collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Washington General Season Deer Harvest: 1997-2017  (Read 7393 times)

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Washington General Season Deer Harvest: 1997-2017
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 12:11:19 PM »
Hey Super Mod why is everything on a downward slide?
Are you asking me?  This is the second reference to "super mod" I have seen today but the first time I have seen it right after one of my posts.

So if it is directed at me can you be more specific because looking at both charts in this thread I don't see that "everything" is on the downhill slide.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018, 12:18:13 PM »
I was wondering the same on all  :yeah:

Why the super mod and wheres the down hill slide it is consistently up and down with a peak in 2015-16.

1 could argue better reporting by hunters that care and maybe even better managing of the game.  :peep:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 12:26:51 PM »
Sarcastic "Super mod" comments in attempts to insult someone are uncalled for and against forum rules. If you have an issue with a mod or the moderation of a thread or a post, feel free to pm one of the guys in red. Otherwise, the insults are not ok. Please keep that in mind moving forward.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 12:30:27 PM »
Thanks Josh.  That is very true.  I think most of the mods have thicker skin but that doesn't mean that we should tolerate that type of behavior and I certainly wouldn't let a comment like that go if directed at a member here.  If they weren't directed at the mod team I would have deleted them.

Back on topic I will say there are a ton variables that affect harvest numbers and hunter success percentages.  It is only my opinion but based on commission meetings I have gone to, town hall meetings with the WDFW, master hunter meetings, hunter education meetings and private email dialogue that I have participated in I really do think that for the most part our WDFW employees are doing the best that they can as far as managing wildlife and people.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 02:06:19 PM »

Back on topic I will say there are a ton variables that affect harvest numbers and hunter success percentages.  It is only my opinion but based on commission meetings I have gone to, town hall meetings with the WDFW, master hunter meetings, hunter education meetings and private email dialogue that I have participated in I really do think that for the most part our WDFW employees are doing the best that they can as far as managing wildlife and people.

I was led to believe wdfw was trying to end all hunting and wild game populations  :dunno: :chuckle:

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2018, 02:16:42 PM »

I was led to believe wdfw was trying to end all hunting and wild game populations  :dunno: :chuckle:
Well, Conservation NW does have an agent on the commission so the ending hunting part isn't really much of a reach.  A previous commissioner (Jennings) was anti hunting and anti fishing, too.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2018, 03:13:50 PM »

:chuckle:
In all seriousness you can juggle or just interpret the numbers to reflect whatever you want them to.  I am a half full kind of guy so I see it as they are trying.  I also think that without their efforts we would be in a whole lot more dire shape than we are now.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2018, 04:21:37 PM »
I am surprised that the overall harvest rates have been flat or slightly increasing. There are fewer hunters which could result in less competition and improved odds. Better technology and information may also play a part in that.

Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2018, 05:09:00 PM »
I am surprised that the overall harvest rates have been flat or slightly increasing. There are fewer hunters which could result in less competition and improved odds. Better technology and information may also play a part in that.
Maybe the increase in antlerless opportunities in deer areas or in the form of special permits can be keeping harvest levels near flat.  I hear of fewer animals taken in the mountains and hills, but more and more in the lowlands and backyards.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2018, 05:24:35 PM »
Maybe the increase in antlerless opportunities in deer areas or in the form of special permits can be keeping harvest levels near flat.  I hear of fewer animals taken in the mountains and hills, but more and more in the lowlands and backyards.
That could be although special permits wouldn't be included; these are general season numbers only.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2018, 05:59:13 PM »
General season harvest stats, 1997-2017

That's an interesting graph for a few reasons.

1. Everything says hunter numbers are going down, but that graph says hunter numbers went up?
2. 1996 was a very hard winter so the graph starts right after a huge deer die off, so it appears numbers increased.
3. Nature has the biggest effect on deer numbers and success, the dips are after tough winters.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2018, 06:16:33 PM »

1. Everything says hunter numbers are going down, but that graph says hunter numbers went up?
2. 1996 was a very hard winter so the graph starts right after a huge deer die off, so it appears numbers increased.
3. Nature has the biggest effect on deer numbers and success, the dips are after tough winters.
(His chart is reversed; it goes from 2017 on the left to 1997 on the right.)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2018, 06:27:14 PM »

Looks like my eyesight took a dip! LOL, you are right, I knew we lost some deer the previous 2016 winter, I didn't realize success statewide was down that much. Kinda seems ironic tough winter in 96 and again in 2016.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2018, 07:03:26 PM »

Looks like my eyesight took a dip! LOL, you are right, I knew we lost some deer the previous 2016 winter, I didn't realize success statewide was down that much. Kinda seems ironic tough winter in 96 and again in 2016.
My apologies...I didn't intend to put data in reverse order.  The thing that surprises me most is that the last 2 years there have been about 30,000 fewer deer hunters than 10 or 15 years ago.  When I look around opening day I would struggle to figure out where another 30,000 people would fit in !  :chuckle:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2018, 08:00:26 PM »
Thanks to those of you who posted the data.

Very insightful.

:tup:
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal