collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New build for 2020  (Read 17321 times)

Offline bullfisher

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: New build for 2020
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2019, 11:15:32 PM »
I love my 6.5 PRC, but it ended up almost 12lbs even though I tried to be weight conscious. Thankfully it turned out to be a laser. 23" #7 contour 7 twist Mcgowen barrel on a savage long action.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 06:54:01 AM »
Everyone chases that light rifle but light rifles are just harder to shoot. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't shot a heavy gun.  For a LR hunting rig I think that 9-10lb window is the money slot for a packable but solid platform.  You could shave a few ounces here and there and you could also chop a few inches of barrel and get your weight down a bit more. A short action will shave a few ounces as well.  My wsm is in a game scout with 26" Hells Canyon Armory carbon at 26". Hawkins rings and leupold mrk4. I wouldnt what it any lighter  :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 07:12:42 AM »
  For a LR hunting rig I think that 9-10lb window is the money slot for a packable but solid platform.

:yeah:  My 338 Lapua is at 10.5 lb with 7-42 Leupold and right at 10 lb with swarovski .   10lb is my sweet spot for packing and still spot my own shots at 20 power.   

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2019, 08:47:33 AM »
I love my 6.5 PRC, but it ended up almost 12lbs even though I tried to be weight conscious. Thankfully it turned out to be a laser. 23" #7 contour 7 twist Mcgowen barrel on a savage long action.

Dont know what bullet youre using but Ive heard several guys voice their interest in running Bergers 156gr bullet in their factory short action 8 twist rifles, its nice to see your build is actually optimized for the heavier bullets.......

Offline Mulie87

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA USPSA
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2019, 06:29:28 PM »
I started wanting a 7-8lb’er as stated, but given the components I want to use it’ll probably be at that 10lb mark. I’m ok with that. I just don’t want a pencil barrel rifle with this build.

I’m gonna weigh my 300RUM. This rifle should be about 2lb lighter...at least. The stock will be 1.5lb lighter, Talley one piece rings instead of vortex precision rings and not using a 20moa rail. Proof barrel is 2” shorter and no brake.

Offline Mulie87

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA USPSA
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2019, 06:36:57 PM »
12.3lbs. Ya, the new one will be at 10lb or less. Dang, the rum is heavy, but its a dream to shoot.

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2019, 10:05:25 PM »
Depending on scope you can get down to 8ish pounds with a fluted #4, not a pencil barrel.

Rem 700 LA, fluted bolt, fluted 24" #4 Broughton, McM Hunter (edge fill), Timney. Had an FX3 6x42 and it weighed about 7.6 lbs with Alumina covers. Now has a Zeiss V4 4-16×44, haven't weighed it recently. Built by RBros, had Kampfeld flute the bolt and barrel after. Last group I shot @200 was .53" with the 145 LRX off a bench.

Wby and RBros 280AI
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 08:03:52 AM by Taco280AI »

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2019, 10:30:30 PM »
 Text sent
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2019, 11:38:08 AM »
Sorry to hijack your post but is there a reason why you guys are using a LA over a SA for the 6.5 PRC? I am planning to build one out of a spare Model 7 action with a magnum bolt face. Trying to keep the overall build around 8 lbs.

Here's a list of what I plan on using:

Rem Model 7 action
Timney trigger
McMillan Gamewarden adjustable stock
Proof Research barrel with sendero light contour
Leupold VX6 3-18x50

Also any recommendations on a reputable gunsmith in Spokane/CDA area would be great.

Instagram @dmoua_outdoors

Youtube channel DMOUA OUTDOORS
https://www.youtube.com/user/YeXuSsOlDiEr

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2019, 12:18:55 PM »
Sorry to hijack your post but is there a reason why you guys are using a LA over a SA for the 6.5 PRC? I am planning to build one out of a spare Model 7 action with a magnum bolt face. Trying to keep the overall build around 8 lbs.

Rem Model 7 action
Timney trigger
Leupold VX6 3-18x50

Also any recommendations on a reputable gunsmith in Spokane/CDA area would be great.
with some of the big .264 bullets out there now a LA enables a guy to seat the heavies out long to maximize case capacity. Or that's just what the donor action is that they have.

Swap that timney out for a trigger tech and you've got a pretty solid list there :tup:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2019, 02:46:57 PM »

I've been using Shawn Carlock w/Defensive Edge Rifles, which is just across the fence in Rathdrum Idaho, for well over ten years and many different builds.  Shawn and his dad Bob are excellent to work with and build a very fine rifle.  I've had builds done by other smiths too, Kevin Weaver (Colorado), Kirby Allen (MT), Kevin Cram (PA), and Randy Melvin (MT), all of them build extremely accurate rifles, but having a smith only be 30 minutes away is a VERY nice feature to have and saves you time and money shipping stuff back and forth.  Defensive Edge also has the fastest build time of any gunsmith I've ever used, I think the longest build they've done for me took around 6 months but nearly all the others were under 3 months from drop off to pick up.

You don't have to but when building on the Model 7 action, maybe consider having the smith enlarge the rear hole to the same size as the front, like the 700's are.

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2019, 07:01:32 PM »

Rem Model 7 action
Timney trigger
Leupold VX6 3-18x50

with some of the big .264 bullets out there now a LA enables a guy to seat the heavies out long to maximize case capacity. Or that's just what the donor action is that they have.

Swap that timney out for a trigger tech and you've got a pretty solid list there :tup:

Gotcha. I already have the Timney already or else I would have bought a Trigger Tech to try out.

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2019, 07:05:00 PM »

I've been using Shawn Carlock w/Defensive Edge Rifles, which is just across the fence in Rathdrum Idaho, for well over ten years and many different builds.  Shawn and his dad Bob are excellent to work with and build a very fine rifle.  I've had builds done by other smiths too, Kevin Weaver (Colorado), Kirby Allen (MT), Kevin Cram (PA), and Randy Melvin (MT), all of them build extremely accurate rifles, but having a smith only be 30 minutes away is a VERY nice feature to have and saves you time and money shipping stuff back and forth.  Defensive Edge also has the fastest build time of any gunsmith I've ever used, I think the longest build they've done for me took around 6 months but nearly all the others were under 3 months from drop off to pick up.

You don't have to but when building on the Model 7 action, maybe consider having the smith enlarge the rear hole to the same size as the front, like the 700's are.

Thank you. I will have to give them a call one of these days. My other question is do you just bring all your parts to them when you have it all or do you just have them order the stuff you want/need? First build ever so noobie to the whole process.

Offline jjhunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2019, 07:08:30 PM »
My hunting pard has a Canyon rifle in 338 edge and it shoots 300 grain matchkings in the .1’s consistently.  Insanely accurate.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2019, 07:08:40 PM »

Thank you. I will have to give them a call one of these days. My other question is do you just bring all your parts to them when you have it all or do you just have them order the stuff you want/need? First build ever so noobie to the whole process.
you can do either or. If a guy is patient, a bit flexible, and shops around, there are some good buys on components out there. Some builders won't use certain things though so take that into account as well

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal