collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Opinions and experiences with 22lr conversion kits for AR15.  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: Opinions and experiences with 22lr conversion kits for AR15.
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2019, 07:38:05 AM »
If going bolt gun go with the CZ 455 with Manners stock  :tup:. Mines so accurate with CCI its almost boring , had The Range thread mine for a suppressor . Both my daughter's (11 & 7 ) love shooting it .
too rich for my blood for a .22  :chuckle: that's a defiance action worth of cash! I think we'll be leaning ruger precision route
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2019, 08:16:28 AM »
Have you checked out those tikka t1’s Karl? I am jonesing for one pretty bad in 17! :drool:
I haven't. I'm not a 17 fan. Old school .22 mag guy but I need a 22lr for the kids to train on. The AR conversion appealed to what I needed as the 6 position stock could be adjusted to fit him but if I am gonna have to buy a new gun I'll go bokt action with adjustable stock as a bolt gun is a better trainer for a kid who will hunt with a bolt gun.
I believe they come in 22lr & 22 mag. Incredibly smooth little action & there are some aftermarket parts for them.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2019, 09:21:18 AM »
I'm not a 17 fan. Old school .22 mag guy

I can appreciate that, I was the same way.  Was a 17 rimfire holdout for a long time until I just couldn't take hearing about the 17 HMR anymore and bought one just to prove to myself it was all just a bunch of marketing hype.  Well, long story short, as much as I tried to not like the 17 HMR, for what I was using it for, mostly sage rat chootin, the 17 just flat did everything better, in fact, a lot better.  Now, I don't own a single rifle in 22mag and have two HMR's and a WSM.  The only 22mag I have now is a KelTec PMR30.

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2019, 09:36:23 AM »
Ya I have 22’s & a 22mag but not a 17 hmr. My boy has a 17 & it is a grouse killer of the escapees of the shotgun that land in the trees & was 17-18 on prairie dogs in Wyoming last year our to 125 yds. It is a bad little cartridge imo.😎

I might add that I really like that T1x a lot due to the smooth action/bolt design & a full size bolt handle. The ruger action,bolt & handle are a bit crude imo but they do shoot good from what I’ve heard.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2019, 09:46:56 AM »
Ya I have 22’s & a 22mag but not a 17 hmr. My boy has a 17 & it is a grouse killer of the escapees of the shotgun that land in the trees & was 17-18 on prairie dogs in Wyoming last year our to 125 yds. It is a bad little cartridge imo.😎

I might add that I really like that T1x a lot due to the smooth action/bolt design & a full size bolt handle. The ruger action,bolt & handle are a bit crude imo but they do shoot good from what I’ve heard.
I think everyone has missed the point here so I'll break it down again into cliff notes  :chuckle:

• young shooter
• .22lr
•SHORT length of pull
•cheap

I needed feedback on the conversion kits not caliber and rifle recommendations. Thank you everyone for their input but let's go ahead and let this one die off as now that I've decided that the AR conversion is a no go, I pretty much know what I wnat.

PS, I've owned several 17's and they are not and will never be a 22 mag 8)
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2019, 09:50:25 AM »
I'd look into a 9mm AR.

Lot more fun for the 8-12 range.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2019, 10:02:20 AM »
Have you thought about a voodoo 22 Karl? It’s crazy expensive and uses 700 pattern accessories, they can be very expensive too... I think you could outfit the little guy with a good shootin 22 for a cool $7-9k with an adjustable length of pull. But in the end it wouldn’t be a 22mag or a 17 hmr so you may not be interested.

:chuckle:

Offline Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2019, 10:11:50 AM »
My Dad owns a very early Colt AR (pre forward assist) and in the late 70's he bought a Cobray .22lr kit.  It never worked worth a darn (his language was a tad more colorful)  I would hope some company has come up with something better in the last 40 years

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2019, 11:57:50 AM »

I think everyone has missed the point here so I'll break it down again into cliff notes  :chuckle:

• young shooter
• .22lr
•SHORT length of pull
•cheap

I needed feedback on the conversion kits not caliber and rifle recommendations. Thank you everyone for their input but let's go ahead and let this one die off as now that I've decided that the AR conversion is a no go, I pretty much know what I wnat.

:chuckle: c’mon Karl! You know how much everyone on this board likes to spend somebody else’s money on cool stuff! :chuckle:

if cheap is the criteria than get a Marlin & a couple bricks of ammo & go nuts. I have a Marlin 22 mag that cost me $100 years ago & all’s it does is kill stuff & shoot tiny groups! 8)

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2019, 12:06:59 PM »
Me too but I dont want to chop the stock in half to fit him.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2019, 02:37:24 PM »
:chuckle: c’mon Karl! You know how much everyone on this board likes to spend somebody else’s money on cool stuff! :chuckle:

if cheap is the criteria than get a Marlin & a couple bricks of ammo & go nuts. I have a Marlin 22 mag that cost me $100 years ago & all’s it does is kill stuff & shoot tiny groups! 8)

I honestly can't imagine spending more than $200 on a 22.

Right or wrong I view them as glorified 50 yard pellet guns for shooting cans and squirrels.

I've seen the high end setups at the range and I really don't get it.

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2019, 05:12:10 PM »
Me too but I dont want to chop the stock in half to fit him.
Then dont pick up a CZ 455 and throw it in a chassis  :chuckle:
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2019, 09:39:29 PM »

• young shooter
• .22lr
•SHORT length of pull
•cheap

I think a Ruger RPR 22 is exactly what you just described... They are sooo much fun to shoot its stupid, especially with a can and a good scope...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]