collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Back country first aid kit  (Read 20130 times)

Offline garrett89

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Back country first aid kit
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 09:20:58 AM »
Superglue. Maybe a small antihistamine bottle/package.

Offline Rider

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/bryan.lipscy
  • Groups: KCBS
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 10:18:04 AM »
Female pads - OB pads are preferred. - lacerations
Tampons - puncture wound
Duct tape - wound repair, blister aid, tent repair
Super glue - small wound repair, gear repair
Space blanket - shock, shelter, & signalling
Asprin - heart attack first aid
Tylenol/NSAID - minor aches and pains cause I'm getting old
Paracord - binding splint, stretcher construction, post-harvest field dressing
Glucose tabs - hypoglycemia first aid
Two days Rx

All fits into a 4" resealable bag.
Bryan Lipscy
Ride Hard - Love Often
2012 PSE Brute X compound bow

Offline crabcreekhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 05:12:14 PM »
Super glue, leuko tape, benadryl, ibuprofen, needle and thread/fishing line, and antiseptic.
"Courage is simply fear that has said its prayers"

Online Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2017, 06:51:05 PM »
A couple of band aids
Neosporin
Ace bandagge
Israel bandage

If you need anything beyond that, your time is better spent making peace with the world.

:chuckle:  :yeah:

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 09:47:33 PM »
Also an EMT.
I pack an Israeli bandage, few band aides and maybe quick clot. I have Leuko tape around a lighter. Chewable aspirin.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2017, 10:54:07 AM »
Super glue, blister needle, a band-aid and an EPIRB for anything I can't walk out with.

Offline SteelheadTed

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2017, 01:09:59 PM »
Don't put anything in a first aid kit you don't know how to use.  Lots of folks walk around with fancy kits but if push came to shove they wouldn't have a clue what to do in an actual emergency.  So, why carry it?

I found this "hunting utility kit" video pretty useful, not first aid exactly but there were a couple items I'll be adding to my kit that I couldn't believe I wasn't carrying and thankfully haven't needed before but certainly could run into in the future (adhesive target, goretex repair patch, fuel cubes) .
I know I've lost it, let me know if you come across it

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 09:49:37 PM »
+1 for the meateater videos.  They're full of great info.

My first aid kit is a little more extensive, but still pretty light at about 8oz

EpiPen (heaviest item by far)
surgical Pad
3-4 small nonstick gauze pads
a few assorted band-aids
neosporin
athletic tape
coban wrap
SUPER GLUE
ibuprofen
chlorpheniramine (antihistamine)
diphen (Benadryl)
moleskin

It doesn't live in my first aid kit but I also carry a SPOT PLB.

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 09:55:55 PM »
Satellite phone with 911 on speed dial.   

:llam:

What is that emoticon anyhow???

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 05:51:36 AM »
I'm in the same boat.  I pack a little more because I am also a former medic (army).  I've cut back a bit but I honestly just figure having a *little* more weight in first aid supplies probably isn't the worst thing considering the value we can bring to others around us by having said supplies.

All these look good but I can't emphasize enough that benadryl should be in every kit.  Even if you're not allergic to anything now, allergies have an incredible way of just showing themselves in without invitation.

I'm all for tourniquets, but I strongly recommend you practice with them.  When I was teaching CLS in the Army, even soldiers were constantly surprised at how much force it took to cut off the blood pressure.... and this was under classroom conditions.

Probably offering more than what was really wanted here but just thought I'd toss in my  :twocents:
I carry a bottle of liquid children's Benadryl to suck down in case I get into a nest, as I have before. Quick Clot should be in everyone's pack for any major bleeding. It makes it a little bit harder for doctors later on but if you're way out there, especially, it could be a life saver. Ditto on tourniquets practice. If you apply one, a "T" on the forehead of the patient with the time applied. a "Q" is suggested for application of Quick Clot bandage. Steri-strip wound closures will help with most smaller cuts. Don't get the generic because they suck and will open up.

Go Army medics. Change your socks and watch that pee color.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 06:07:29 AM »
 :chuckle: :pee:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2017, 06:31:42 AM »
I'm in the same boat.  I pack a little more because I am also a former medic (army).  I've cut back a bit but I honestly just figure having a *little* more weight in first aid supplies probably isn't the worst thing considering the value we can bring to others around us by having said supplies.

All these look good but I can't emphasize enough that benadryl should be in every kit.  Even if you're not allergic to anything now, allergies have an incredible way of just showing themselves in without invitation.

I'm all for tourniquets, but I strongly recommend you practice with them.  When I was teaching CLS in the Army, even soldiers were constantly surprised at how much force it took to cut off the blood pressure.... and this was under classroom conditions.

Probably offering more than what was really wanted here but just thought I'd toss in my  :twocents:
I carry a bottle of liquid children's Benadryl to suck down in case I get into a nest, as I have before. Quick Clot should be in everyone's pack for any major bleeding. It makes it a little bit harder for doctors later on but if you're way out there, especially, it could be a life saver. Ditto on tourniquets practice. If you apply one, a "T" on the forehead of the patient with the time applied. a "Q" is suggested for application of Quick Clot bandage. Steri-strip wound closures will help with most smaller cuts. Don't get the generic because they suck and will open up.

Go Army medics. Change your socks and watch that pee color.

:chuckle:   :tup:

QuikClot isn't for every wound, but there are some wounds that have no better treatment.  Good stuff to have for sure. 

Offline trapp01

• Hunter
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2017, 07:32:44 AM »
Assorted pills (aspirin ibuprofen penicillin oxycodone Benadryl zyrtex)
Band-Aids
moleskin
vet wrap
ace bandage
Tampons
dentil floss and suture needle.
Electrical tape
Gauze pads
Abuterol
sissors
sun block
Burn Cream

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2017, 07:48:55 AM »
One thing I noticed recently is the pre-packaged first aid kits have gotten quite a bit lighter over the years.  I needed one last month for a quick backcountry trip, as I left mine in Oregon.  Went to REI to pick one up.  Much lighter than my usual first aid kit, that I bought many years ago.  Those Adventure brand kits are waterproof and quite light, ranging in weight from 3oz to 8oz.  I augment mine with extra Benadryl, as stepping on a yellow jacket nest is not pleasant (been there done that).  Also a basic survival kit, quick clot, and some extra ibuprofen get added in to mine (they never include enough in the base kits). 

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 01:21:07 PM »

QuikClot isn't for every wound, but there are some wounds that have no better treatment.  Good stuff to have for sure.

Man.  I've got a pretty strong stomach and have never been anything but excited while dressing/butching game, but GAWD taking a scalpel to the femoral artery of a live animal is a savage thing to watch.

Funny to think: my wife is a Physician Assistant and during school she was working on a live pig just like this, when her professor casually walked by and sliced through the pig's aorta and told her to save the patient.  Which she did  :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal