collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hike in tree stand for black tail?  (Read 7660 times)

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Re: Hike in tree stand for black tail?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 04:29:32 PM »
The more info I'm getting about this sounds like a fixed stand might be better for black tail.

Offline Alan K

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 05:14:06 PM »
I'm a climber guy.  If you have a patch of timber to hunt, it would be a good idea to have multiple trees ready to climb into depending on the conditions (primarily wind). With a fixed/ladder stand your comitted.

One thing to consider on the climbers... If you haven't spent time in a tree stand, having a rail versus open is something to consider. I tried the open one for bowhunting, but I'm not much of a fan of heights and it gave me the willy's at the height I was climbing to elevate my scent. Now I use a railed upper, which can be a problem on a steep angled shot.  I usually hang 20-30 yards from the trail I'm anticipating action on so it isn't an issue.  It's also an attempt to keep scent further away, both while I'm in the stand and also the scent I'm leaving on the ground hiking in.

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 05:39:15 PM »
I'm a climber guy.  If you have a patch of timber to hunt, it would be a good idea to have multiple trees ready to climb into depending on the conditions (primarily wind). With a fixed/ladder stand your comitted.

One thing to consider on the climbers... If you haven't spent time in a tree stand, having a rail versus open is something to consider. I tried the open one for bowhunting, but I'm not much of a fan of heights and it gave me the willy's at the height I was climbing to elevate my scent. Now I use a railed upper, which can be a problem on a steep angled shot.  I usually hang 20-30 yards from the trail I'm anticipating action on so it isn't an issue.  It's also an attempt to keep scent further away, both while I'm in the stand and also the scent I'm leaving on the ground hiking in.
good point on the climbers. Heights aren't a problem for me . I've been hanging off a 20 story building fixing light fixtures downtown. Ha!

Offline snake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2019, 05:50:21 PM »
Hands down the Lone Wolf Hand Assault climber for me!!  It is sooo light weight, packs in VERY flat, very quiet and very solid.

Agree 100% i have killed deer and elk from mine.  Packing and setting the stand up every morning and evening is easy and takes minutes to setup.

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2019, 05:24:27 PM »
Im leading towards hang on style tree stands after some advice and research. Anyone know places to get good used ones?

Offline Parasite

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2019, 06:47:12 PM »
Craigslist for used stands. Also eBay or local furums. I might sell mine here shortly.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 01:39:53 PM »
Im leading towards hang on style tree stands after some advice and research. Anyone know places to get good used ones?

Hang ons are great...  for your the back 40 at grandmas, parents, brothers or other places that you will hunt often and on private land. Id only use a hang on if it was really close to my house on public land on an overlooked piece with difficult access.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2019, 05:21:14 AM »

Hang ons are great...  for your the back 40 at grandmas, parents, brothers or other places that you will hunt often and on private land. Id only use a hang on if it was really close to my house on public land on an overlooked piece with difficult access.
hmmmmm

Offline Parasite

• Scout
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2019, 02:34:54 PM »
You'd be surprised at how quick you can setup a hang-on mobile system these days.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2019, 10:37:33 AM »
You'd be surprised at how quick you can setup a hang-on mobile system these days.

my point in saying this is that 1 on small pieces of property being quiet is pretty important. 2 if its family they will likely kkeep an eye on your stuff. 3 it makes for a great short impromptu hunt. if you only have till 10 am, or you can only get there after work and sit for a couple of hours. I will tell you that i never shot the nice blacktail i found from this scenerio because he kept coming in too late, and it was too dark in the timber for me to make a shot not to mention tell if it was the guy i was after.  :twocents:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2019, 08:54:15 PM »
I'm still scratching my head on this since I will only be hunting public land and don't know any private land owners to hunt there land.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2019, 10:08:54 PM »
Since that is the case an aluminum Summit Viper climber is in your future and if you can find one in the off season used your in the money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 10:16:34 PM by Special T »

Confucius

Offline Parasite

• Scout
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2019, 06:49:23 AM »
I concur for the most part ... if you are hunting straight trees. If the Viper fits you, then great. For me, I wanted something bigger and went with the Titan if I recall correctly. But as Special T said, you can get some sweet deals in the off season. Keep an eye on craigslist.

I have both a climber setup and hang-on setup for mobile hunting. Each has their own pros and cons.

Offline MIKEXRAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Bowhunter east side. Kayak Fishing cascade lakes.
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2019, 05:57:37 AM »
I bought two Summit climbers off of craigslist years ago and love them. Rock solid, never had any slips or close calls. One thing I wanted to point out is one of my Summit stands was called " back packer " after the model . This stand folds completely flat for carrying and is way nicer for transporting.  My other Summit is bulky and catches on stuff in transport.  If purchasing I would find the " back packer " model. I use that one 90 % of the time . Great feature. 

Offline duhameister

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2019, 09:20:45 PM »
Lone Wolf, its the lightest, quietest and most reliable climber you can buy.

I grew up with them in Wisconsin and have used them for 20+ years.

The only downside to a climber is you have to saw limbs if its your first time up the tree, which can be noisy.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]