collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New draw in Wa?  (Read 20936 times)

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
Re: New draw in Wa?
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2009, 01:10:57 PM »
What about youth only being allowed to put in for youth permits, and when they reach 16 their points start at zero again. I have heard of folks buying the ghost point for their youth from age 8 even, and when they are 16 they start out with 8 points, that puts a bunch of high point applicants in the mix right off the bat. maybe they would have to make more youth permits but thats ok with me !!  :dunno:
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline shanevg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/shanevg
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2009, 01:14:13 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with building points for your kids.  It still takes them just as long as it take anyone else and it is still just as hard to draw.  Why put kids at anymore of a disadvantage then they are already at by starting to accumulate points 10+ years after the rest of us.

I just say do away with points completely!

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2009, 01:16:59 PM »
No points, One choice for one species......and CASH up front no credit cards.
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline hogsniper

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2009, 01:25:39 PM »
Why do you guys want them to make so many rules regarding putting in for special draws?? What benefit is going to come from them?? It seems pretty good right now the way you can hunt an easy draw area every three to four years and have to wait or be damned lucky to hunt the premium areas!!!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2009, 01:32:22 PM »
Utah gave up on that(limiting it)  They figured they could get more funds by opening it up.  It also has a preference system so you'll probably have a hard time catching up to the species you haven't been banking points for.  They just figured out another way to get $10 of your money without you being able to draw. LOL

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2009, 01:35:31 PM »
Im on the 50 year plan for tardville :chuckle:
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline stumprat

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2009, 01:41:34 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with building points for your kids.  It still takes them just as long as it take anyone else and it is still just as hard to draw.  Why put kids at anymore of a disadvantage then they are already at by starting to accumulate points 10+ years after the rest of us.

I just say do away with points completely!

:yeah:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2009, 01:46:21 PM »
Thats what I want.  Two states I have drawn in and had a great hunt (both don't have point systems.)  ITS A TRAP FOR YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!all it is, with an illusion

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2009, 08:29:16 PM »
   Want an easy draw? Put in for a cow tag.  It's the same way in every state. . . Premier tags take many years to draw.
Whats sad is even cow tags are getting tough to draw here.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2009, 09:28:05 PM »
I think we have one of the best draw systems anywhere. Ours is modeled after Nevada's. I would agree with the idea of limiting the number of choices. Two choices is enough, one would be better, but I could live with two. Increasing the cost at least for the moose, sheep, and goat permits would help as well. AND, limiting the number of non-residents. The main problem with the draw in this state is there are too many hunters and not enough animals.

Offline shanevg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/shanevg
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2009, 09:32:53 PM »
I think we have one of the best draw systems anywhere. Ours is modeled after Nevada's. I would agree with the idea of limiting the number of choices. Two choices is enough, one would be better, but I could live with two. Increasing the cost at least for the moose, sheep, and goat permits would help as well. AND, limiting the number of non-residents. The main problem with the draw in this state is there are too many hunters and not enough animals.

:yeah:  Perfect!

Offline Huntbear

• I am a BAD Kitteh
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
  • Y.A.R. Jester aka Smart Ass
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1236486665
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2009, 10:19:12 PM »
My buddy has 10 points, I have 7, my brother like 6.  Not one of us can get drawn for even a cow tag... then a guy we know, first year, gets a cow tag in the coweeman.  that is just wrong!  Make it so if you want to accumulate points, have ghost #s that will never get drawn.
By my honorable conduct as a hunter let me give a good example and teach new hunters principles of honor, so that each new generation can show respect for their god, other hunters and the animals, and enjoy the dignity of the hunt.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2009, 10:24:45 PM »
That's what's good about it. A person can get drawn with no points. Otherwise there wouldn't be any reason to even apply. If you're not getting drawn try for some less popular permits.

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2009, 10:29:14 PM »
Utah gave up on that(limiting it)  They figured they could get more funds by opening it up.  It also has a preference system so you'll probably have a hard time catching up to the species you haven't been banking points for.  They just figured out another way to get $10 of your money without you being able to draw. LOL

Ain't that the truth...those little weazels.  Even sent out an email to all the NRs touting how we now have the "opportunity" to apply for all the species!  Hence why I dropped Utah this year...figure there's no way I can catch up with the limited number of tags and all the people in front of me.

I like our current system.  Squaring points gives long time applicants a huge advantage, but everyone's still in the draw.  At least you've got a chance...can't say that for a lot of the hunts in other states.

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
  • Those who can do. Those who can't complain.
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2009, 10:29:20 PM »
I put my kids in as soon as they are eligible for ghost points or actual points.  My daughter started building points at 8.  My daughter drew the Entiat rifle with two points on her second year.  My son drew a big bull tag his first year ever he actually applied for a draw when he was 12.  If your counting points... Yes WDFW messed up and did not enter us so we got an extra point that year.  She now has three points going into this year.  My nephew will start building his points this year at 8 also.  We also do not put in for youth hunts as they suck and are only good for shooting does or cows.  I have a lot of points also 12 Elk going into this year.  I drew a lot more before the point system.  I would like to see more permits available in more units if possible.  

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]