collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Vortex Optics customer service  (Read 8274 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Vortex Optics customer service
« on: October 15, 2019, 09:49:44 PM »
I don’t want to turn this into a Vortex sucks conversation.  I’ve always been a middle of the road budget gear guy. I don’t have a ton of money to spend on Swarovski optics or the like. Mid price range stuff has always been sufficient for me. I got bit by the Vortex bug several years ago. Bought myself a few rifle scopes, a pair of 15x56 Vulture bino’s and a Viper non-HD 20-60x80 spotting scope. Fast forward to 2017 and Rainier10 and I are sitting on the side of a mountain looking at mountain goats. I go to pull my spotter out and it has completely unthreaded itself inside its neoprene sleeve. Not sure what the heck. I get it screwed back together and it seems to work fine, but I emailed Vortex when I got home and they had me send it in for a repair. Got it back a week later better than it was. They fixed whatever they fixed, cleaned and serviced it and purged the air out of it or whatever.  Fast forward again to 2019 opening day of deer season. I pulled my spotter out to find it’s essentially unscrewed itself again inside the neoprene sleeve.

Put it back together and just rolled with my 15’s on the tripod the rest of the weekend. Monday morning I emailed Vortex to ask what I should do. Never got a response. Got a little aggravated.  This morning I get an email from Vortex saying my warranty claim has shipped. Huh?

Then I get a text from my kid when she got home from school saying there’s a big box for me from Vortex Optics on the porch. I got home to find a brand new 20-60x85 Viper HD spotter waiting for me and a prepaid shipping label to send my defective one back to them within 30 days. What the heck? Granted their optics seem to have some issues but I have a hard time complaining when their customer service team goes above and beyond anything I expected to make it right.

So thanks, Vortex. I appreciate your stand up customer service.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Pinetar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
Re: Vortex Optics customer service
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 10:02:41 PM »
I don’t want to turn this into a Vortex sucks conversation.  I’ve always been a middle of the road budget gear guy. I don’t have a ton of money to spend on Swarovski optics or the like. Mid price range stuff has always been sufficient for me. I got bit by the Vortex bug several years ago. Bought myself a few rifle scopes, a pair of 15x56 Vulture bino’s and a Viper non-HD 20-60x80 spotting scope. Fast forward to 2017 and Rainier10 and I are sitting on the side of a mountain looking at mountain goats. I go to pull my spotter out and it has completely unthreaded itself inside its neoprene sleeve. Not sure what the heck. I get it screwed back together and it seems to work fine, but I emailed Vortex when I got home and they had me send it in for a repair. Got it back a week later better than it was. They fixed whatever they fixed, cleaned and serviced it and purged the air out of it or whatever.  Fast forward again to 2019 opening day of deer season. I pulled my spotter out to find it’s essentially unscrewed itself again inside the neoprene sleeve.

Put it back together and just rolled with my 15’s on the tripod the rest of the weekend. Monday morning I emailed Vortex to ask what I should do. Never got a response. Got a little aggravated.  This morning I get an email from Vortex saying my warranty claim has shipped. Huh?

Then I get a text from my kid when she got home from school saying there’s a big box for me from Vortex Optics on the porch. I got home to find a brand new 20-60x85 Viper HD spotter waiting for me and a prepaid shipping label to send my defective one back to them within 30 days. What the heck? Granted their optics seem to have some issues but I have a hard time complaining when their customer service team goes above and beyond anything I expected to make it right.

So thanks, Vortex. I appreciate your stand up customer service.

What are the odds - I purchased the exact same spotting scope 4 years ago for use on a window mount, never leaves the truck as I have a Swarovski that I use the most. This scope has always been in my truck in the neoprene. It did the exact same thing as yours, un-threaded itself. Which is amazing to me how it can un-thread itself in the neoprene just sitting on my rear seat. I sent it back and they warrantied it and fixed it, no questions asked. Hopefully it doesn't happen again like yours but sounds like they will take care of it if it does.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 10:45:55 PM »
It’s really weird. You have to wrestle with the sleeve to get it off and on. How the heck it comes unscrewed I’ll never know. I wonder if the threads are  somewhat stripped. 

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Pinetar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 10:56:59 PM »
Ya it is very strange. I tried to figure out how it can come unscrewed when it is in that neoprene sleeve that goes on so tight, just doesn't seem possible especially when it just sits on my rear seat and doesn't get abused. It does have plastic threads if I remember right.

Hopefully this time it holds up but Vortex certainly took care of it quickly but they never gave me an answer to why or how this happened.

Offline Weatherby92

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 05:38:59 AM »
I've had the same great experience with Vortex customer service when a binocular lense went blurry..... not sure why it happened, Vortex never asked, they just sent me a new pair of bino's. Glad you had a good experience with them.
Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain - Mark Twain

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 07:29:21 AM »
Hard to beat that service. :tup:
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 08:06:07 AM »
It's great they have the service they do.....if not they would be out of business due to the lack of Quality control.  I hear stories like this all the time....and because their customer service is sooooo good people keep buying their product.  If I got to my hunting grounds and my spotting scope had come apart, I would be pissed.  Imagine if it were your scope....your hunt is now done until you can get it fixed or get a back up rifle. 

Glad they sent you a new one and hope you got the unicorn in their product line.....so maybe it will last a lifetime like it should.  With that said, you can buy quality stuff on a budget is you look for good used gear.  I run Swaro Bino's and spotter and am in them less than $1100 for the both.   :tup:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 09:32:50 AM »
It's great they have the service they do.....if not they would be out of business due to the lack of Quality control.  I hear stories like this all the time....and because their customer service is sooooo good people keep buying their product.  If I got to my hunting grounds and my spotting scope had come apart, I would be pissed.  Imagine if it were your scope....your hunt is now done until you can get it fixed or get a back up rifle. 

Glad they sent you a new one and hope you got the unicorn in their product line.....so maybe it will last a lifetime like it should.  With that said, you can buy quality stuff on a budget is you look for good used gear.  I run Swaro Bino's and spotter and am in them less than $1100 for the both.   :tup:

Ya...I don't disagree that there definitely seems to be some quality issues. I didn't spend half of the national debt on my optics though either. I'm just happy to report they handled it the way they did. 
With that said, I have heard of at least 2 people I know have to use the warranty on their Swarovski glass and I've personally sent a Leupold rifle scope back that failed.

I'd like to know your supplier for Swaro bino's and a spotter for $1100.00.

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 11:27:35 PM »
It's always great knowing you can get new stuff. Others have said if it weren't for their warranty they'd be out of business and I totally agree. Both of my binos went back again this year to fix stuff and the work binos went back.

I somehow absolutely destroyed the scope I bought off you Josh and sent it back and they gave me an upgrade.

Now I've finally had a reason to send my Leupold binos back and they got messed up when we rolled my buddies UTV elk hunting this year. They seem to hold up more than the vortex though.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 04:26:07 PM »
That’s awesome service

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 04:50:56 PM »

Ya...I don't disagree that there definitely seems to be some quality issues. I didn't spend half of the national debt on my optics though either. I'm just happy to report they handled it the way they did. 
With that said, I have heard of at least 2 people I know have to use the warranty on their Swarovski glass and I've personally sent a Leupold rifle scope back that failed.

I'd like to know your supplier for Swaro bino's and a spotter for $1100.00.

I bought them used off a friends dad.  Bought an older pair of SLC's and Swaro range finder for $800.  Traded the Range finder for a $1000 shotgun (new price, it was used but in great condition) so Figure I am in the Bino's for almost nothing.  The spotting scope I bought off a member on her for $1100 I think.  Point is, there are plenty of good used optics out there if a person looks. 

I understand all optics (items) manufacturers will have lemons (if you will) that need attention.  It just seems as if Vortex it is the rule rather than the exception.  I totally get buying mid range gear and did it for many years and occasionally still do.  With that said, I just can't believe how many bad stories you hear about vortex just coming apart and people are still content with the product because the warranty. 

bushnell makes some fantastic glass for 200-400 range and I would buy that before I bought a vortex......matter of fact I own a couple nicer bushnell and really like them and they are crazy durable.  Nikon are in the same boat as I have owned them before without them just falling apart. 

Offline bornhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 05:02:19 PM »
Same happened to me. My binos pooped out on me. Called them up and they said send them back for repair.
Mailed them in and in a few days got a brand new set, no questions asked. Great service.

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 05:33:47 AM »
Could you imagine how much they could reduce their prices if they didn't have to keep giving the 2 for 1 deal! :chuckle:

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 05:52:46 AM »
Probably used to it,
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 06:43:38 AM »
Has anyone ever had a piece from the Razor line crap out?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter