collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wireless Dog fence  (Read 3556 times)

Offline ThePascoKid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Wireless Dog fence
« on: January 19, 2009, 11:56:53 AM »
Anyone ever tried/have any luck with these wireless dog fences? I recently moved into a new house on an acre and my pup is getting a more and more bold about exploring the sagebrush and the vacant lot next door. I thought one of these, if they work, would give him a little room to run but not to much until I can get a fence built.
You old sailor you, you motor boatin' son of a bitch

Offline Idabooner

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: Wireless Dog fence
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 12:56:12 PM »
I've been wondering the same thing. I have a little over 200 yards of house and barn yard that is bordered by county road. A buried electric fence would be the ticket if it works good. Now I have the snow bank that's holding my pup in but that's only good for another month.
I think there is a thread on here about underground fence but couldn't find it.

Offline ThePascoKid

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 01:00:07 PM »
Yeah, I searched  on herealso with no luck, I have heard that the buried wire fences work good, but it sure would be a lot easier to use one of the wireless models if they work.  I'm bordered by a county road to the east also and that's my main concern, lost in the sage I can handle, hit by a car will be a tough one to explain to my 2 young boys.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »
Big burly rooster jumps from the sage, the chase is on and the dog is gone! Buy a 10' x 12' kennel put a lock on it and keep your hunting partner safe. They are really cheap on craigslist, buy a couple and make a larger run if you feel guilty about not enough room to roam. I hate hearing about people losing their dogs to coyotes, getting hit by cars etc....or, worse yet a nice purebred bitch in heat getting tagged by the neighbors pomeranian.....ugg....... :o
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline ThePascoKid

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 01:25:40 PM »
I'm going to build a kennel also here in the next couple months I'm looking for a temporary fix to my problem until I can build the fence and the kennel, by the way I keep an eye on him when he's out I don't just let him run.  This isn't my first lab I know how they can be.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 01:32:44 PM »
Pasco, I kept our dog on an overhead cable runner for 18years of pottying in our yard. I wasnt going to,...origianally I built a fence, and the day I let him out in the fenced yard, he ran at it and cleared the 6foot fence with his back legs helping with the extra push to get over it...  :yike:

The dog was a house dog, but when we put him out, we just clipped the lead to his collar and he had the whole yard to explore...

I maintained an overhead cable with a pulley able to slide from one end of our yard to the other. A 16foot lead from the pulley to the dog, he could enjoy the entire backyard with minimal inconveniece.  I placed a wire "stop" at each end of the cable so he could not get to the fence to jump over it and hang himself... Worked great. Just be sure he cannot go over something and hang himself...
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline benbo30

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 11:17:56 PM »
my female lab is on a over head lead in my yard , i rent a house in maple valley on 1 acre , i live on the busiest street there is year called 169 or better known as maple valley hwy , there is no fence around this place , and when i first got my female black lab she was maybe 6 months old i had just let her out of her kennel (this is before i installed the lead ) she was so happy to see me  so she went to take a piss or crap , in the meantime i went to the road to get my mail well my dog ran so fast that she couldnt stop in time before she ran in the road (now keep in mind its around 4 30 and everyone is heading home) welll by the time she stopped she was in the middle of the highway she had dodged a semi truck by an inch (luckily he tapped his breaks a little)  turned back around and dodge a car by a couple ft .... i was so scared that my dog was gonna die that day by heart was pound so hard ...... we she was back to safety i had told her no bad dog and have spent time letting her know she is not aloud by the road .... now when i go get the mail she sits in the middle of the drive way waitng for me sometimes she come out there with me but now she knows its dagerous ..... she is 1.5 yrs old now .... i have had her on a overhead lead with a 30ft leash on it since that day..... i think i am lucky now because i have her trained for the yard i can leave her outside off the leash and she knows she is not allowed at or near the road ..... and now i have a 10 week old yellow lab that we just got a couple weeks ago and he is in training for the same thing and more.... so i would recommend that you use something to get your dogs in the yard like a lead or invisible fencing or maybe even the wireless deal

Offline ThePascoKid

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 08:03:29 AM »
so nobody has any expereince with the wireless fence  :dunno:

Offline luvtohnt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 08:40:08 AM »
I used an invisible fence for my Rott. She would continualy jump up on the 3 foot fence in the front yard and try to get anyone walking bye. If your dog is smart it won't work. I followed the training video to the T and when the batteries kept dying I tried to figure it out by watching my dog when I put her out. She would lay on the lawn where the range would beep to warn her and wait till the beeping stopped, then with a dead battery she could proceed to harrass people who walked by.

Brandon

Offline ThePascoKid

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 11:26:26 AM »
that's pretty smart, I'm hoping by getting him trained at a young age it won't be an issue, like I said it's only a temporary fix until the fence is built anyway.  I am really not interested in putting him on a line I can see what would happen he would just wear a path in my yard.

Online WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 11:42:50 AM »
I've got an invisible fence, works like a champ for my brit.  We trained her on it at 12 weeks.  My neighbor also has one for his lab.  Never seen that dog across the fence, and can't remember the last time I saw him with his collar on.

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 12:03:08 PM »
so nobody has any expereince with the wireless fence  :dunno:

I have one I installed last year for my Choc lab puppy and it worked for a little while but like someone else said as soon as She found out she can get a running start and get over it ... it doesn't work for her anymore!!! Damn smart dogs anyway! It might work on something stupid like a wiener dog though.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline croix

• Sourdough
  • 2005 Blacktail
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 12:08:41 PM »
I hate hearing about people losing their dogs to coyotes, ....or, worse yet a nice purebred bitch in heat getting tagged by the neighbors pomeranian.....ugg....... :o

These would be my concerns re: wireless fences. I have friends who use them and their dogs wouldn't jump that wireless for ANYTHING. It works great for keeping the dogs in... but does nothing for keeping animals out. I've also heard that the wireless is obviously less expensive than building a fence but the cost is still pretty substantial - esp. with large property. I would rather put that money into a kennel or fence. Just my opinion though.
Live your life in such a way that if someone were to speak poorly of you, nobody would believe them.

Browning A-Bolt II, 30-06
Hoyt Alphamax 32, 70/28

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]