collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Using a bloodhound as a coon/bird dog?  (Read 8094 times)

Offline ryan13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Using a bloodhound as a coon/bird dog?
« on: September 28, 2016, 12:06:58 PM »
Im very much of the opinion that you can train any dog to just about anything if you put the time into it. My question is has anyone on here used a bloodhound to coon/birdhunt? Ive done a bit of reading and come across the general opinion that there two slow to run coons. But if anyone on here has done it id love ato hear any info you have. Getting a pup right around christmas and trying to prepare myself.

Online Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
Re: Using a bloodhound as a coon/bird dog?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 12:45:49 PM »
20 years ago I had a Beagle.  He was a bird finding machine.  I shot pheasants, huns, and chukar with him.  The one thing I could never break him of was his speed.  I was a lot younger but it was a bugger trying to keep up with him.  The other problem was he would follow his nose, and you never knew what he was chasing until it flushed. 

I now how a Springer, who has a lot of drive but hunts are a slow speed.  And when he gets hot its only for a upland bird

Offline ryan13

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 01:59:48 PM »
Springers are by far the best bird dogs ive ever hunted behind. But ive wanted a hound since i was a kid and now have the oppurtunity to get one so i guess the only way to really find out is give it a go

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 02:56:28 PM »
I was raised with a beagle/walker cross hunting birds.  Fantastic, reliable, hard headed

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 03:06:54 PM »
Try one of these guys!  Teach him and he will hunt anything.  Coons, birds, dogs, Jaguars, boars etc.  Eats and poops a lot though. Not slow and doesn't tire easily.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline dawei

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 01:05:11 PM »
I've hunted over beagles since I was 13 and I'm 66 now. Let me tell you that they are EXCELLENT BIRD DOGS!!!!! I have shot hundreds of pheasant in my lifetime over my beagle(s). Hounds have the best noses of all dogs and the Bloodhound ranks #1 with the beagle a close second.

One of my closest friends hunts pheasants with a Redbone hound named Roscoe and he limits on every hunt.

HOUNDS ARE AWESOME HUNTERS!!!!!
David

Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 03:17:07 PM »
Meet Angus.  13 months old 130+lbs.  Fila Brasiliero or Brasilian Mastiff.  They are Brazil national dog.  Portugese bloodhound and English Mastiff and Old Roman bulldog are the lineage.  Rare in the USA but these are remarkable dogs.  I believe you could hunt bear, cougar, deer, coons and birds if you trained em.  Very loyal and eager to please and would protect its people from a Grizzly till death.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 03:24:18 PM »
20 years ago I had a Beagle.  He was a bird finding machine.  I shot pheasants, huns, and chukar with him.  The one thing I could never break him of was his speed.  I was a lot younger but it was a bugger trying to keep up with him.  The other problem was he would follow his nose, and you never knew what he was chasing until it flushed. 

I now how a Springer, who has a lot of drive but hunts are a slow speed.  And when he gets hot its only for a upland bird
I have a hard time imagining keeping in range for the flush behind a hound.  Especially one of the larger breeds and a running pheasant. 

A trained springer spaniel will stop on a whistle command and let a fat boy catch up :)
No doubt a long legged hound would put up lots of birds, he may not be in the same county as his handler.  LOL

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 03:27:44 PM »
I've had four labs, but the best versatile hunting dog I ever had was a border collie.  We shot over 100 grouse over her in the September she was 7 months old, and she was so much fun to jump shoot ducks with - would sneak alongside me to jump shoot stock ponds.

A friend had a Jack Russell that was a great quail dog, and another friend had a Doberman that was an incredible pheasant dog.  I agree most working dog breeds can be trained to a wide variety of tasks. 

With the exception of dogs overly inbred for physical traits (show dog lines, toy breeds), most dogs can be taught to do and enjoy a wide range of tasks.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 06:42:57 PM »
my old neighbor had a beagle that would trail pheasants.  took her many times to the feel free to hunt spots outside of Warden.  She wasn't very fast as from the time she started barking/trailing one you could make a sandwich and knit a scarf before she got close enough for it to flush...98 % of the time it was a hen but exciting none-the-less hearing her trailing one
beer---it's whats for dinner

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10