collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Carrying a modern firearm while muzzle loader hunting  (Read 8273 times)

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
Re: Carrying a modern firearm while muzzle loader hunting
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2019, 09:42:08 PM »
Thanks for letting me know I’m a dumb ass everyone😁

LOL     :tup:
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline BigVinn

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Hunter
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2019, 09:26:05 PM »
So I saw this on the addendums page.

Page 87 (added April 29)
Under the heading, Muzzleloader Regulations, section 2(e), the second sentence should read as follows: “It is unlawful for any person to carry or have in his possession a modern firearm while in the field muzzleloader hunting, during a muzzleloader season specified for that area, except for modern handguns carried for personal protection

Did they change the rule or am I reading this wrong?

Offline Platensek-po

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2019, 09:31:12 PM »

Page 87 (added April 29)
Under the heading, Muzzleloader Regulations, section 2(e), the second sentence should read as follows: “It is unlawful for any person to carry or have in his possession a modern firearm while in the field muzzleloader hunting, during a muzzleloader season specified for that area, except for modern handguns carried for personal protection

That may be true but the guy carrying the rifle is not hunting with a muzzle loader.
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline BigVinn

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Hunter
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2019, 09:44:04 PM »

Page 87 (added April 29)

That may be true but the guy carrying the rifle is not hunting with a muzzle loader.

That makes sense.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2019, 10:05:26 PM »
You can hike all over the woods with any firearm you want. There is no restriction on self defense Firearms. Rifle or pistol can be used for self defense, or target practice.

Now if you see someone  actually shooting at a animal that’s different.

So which is it ? Was the guy shooting at a animal.?
Or just walking along with his buddy?

:yeah:
He might not hunt at all but is just a competition target shooter...  :dunno:

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2019, 10:18:37 PM »
"Carrying a modern firearm while muzzleloader hunting" is the title.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2019, 11:00:44 PM »
Actually it say's "muzzle loader" with a space. :tup:

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2019, 08:45:07 AM »
Have been casually following this thread but suddenly it has become personal.  I'm going along with a relative who will hunt a muzzle loading elk season and plan to hunt cougar with a .243 in that Management Unit while he hunts elk. 

How are all of you so sure it is OK to carry a .243 or larger modern rifle in a muzzle loader area when a muzzle loader season is on?

The only exception I have found to the prohibition on carrying a modern firearm during a muzzleloader season is a narrow interpretation of:  “It is unlawful... while in the field muzzleloader hunting...  “  The loophole/unstated exception that would allow hunting cougar with a .243 is that I am in the field hunting but I am not muzzleloader hunting. .

Anywhere else in the regs spell this out better?   That interpretation alone is pretty thin and subject to field officer interpretation

(FWIW the page numbers and reg sections cited in this thread do not match the page numbers nor sections in my 2019 copy of WA State Big Game regs.)

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2019, 08:56:17 AM »
A few years ago I was stopped by a game cop
I was archery hunting elk somehow the topic of grouse hunting came up and I said yeah I carry a 20 gauge on the backseat I am not going to waste an arrow on a grouse
We discussed it back-and-forth and he said you’re not supposed to have it in the field when archery hunting I said it’s in my truck not in the field if I had the bow and the shotgun together outside the vehicle it would’ve been a problem personally for me when the discussion ended it was determined that in the field is not the same as in the truck I believe the correct interpretation in this case is the gentleman that was muzzleloading and the gentleman that was rifle hunting are doing two separate things in the field anymore I don’t bother to take the 20 gauge with me due to theft and don’t wanna leave it in my truck that’s my personal choice so if one person is cougar hunting or coyote hunting with a modern firearm and has the appropriate License and tags I don’t see a problem
In the field is the key You can’t shoulder a modern firearm and carry a bow or front stuffer at the same time during a specific muzzleloader or archery season no different then what you have described

I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2019, 08:57:34 AM »
If you're not hunting deer or elk during a muzzleloader season then there are no restrictions on what kind of firearm you can carry. That would be ridiculous if there was. So that would mean you could not use a modern firearm for bear or cougar except during modern firearm deer and elk seasons. Or, after all archery and muzzleloader seasons were over for the year, which would be December 31.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2019, 10:55:36 AM »
I called a local WDFW office on this a couple years back.  I was having a coyote problem on my property, stealing chickens, stalking livestock, etc.  I was concerned as I was going to spotlight the coyote(s) and shoot them during the modern season and I didn't have a modern tag anyway.  They said that I could proceed with my plan since it was on my property.  I suppose there is always and exception.... 

There is an issue to consider during modern deer and elk seasons but not muzzleloader.

(1) It is unlawful to hunt wildlife during any modern firearm deer or elk season with any firearm 240 caliber or larger, or containing slugs or buckshot, unless the hunter has a valid license, permits and tags for modern firearm deer or elk seasons are in his or her possession.

https://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=220-413-060

Offline Samloffler

• Hunter
  • Groups: Pheasants forever, RMEF
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2019, 12:58:23 PM »
Way too much over thinking going on here. Are you hunting elk with the modern rifle? No. Proceed. Its is literally only illegal when you have a ML or bow AND rifle on you at the same time while actively hunting. Pistols are legal always, just don't put the kill shot on something with your 45.

Offline steen

• Women's Board
  • Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2019, 01:29:07 PM »
There is an issue to consider during modern deer and elk seasons but not muzzleloader.

(1) It is unlawful to hunt wildlife during any modern firearm deer or elk season with any firearm 240 caliber or larger, or containing slugs or buckshot, unless the hunter has a valid license, permits and tags for modern firearm deer or elk seasons are in his or her possession.

https://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=220-413-060

And it’s a dumb law. :twocents:
The wording is "hunt" so I see carrying a rifle not against the law, although that is probably what they are portraying.  So many laws are worded in such a way that it is confusing. With that being said, I don't carry a rifle unless I have a tag in my pocket. But I most always have my sidearm when in the woods. I wouldn't kill an animal out of season unless I was protecting myself or others. Once I remember doing a little 4 wheeling and we got stuck a couple miles from home. We had 2 rifles in the truck and proceeded to walk home carrying the rifles. We certainly were not going to leave them in the truck! That has been 30 years but what do you do? (although it could have been hunting season, hence the reason the rifles were in the truck!) Look at the 1639 law where you are not allowed to borrow your rifle to someone unless you are with them. (if I remember the law right) That means the new change in the hunting laws that say a child now under the age of 14-16 can now hunt of his/her own, BUT they cannot own a firearm! Just a few thoughts.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]