collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Boykins? School me up on them  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Commando

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Boykins? School me up on them
« on: February 27, 2019, 04:23:41 PM »
I’m interested in getting a Boykin. Anyone have one? Pros cons?

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
Re: Boykins? School me up on them
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 05:50:09 PM »
Doug Burt the whistling wings president has one, has bred them and generally knows a lot about them. Reach out to him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline Bucks2Ducks

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 05:59:38 PM »
Tag. Thinking about getting one as my next waterfowl dog as well. The only downside I'm worried about is the cold; the last 7 years with my Chesapeake have been nice not ever having to worry about temps. Maybe with winter's not starting until Feb on the W side it wont be an issue anymore  :dunno:
When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom-Sitting Bull

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 05:35:36 AM »
Also one of the only Boykin GRHRCH was from Oregon and owned by Elroy Olson. He'd probably love nothing more than to talk dogs with anyone that will listen. You'd have to look up his info thru the HRC website. He is a field rep for HRC.

Offline Man Tracker

• Hunter
    • none
  • Groups: TTOS, DU, Pheasants Forever
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 04:28:13 PM »
I have two, one is 8 1/2 and one is 3.  LOVE them.  PM with your phone number and I will give you a call.

Offline Whitpirate

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 04:38:51 PM »
@shootem has a great Boykin....

Offline pens fan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 08:47:36 PM »
Damn.  I feel unimportant. Never heard of them.

Offline pens fan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 12:19:58 AM »
 I should probably introduce myself. My name is Jim Zilka, and unofficially, I am the “West Coast Regional Director of ‘all things Boykin.’” From San Diego to Fairbanks, I pretty much know most Boykin owners, have communicated with them and seen pictures of their LBD’s.

I started the Facebook page Northwest Boykin Spaniel Club, a few years ago, am on the Board of Directors of the Boykin Spaniel Society and help out with Boykin Spaniel Rescue. I have had Boykins for 15 years now, and have been breeding them for about 12 years.

I used to have a chocolate Lab prior to Boykins, but my wife wanted a smaller dog. I researched and found Boykins, saw that they are bred for hunting (at that time they were not recognized by AKC and were not in that “show scene”). That’s what attracted me to them. Too many breeds are from show lines that you have to pay attention if you want a hunting dog with a hunting ‘coat.’ These dogs were bred to hunt turkeys and waterfowl from the get-go.

The story of the first Boykin goes back to a century ago, where a gentleman in Spartanburg, SC found this little brown dog on his way from church.  He took the stray in and noticed he had the qualities and traits of the perfect gundog for hunting the swamps in SC. Back then, boats were placed on wagons in sections and assembled once they got out far enough where they couldn’t go any further, thus called “section boats.” These boats required a shallow draft and weight was an issue, and stability was probably another. This little dog he named “Dumpy” was perfect. The Boykin was then called the dog that doesn’t rock the boat. This gentleman took Dumpy to a friend and dog trainer in Camden to see if they could make a hunter out of him, and Whit Boykin did so. From there, he was bred to other dogs to create the looks and qualities they wanted.

Boykins can hunt anything. They are flushers and retrievers as well. They LOVE water. They are used a lot for doves all the way to geese (yes, they can handle a goose), and they can also hunt various forms of small game and track big game. This is one characteristic. The other is their personality. They are fantastic pets as well, but have that issue that many who want one as a pet cannot understand…they are driven hunters. They must be active. Their personalities are they are typically very friendly toward people and other animals- until you put a gun in your hands.

One thing Boykins aren’t…is a lab. They are extremely smart and have the ability to reason, and they can and will take advantage of situations and manipulate you. They are not big into regimented training and may shut down because they are bored and want challenged. Never insult their ability. Never underestimate what they can learn. Sometimes you only have to show them once, and are ready to move on. Some say they are soft. Maybe some are. But I’ve seen them get ear pinched and collar shocked at the same time during force fetch training and they always bounce back ready for more. 

As for the question about cold: Boykins have two coats. They can handle cold well, BUT, they maintain their body temperature by action. So, if you are in a boat and expect them to stay warm after swimming in 33 degree water and then sit for two hours without some kind of heat, well, I would call that animal abuse for the hardiest of Chesapeake’s. Boykins are mostly derived from American Water Spaniels and Chessies. That should tell you about their hardiness. They do have physical handicaps due to their size, their mouths are smaller so they may not bring a goose back to you in a fashion you might expect from larger dogs. But they will bring them back. One person had one retrieve a swan while on a trip in Canada. He didn’t get video of it. I’ve seen them make 300 yard retrieves and bring back a full sized drake mallard on a full run without ever slowing down.

A Boykins size is generally no more than 40 pounds, male or female. Males are obviously larger. My one female is 27 pounds. They vary in color from dark liver to a lighter chocolate, can have highlights of blond and cherry. Some are curly, some straight. They are not to have any white except a small patch on the chest…nowhere else. AKC allows white around the toes. We (BSS) are trying to breed out white. Like the saying about a box of chocolates, Boykins can all look the same and all look different.

As for diseases and such, we have been doing very well breeding out hip dysplasia in the last few decades. Patella, hip, elbow, eyes and heart are the typical cerfs done by a respectable breeder. Genetically, EIC, CEA and DM are also checked by reputable breeders. They can have ear issues like many spaniels, but it is something that is avoidable if watched. Grooming is a personal thing. I like many, prefer a field cut twice a year, if needed. I will shave them if heading to eastern WA because of burrs.

One of my unassigned tasks is to keep our club active. We are trying to get a formalized BSS sanctioned club formed this year. This would include BSS hunt tests. This weekend coming up we are having our annual “Boykin-Only Hunt” at Cooke Canyon in Ellensburg, both Saturday and Sunday. This year it’s a two day, Saturday being a training/introduction for puppies/new dogs/new hunters. Sunday we are having an “All-Out” hunt. Anyone is welcome to come by and see these dogs in action. We also have an annual “meet and greet” typically near water, as Boykins love their water. Next year we are planning a “Boykin-Bash” to be held in Oregon somewhere, and this will unite many of us from the west.

If you look in the “let’s see those waterdogs” post in waterfowl hunting above, you will see a couple of my dogs. If you are interested in getting a Boykin, any owner will talk your ear off (ask Doug or Elroy.) I can only tell you, if you want a female, the list is very long in the west.  Don’t know why so many want females, but it is what it is. Typically, they go for around $1000 here in the west. Mine are more expensive because I breed with the competitive dogs from the south, and travel there to do so. Most breeders will NOT ship a puppy. Their thoughts are, “If you show up at my door, maybe then I will then decide if you will get one of my pups or not.”

Offline Man Tracker

• Hunter
    • none
  • Groups: TTOS, DU, Pheasants Forever
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 06:14:14 PM »
Nicely said Jim.  I might add that both of mine have been very trainable.  They absolutely love a good challenge as well.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal