collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Guy who slaughtered 24 elk was sentenced  (Read 9533 times)

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Guy who slaughtered 24 elk was sentenced
« on: July 05, 2017, 02:01:55 PM »
http://www.wallowa.com/local_news/20170630/harshfield-sentenced-for-killing-elk-illegally

A Wallowa rancher accused of killing 24 elk on his property for eating hay intended for his livestock received a hefty fine and supervised probation after he pleaded guilty to six of the killings in Wallowa County Circuit Court. Judge Thomas Powers presided.

On June 28, Larry Michael Harshfield, 69, pleaded guilty to six counts of Taking, Angling, Hunting, or Trapping in Violation of Wildlife Law or Rule. The incidents occurred between Dec. 1, 2016 and Feb. 11 of this year when Oregon State Police game wardens appeared at the Harshfield ranch after receiving an anonymous tip about the killings.

On April 14, Harshhfield was charged with the killings. Law enforcement officials arrested Harshfield, but he was released on his own recognizance later in the day.

After Harshfield’s plea, Powers ordered the rancher to pay $3,000 restitution/compensatory fine on each of the six counts. The rancher lost his hunting privileges for three years and received 24 months of supervised probation. He will also work with the ODFW and the district attorney’s office to make three public presentations of programs available in Wallowa County for local landowners to deal to with the elk population.

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Guy who slaughtered 24 elk was sentenced
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 02:12:25 PM »
If that is the best they can do I guess it is okay.  I would have liked to have seen more of a fine but I am really glad that it isn't less.  $18,000 is a pretty big hit to the pocket book and who knows how it would have gone if it went to trial.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 02:22:47 PM »
Is there still charges pending on the remaining animals?
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 02:26:33 PM »
Is there still charges pending on the remaining animals?

He made a deal and entered a plea of guilty for only 6 animals. That's all there is.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 02:27:03 PM »
Sounds like in the end they hired him.
LOL.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 02:28:02 PM »
 :chuckle: yeah, but he had to pay $18K for the right to interview.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Squidward

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/ed.brooks.3781
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 02:44:29 PM »
"24 months of supervised probation"  ??

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 03:34:41 PM »
Its a joke. No hard jail time? This court system is a farce. Any judge that would sign off on that agreement should be removed and get a new job in the circus as Bozo the Clown. Probably won't have to pay for beef for the rest of his life. One elk maybe but 24? No way. Shows you how corrupt our legal system is. This is why poachers will never stop destroying our herds because they know they will get a hand slap. I wonder if the perp even allows hunters on his property?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:44:01 PM by Pegasus »

Offline dreamunelk

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 07:25:51 PM »
Still a chunk of money.  Having to do the public presentations is actually pretty harsh.  Many would not do it.  I think he had to swallow a lot of pride to admit guilt and take the deal.  The penalty is much stiffer than some other cases.

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 10:07:48 PM »
Still a chunk of money.  Having to do the public presentations is actually pretty harsh.  Many would not do it.  I think he had to swallow a lot of pride to admit guilt and take the deal.  The penalty is much stiffer than some other cases.

Boo Hoo! Instead of spending a few years in the pokey like he deserves, he has to give a few lectures. Oh, the humanity! What a joke. Swallowing his pride is minor compared to other things he would be swallowing in prison. I bet he sobbed at his sentencing(sarc).

PS: I bet he can easily afford the fine and I bet it is less than he spent on attorney fees to keep out of jail. They should have seized his ranch.

Offline dreamunelk

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 12:06:03 AM »

Boo Hoo! Instead of spending a few years in the pokey like he deserves, he has to give a few lectures. Oh, the humanity! What a joke. Swallowing his pride is minor compared to other things he would be swallowing in prison. I bet he sobbed at his sentencing(sarc).

PS: I bet he can easily afford the fine and I bet it is less than he spent on attorney fees to keep out of jail. They should have seized his ranch.

How do we know he can afford the fine?  It very well could be that he is struggling and just lost it. 
There is a lot we don't know.  I do not support what he did.  Still I have to give a grain of salt.  Many cattle ranchers have a few good years and many bad years.  Often they are beholden to the bank.  I work with a lot of different agricultural situations.  Many struggle from year to year.  Yes, there are some that inherited a bank role and think the world owes them.  I know of no other cases in many states where one has agreed to publicly admit he was wrong in a public format.  This is far bigger than you think.  Do you work around cattle men and farmers?  I have.  While I do not agree with his actions I am wiling to chalk it up to stubborn ignorance.  This guy has my attention and a little respect and my hope is that if he follows through ODFW will make a banner attempt at helping him. 
Consider other cases when found guilty and given a slap on the  pinky they still appeal.  We have some in Washington right now and it is disgusting!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 05:57:03 AM »
$18K would put me deeply in debt. It's hardly a slap on the wrist.

Offline ballpark

• Salty
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 07:07:08 AM »
$18K for 24 Elk, that's a cheap Elk Hunt. :bash:

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 07:27:05 AM »
$18K would put me deeply in debt. It's hardly a slap on the wrist.

:yeah: :tup:

Some jail time would have been nice but I'm glad he got a big fine.  Hopefully he actually pays all of it.

The 3 year probation sucks - I would prefer 10 year minimum.

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 07:46:10 AM »
I'm not a fan of filling the jails with people unless they are a threat to society.

While the fine seems light to us sportsmen, the non hunting will think the fine is large. I'm ok with the punishment; I bet he won't be doing that again.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal