collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Reported a poacher this morning  (Read 21095 times)

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Re: Reported a poacher this morning
« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2020, 01:30:53 PM »
I'm sorry that you guys don't know how to cook a wild turkey....  :chuckle:

I found that with the right amount of rice and Teriyaki sauce it was just fine  :tup:
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline ne kid

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #151 on: April 07, 2020, 01:33:30 PM »
Same thing was said about a bat in Wuhan.

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #152 on: April 07, 2020, 02:09:02 PM »
Same thing was said about a bat in Wuhan.
:chuckle:
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline cb1989

• Tracker
« Reply #153 on: April 07, 2020, 02:33:59 PM »
I'm sorry that you guys don't know how to cook a wild turkey....  :chuckle:

x2... one of my favorites. Picatta or schnitzel with the breasts, soup or slow cooker tacos with the dark meat. Maybe thats why the NE has so many birds, y'all trying to cook em like a GMO butterball

Offline ne kid

• Scout
« Reply #154 on: April 07, 2020, 02:45:24 PM »
Anytime you have to beat the meat as for schnitzel, or marinade something for 7 weeks to make it edible I question the taste. I myself can salt and pepper a deer,elk,bear,cougar,grouse,pheasant,hun,etc. And it is good. Turkey,goose,duck not so much. To say they are excellent or to say we are not cooking them right is laughable.

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #155 on: April 07, 2020, 03:11:22 PM »
Anytime you have to beat the meat as for schnitzel, or marinade something for 7 weeks to make it edible I question the taste. I myself can salt and pepper a deer,elk,bear,cougar,grouse,pheasant,hun,etc. And it is good. Turkey,goose,duck not so much. To say they are excellent or to say we are not cooking them right is laughable.

You lost me at Beat meat schnitzel.

#turkeydeservesagoodcook
Just tend your own and live.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #156 on: April 07, 2020, 03:12:57 PM »
last turkey I cooked was awesome. Rubbed the skin with olive oil, salt and pepper. Cut up an apple, orange and lemon and put that in the cavity and roasted it. Delicious
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #157 on: April 07, 2020, 03:31:04 PM »
I doubt they are poor.

That cabin looks like its still somewhat under construction. And I know that campers and trailers drop in value faster than fresh fish, but that trailer looks reasonably nice as well. Mainly though, its the wording of the post.

Please don’t criticize as this is his right of passage.

First off, no one who views a hunt as a right of passage would phrase it like that. If she were a grizzled, 4th generation mountain lady whose ancestor deserted the confederate army and they've been hiding out in those mountains ever since, that kid wouldn't have to do his "right of passage" by himself, wandering into the woods to shoot a random whatever, and he would have likely done it a lot younger than 14. She would know that hunting seasons exist, and she would definitely know not to brag about it on facebook. And if they were "new poor," they would have relocated to the suburbs, not the woods.

Who is she worried about being critical? Not other grizzled mountain folk. She posted it on "Off Grid Living For Beginners," which is a facebook group of tiny house eco-hippies. She's worried that the REI set would disapprove of the hunting in general, which is why she used such weird wording like "right of passage."

My guess. They decided to bug out to their 90% finished cabin to ride out COVID, and now they are cosplaying mountain men. They are "running low on meat" because they don't yet understand how to buy groceries when their aren't 5 grocery stores within a 10 minute drive.

I must have the Kung Flu because I agree with all of this. Someone please take my temperature.  :yike:
:yeah:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #158 on: April 07, 2020, 04:37:37 PM »
I bet they got plenty of TP.
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline cb1989

• Tracker
« Reply #159 on: April 07, 2020, 07:21:15 PM »

dont hunt em then... more for me  :chuckle:

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #160 on: April 07, 2020, 07:34:48 PM »
No disrespect meant, I’m just being honest. No I wouldn’t have turned in someone for killing/poaching a turkey.  Anyone that knows me knows how much I hate poaching, turkeys are a pest for most people that live in turkey country.  I’ve sent people messages before on Facebook that have done illegal crap, I simply told them what law they broke and moved on.  Elk, deer, moose or other big game gets poached and I find out, the situation would dictate who I call. BUT, I’d never get on here or any social media to brag about it.  That’s really the only thing about this thread that sucks.  Either way, I don’t want disrespect nor do I give it in this situation.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #161 on: April 07, 2020, 07:39:26 PM »
No disrespect meant, I’m just being honest. No I wouldn’t have turned in someone for killing/poaching a turkey.  Anyone that knows me knows how much I hate poaching, turkeys are a pest for most people that live in turkey country.  I’ve sent people messages before on Facebook that have done illegal crap, I simply told them what law they broke and moved on.  Elk, deer, moose or other big game gets poached and I find out, the situation would dictate who I call. BUT, I’d never get on here or any social media to brag about it.  That’s really the only thing about this thread that sucks.  Either way, I don’t want disrespect nor do I give it in this situation.

Yeah, you are probably right.  It's only a little bit illegal.  No harm......no foul.
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2020, 07:46:25 PM »

Homestly i dont give a damn about turkeys either.  Hell, theyre not even native.  But the way i see it, people like this are going to be poaching deer too.  Or elk.  Or moose.  This is their chance to learn the facts of life before its a BIG problem for them.  Better this kid gets set straight for poaching turkey, then wait for the law to come down on him for something bigger.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #163 on: April 07, 2020, 07:52:12 PM »
Well, hopefully he only gets a slap on the wrist but hopefully it scares him a bit. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #164 on: April 07, 2020, 07:59:51 PM »
Well, hopefully he only gets a slap on the wrist but hopefully it scares him a bit.

Thats the outcome i would like to see.  Dont hang the kid, but enough of a scare to set him and his family on the straight and narrow.  I figure a turkey poacher is, or will be, a deer poacher.  This is a good opportunity to fix things without screwing up a dumb kids life.  I did all kinds of stupid *censored* when i was young, and im sure a few others on here did too.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 08:16:15 PM by Bango skank »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab