collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Disabled hunt help - Whitetail any buck/doe  (Read 2047 times)

Offline YellowDog

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Disabled hunt help - Whitetail any buck/doe
« on: October 26, 2007, 07:24:09 PM »
If any of you have an idea of a decent area (not any farther from Yakima than necessary) that I could take my dad during the upcoming disabled hunts in the 100 units I would appreciate any help possible.  I have hunted turkeys a little bit up near Springdale/Hunters so I know where a bit of land is but most is private and I'm sure it gets hit hard during these hunts.  I have a lead on a small chunk of private land up around Ione but that is a long, long drive.  I always get my dad out for a day or two of mostly driving roads, drinking coffee and bs-ing while hoping a 3 pt. will jump out in front of us but that isn't very productive as you can imagine.  Good times, but I would like him to have a chance to fill his tag every couple of years and the disabled hunts are probably the best bet.  Thanks for any advice you might have.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Disabled hunt help - Whitetail any buck/doe
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 08:57:55 PM »
hows about the little pend oreille refuge out of colville. probably almost as far as ione, but lots of whitetails and lots of roads. there's also some fields you can access from a short flat walk.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Palmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Educated from the wilderness
Re: Disabled hunt help - Whitetail any buck/doe
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 08:25:44 PM »
Have you tried a deer blind just 20 or 30 yards off the road.  Pick up a Brickhouse and a bucket to sit on.  Stop in at Newport Pend Oreille valley sportsman shop and see what they can tell you. 
If you drive around an area for a couple days and don't see deer then maybe move to another area. 
Try driving around two hours before sunrise to locate where a large population of deer are.  Then after shooting hours start drive around the area where you see the most deer and see if you can get a shot.
I prefer Huckleberry and Selkirk.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal