Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
Re: Exposed to the elements?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 12:36:58 PM »
Not by the proposed definition !!
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 12:42:20 PM »
"Exposed to the weather" means the percussion cap or the
frizzen must be visible and not capable of being covered or closed
by an integral part of the weapon proper.

That is the proposed definition so your ML would not be legal, It would be legal now if there was a small hole drilled into that "Hood" that covers the nipple !!

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 12:57:44 PM »
I don't have any experience with that particular ML and without physically seeing how it is assembled I cannot give you a definitive answer but from the photos you posted it appears to me that the "Hole" you circled is a slot for the wrench to aid in the removal of the breach plug and not an "exposure to the elements" type hole, but I could be wrong about that, maybe someone that has experience with that one will pipe up and say for sure !!!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 01:54:52 PM »
i think it's exposed to be legal, but you're gonna need to see about changing out the 209 primer ignition system too...thats a no-no.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 02:40:49 PM »
i think it's exposed to be legal, but you're gonna need to see about changing out the 209 primer ignition system too...thats a no-no.

Ill have to check into that jackelope.Thanks. Curious, can you hunt bear with this setup?

I think that if you hunt any big game with a ML it has to meet ML requirements in the game laws as if you were hunting deer or elk !!

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 02:53:47 PM »
Thats interesting. Does'nt make much sense though.

Sense ??

The only difference I see is that you can use a .40 cal projectile for deer and any other big game must use .50 cal or larger !!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 03:11:49 PM »
your gun is legal for bears if it meets the other requirements...not 209 and exposed to the elements as long as it's a .50 cal.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 03:14:03 PM »
Page 67 of your game regs spells out everything you want to know as far as ML equipment regulations which apply to all big game species !!

Offline ABugg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 04:37:52 PM »
Your set-up is legal during the modern season for any species or bear outside the muzzle season, but to be legal for the muzzle loader season you have to remove the 209 plug.  Otherwise, it appears that the nipple will be exposed and legal; it just can't be enclosed. 

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 04:43:42 PM »
Your set-up is legal during the modern season for any species or bear outside the muzzle season, but to be legal for the muzzle loader season you have to remove the 209 plug.  Otherwise, it appears that the nipple will be exposed and legal; it just can't be enclosed. 

You might want to verify that.

We had a thread here before and the response from F&W is that a ML must meet the ML requirements for all game animals including bear.

Offline ABugg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 04:49:10 PM »
I agree; best to verify, but the new WAC includes an exception that waives the requirements on ignition and open sights for using a ML during a MF season.

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 05:30:20 PM »
I have to agree with you jackelope. I don't see where the regs say that the muzzle loader requirments apply to all big game.

Did you read page 67 in the 08 hunting regs ?? if so then you saw the muzzleloader regulations. Look at (c) that is only a special provision for big game other then deer and it is in addition to the rules stated in (a) I don't know how it could be more clear !!  ;)

If you hunt any big game with a ML you need to follow those regulations, it may change a bit but for now that is what it is.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 05:34:58 PM »
Maybe someone can clarify again, but I swear the ruling was something like this...go to page ?? and read...then go to page // and read. And that the outcome was a ML has to meet the requirements for all big game. I was interested as I wanted a new inline (209) ML for bears and use in firearm restricted areas. I was told by a gamey that a 209 was NOT legal in a firearm restricted area during modern firearm.  :dunno:

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 05:42:06 PM »
Maybe someone can clarify again, but I swear the ruling was something like this...go to page ?? and read...then go to page // and read. And that the outcome was a ML has to meet the requirements for all big game. I was interested as I wanted a new inline (209) ML for bears and use in firearm restricted areas. I was told by a gamey that a 209 was NOT legal in a firearm restricted area during modern firearm.  :dunno:

No matter where you look it will say "Hunters may use any lawful big game firearm, archery, or muzzleloader equipment.....NO matter what season

And here is the definition of lawfull muzzleloader equipment:

(1) It is unlawful to carry or possess any firearm during muzzleloading seasons which does not meet the following specification for a muzzleloader. A muzzleloading firearm is loaded from the muzzle and uses black powder or a black powder substitute as recommended by the manufacturer for use in muzzleloading firearms. A muzzleloading firearm has a single or double barrel of at least 20 inches, rifled or smooth-bored. Ignition is to be wheel lock, matchlock, flintlock, or percussion using original style percussion caps that fit on the nipple and are exposed to the elements. Shot shell and 209 primers are not legal.

(2) Sights must be open, peep or of other open sight design. Fiber optic sights are legal. Telescopic sights or sights containing glass are prohibited. It is unlawful to have any electrical device or equipment attached to a muzzleloading firearm while hunting. Except hunters with disabilities who meet the definition of being visually impaired in WAC 232-12-828 may receive a special use permit that would allow the use of scopes or other visual aids. A disabled hunter permit holder in possession of a special use permit that allows the use of a scope or visual aid may hunt game birds or game animals during muzzleloader seasons.

(3) A muzzleloading firearm used for deer must fire a single, nonjacketed lead projectile of nominal 40 caliber or larger, except that buckshot size #1 or larger may be used in a smoothbore of 60 caliber or larger.

(4) A muzzleloading firearm used for all other big game must fire a single, nonjacketed lead projectile of nominal 50 caliber or larger, or fire a single, nonjacketed lead projectile of at least 170 grains.

(5) This section shall not apply to the carrying of a handgun designed to be charged with black powder only.

(6) This section shall not apply to persons lawfully hunting game birds with a shotgun.

(7) Only one barrel of a double barrel muzzleloader may be loaded with powder or bullet or capped at any one time while hunting in a muzzleloading season except in specified firearm restricted areas.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal