collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Last minute decision  (Read 2001 times)

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
Last minute decision
« on: August 23, 2019, 12:44:35 PM »
Okay, i know some guys may or may not like these kind of questions but I’m going to go for it. A buddy and I are planning to hunt mule deer for the archery opener. I went to wenatchee valley and played baseball and hunted Eniat and Swakane. I know those areas pretty well. Was able to take a buck out of there last year and also help a buddy take one as well. My Interest of finding new area is taking over. I am extremely interested in going a bit farther north. I am scanning over harvest reports and seeing things such as 204 numbers look very good, and a few others. Any advice is much appreciated. I am wondering if i should venture to find more area farther north. Or stick to what i know and maybe be in not as good of an area. I understand not everyone will appreciate this post but i will exchange info for info. I’ve been very successful in this state and love to chat with new hunters young and old. Anyhow feel free to message me or anything. I appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
Re: Last minute decision
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 01:11:16 PM »
Gotta remember if looking at 204 harvest that it is also Whitetail country open to any whitetail Deer.
Sept 1-27 is any Whitetail
Nov 21- Dec 15 is any Whitetail
Sept 1-27 Mulie bucks (3pt+, i know you know that)
Sept 16-27 Mulie does are legal

I know alot of Whitetails are taken, not that Mulies are not also, i wish they would post what is taken in each unit that has mutliple species
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 01:13:22 PM »
Gotta remember if looking at 204 harvest that it is also Whitetail country open to any whitetail Deer.
Sept 1-27 is any Whitetail
Nov 21- Dec 15 is any Whitetail
Sept 1-27 Mulie bucks (3pt+, i know you know that)
Sept 16-27 Mulie does are legal

I know alot of Whitetails are taken, not that Mulies are not also, i wish they would post what is taken in each unit that has mutliple species
True true. I was taking that into consideration. I’d assume tons of white tails are taken in that unit boosting the numbers.

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 03:01:21 PM »
Mule deer in north central WA (I'm thinking Okanogan County) is abysmal. I am starting to lean toward what others have said on here that the Methow should be closed for mule deer until they rebound. Not trying to discourage you but the numbers really are bad. Even five years ago I would see many mules on every scouting trip now its several or even just a few. Whitetail seem to be flourishing however. Have taken three in the last five years out of Okanogan county but no mules.

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 03:26:07 PM »
It's a long archery season and prospecting new territory is never a bad idea. If you take a look and don't like what you see plan another weekend and go back to your old haunts. My brother lives near Tonasket and gets a deer every year so there are still some to be found if you look in the right places. :twocents:
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 03:45:31 PM »
It's a long archery season and prospecting new territory is never a bad idea. If you take a look and don't like what you see plan another weekend and go back to your old haunts. My brother lives near Tonasket and gets a deer every year so there are still some to be found if you look in the right places. :twocents:
Very true. I had been around the area when i was probably around 12 but not in the last 10 years.

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 03:57:57 PM »
Very true. I had been around the area when i was probably around 12 but not in the last 10 years.

And full disclosure I have never hunted over by Tonasket. Maybe everything is fine over there. I know 218 and 231 are hurting for sure. There are still deer just drastically diminished opportunity. It makes for some tough choices. Some of the best tasting deer I've ever had are Methow Valley Mule does. My brother has taken a few that were impressively large and oh so good on the table. It would be hard to pass up an opportunity for that harvest in archery season.

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 04:29:12 PM »

And full disclosure I have never hunted over by Tonasket. Maybe everything is fine over there. I know 218 and 231 are hurting for sure. There are still deer just drastically diminished opportunity. It makes for some tough choices. Some of the best tasting deer I've ever had are Methow Valley Mule does. My brother has taken a few that were impressively large and oh so good on the table. It would be hard to pass up an opportunity for that harvest in archery season.
I hunt the 204 east of Tonasket and the Mulie numbers are way way down, and the Whitetails seem to be doing just fine or atleast alot better
If you look at the harvest numbers for rifle season over there you will see a steady decline in that harvest every year (you could go back further before they changed the website  :bash:) and during rifle season Mulies made up the majority of the harvest and for the most part buck only, so the archery % being so much better has to be because of the any deer whitetail harvest. I know guys who live over there may have a different view but mine is from hunting that area for over 30 years and having a place over there that i spend a fair amount of time at and have seen the change in just watching the deer year after year in my meadow.
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 07:03:57 PM »
Thanks guys. May email department and ask about mule deer vs white tail #’s taken. If i do I’ll make sure to post. I have some decent mule deer spots but i guess im just looking for greener grasss.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 08:47:50 PM »
FWIW, The Entire central wa mulie herd is in nearly as bad of shape as the Methow herd.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 09:57:56 AM »
FWIW, The Entire central wa mulie herd is in nearly as bad of shape as the Methow herd.
I havent hunted muleys for a long time.. but based on the history Of certain units and my experience as of lately i would have to agree.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal