience with the laminated stocks from Remington?  Found a new 270win in laminated stainless I am thinking about picking up for my Dad as a birthday present, but have never had any experience with the Laminates.  Any pro's or con's from anyone here on the site?
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
Re: Remington Laminated stocks....
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 03:35:10 PM »
The stocks are built to last.  No problems holding zero at -5 temps and low humidity.  No experience using it in rainy conditions.  If it is for bench shooting it is great.  If your dad is older, you may want to consider something a little lighter weight.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 07:10:45 PM »
The only problem I have ever had is weight. That might help keep the recoil down if you dad is older?

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 08:07:34 AM »
Well I don't think weight is truly an issue if you stick with any of the remington 700's.  If you check the website, the SPS, BDL, XCR and Laminated guns of the same caliber and barrel length all weigh the same.  So unless a guy goes with one of the Mountain rifles, there is no weight saving amongst the remingtons.  I do not want to get to light of a gun, as for some reason as he has aged, going to be 60, he has become recoil shy, and his 300 weatherby he just can not shoot well anymore. 

He took a bad scope bite (broke his nose and 18 stitches) about 30 years ago, and has not been able to sight a gun in since that time.  But it had never bothered him shooting at animals.  But the last 4-5 years when my brother and I had been with him when he shot at animals with the weatherby, he made some horrendous shots.  It was appalling.  My brother or I would shoot the gun and it shot fine.  We blamed it on his eyes, but then he'd go out and shoot his 240 weatherby and make repeated 150-200 yard head shots on deer and antelope!  So we decided it wasn't his eyes, plus he got an eye exam which was perfect and he doesn't even need cheaters for the sunday paper.  He shoots well with my Moms 270win so we decided we'd get him one for his birthday.  Hopefully he will like this gun and be able to shoot it well.  It's also got the new remington R3 recoil pad, which I believe is made by Sims.  Or at least it feels a lot like the Sims pads I have put on my personal magnums, so recoil with the 270 win should be OK for him.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline arrowflinger

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/ChasingWildCreatures
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 08:46:50 AM »
Love them Laminated Stocks. I Have put them on all my rifles............order them from Boyd's great place to get them from. Good Stocks, In-expensive and great Customer service.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal