collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: shot shell reloading, can it be worthwhile?  (Read 1623 times)

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
shot shell reloading, can it be worthwhile?
« on: January 08, 2018, 08:51:56 AM »
Ive got a brand new mec600 jr sitting in my shop, that ive had for a few years. I would like to put it to use, and start making some shotshells, but its never panned out fiscally for the amount of shells I will shoot in a year. normally I will go through 1-2 cases of lead shotshells between trap/skeet and hunting, and a case or so of steel 3' for waterfowl.

I know that I wont save money by reloading my own shot, but it seems like the benefits would be in finding a load that my shotgun patterns very well, and possibly  loading some denser then steel loads if I could source the shot.

anyone in here load shotshells care to comment as the the why, and what benefits I may see that im not considering?

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
Re: shot shell reloading, can it be worthwhile?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 09:03:09 AM »
Just as you stated. It's not cheaper! But when you find that combo that works better than anything you tried otc. The light will come on.  Also if you ever tried to find #4 buck loads that is one place I saved money loading my own shot shells.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 09:04:52 AM »
I recommend the Lyman shot shell reloading Manuel.  Fwiw you can't work up a load in shot shell loading. Stick to book recipes
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.

Offline Bill W

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 09:06:21 AM »
I recommend the Lyman shot shell reloading Manuel.  Fwiw you can't work up a load in shot shell loading. Stick to book recipes

Excellent advice about sticking to book recipes.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 09:21:05 AM »
For those of you whom reload vs those whom have put some time in finding the load you gun likes and then buying a case or 2 is there a difference? I've also found that honing out my barrel with some atf and a scotch brite pad  every year or so has made my patterns more consistant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Henrydog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 09:31:16 AM »
I load between 8-12k trap loads a year on a Mec 600.  Get the Lyman book and stick to published loads, Period.

You will not save any money unless you are trying to duplicate AA or Nitro 27 handicap loads.  If you are only shooting 2 cases a year you will come out at a loss.  A flat of STS's is $79.00, with good lead at 40 bucks a bag (which makes about 300 1 1/8 loads) $32 for 1000 Winchester Primers and $10 for 500 wads you can see you are not saving anything and that is before the powder price.  It only pencils out for me because I shoot 2 cases a weekend of expensive shells.

I recommend starting with STS or Nitro hulls, they are the easiest to reload and have the most recipes. 

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 09:44:46 AM »
Last I calculated I could load trap shells for about $3/box.  That’s - 7/8 oz lead, Noble Sport primers, Promo powder, Clay buster wads.  Not STS quality but they break flying painted pieces of dirt just fine.

Loading steel shot on the other hand isn’t worth the effort IMO. 

Offline Bwana Bob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 09:46:24 AM »
I like loading for my 1930's vintage 16ga SxS. The 1 oz loads I make for it kill quail and huns over a pointing dog just as well as the factory 1 1/8  factory loads I was using and are cheaper to make.  I still load for my other two SxS, a 12 and 20ga but I like doing it. One ounce 12ga loads with Clay's powder work real well on quail also. I just wish the price of shot wasn't so high.

Now if I could only tie fly's as well as Bill W, I'd be a happier man before I died.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 10:24:34 AM »
I like loading for my 1930's vintage 16ga SxS. The 1 oz loads I make for it kill quail and huns over a pointing dog just as well as the factory 1 1/8  factory loads I was using and are cheaper to make.  I still load for my other two SxS, a 12 and 20ga but I like doing it. One ounce 12ga loads with Clay's powder work real well on quail also. I just wish the price of shot wasn't so high.

Now if I could only tie fly's as well as Bill W, I'd be a happier man before I died.
I thing gauges like your 16, 28, or 410 should pay dividends because they normally cost a premium.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline syoungs

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 10:42:06 AM »
Just as you stated. It's not cheaper! But when you find that combo that works better than anything you tried otc. The light will come on.  Also if you ever tried to find #4 buck loads that is one place I saved money loading my own shot shells.

the #4 buck is a big driver of me setting the press up actually, I cant even find it locally.

I think im gonna go ahead and play around with it some, I believe I even have a copy of the lyman shotshell manual at home, would have to double check what it is.

Worst case, im out some money in the end, I can guarantee you ive spent more money on worse hobbies lol.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 11:08:26 AM »
I can give you my #4 buck load. Can't remember the name but bought a buck shot only Manuel. It's a 3" load with 43 pellets @1300ish if I remember correctly.  Hulls are the black 3" win super X I save from my turkey loads.  Low pressure load 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand