collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Olympic National Park Goat Hunt Group Anyone?  (Read 66124 times)

Offline sagemd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: 98446
Re: Olympic National Park Goat Hunt Group Anyone?
« Reply #285 on: June 03, 2020, 10:05:11 PM »
"Right or wrong, The plan was never to manage the heard, the plan was to completely remove them from the ecosystem and its been that way for at least 20 years...."

Agreed.
A terrible thing.
And the park service should be but isn't ashamed.

Offline stlusn30-06

• Hunter
  • Groups: Wildlife Committee of Washington, BHA
« Reply #286 on: June 04, 2020, 10:17:57 AM »
"Right or wrong, The plan was never to manage the heard, the plan was to completely remove them from the ecosystem and its been that way for at least 20 years...."

Agreed.
A terrible thing.
And the park service should be but isn't ashamed.

I understand the sentiment here, but it would take an act of Congress to allow for hunting seasons to be opened in ONP. NPS officials, Bios, etc...would need to undertake a substantial lobbying effort to get the rules changed, all to allow for the hunting of a Non-Native deleterious species. I obviously would 100% support that effort, but am not surprised, nor do I hold it against them for not taking that route. The culling of animals through various methods, is (while maybe not our favorite) one of the management options utilized in the North American model. Foundational to the model, is science based wildlife management. Everyone agrees mistakes have been made over the past ~80years, but on the whole it has been a success. With that understanding I have to believe the decision to cull wasn't taken likely.

That and they will live on in the native North Cascades habitat many of them of have been, and will be relocated to. Hopefully boosting those populations will provide hunting opportunities in the future.
“There are people in my life who sometimes worry about me when I go off into the fields and streams, not realizing that the country is a calm, gracious, forgiving place and that the real dangers are found in the civilization you have to pass through to get there." - Gierach

Offline sagemd

• Hunter
  • Groups: 98446
« Reply #287 on: June 04, 2020, 03:15:05 PM »
I agree that this plan is the best answer to a very bad situation the park service as created.
Glad it is going down this way rather than shot from the air and leaving them to rot.
You can call it a cull. By definition a cull doesn't remove all animals.
An extermination does.

The park service already has the authority to have emergency hunts.
It doesn't take an act of congress.
They are doing it now. And could have done this long ago.
The fact is they could have used other creative methods to manage wildlife.
As they are doing now. Because of public outcry.
I suspect many are just antihunting, and allowed the problem to get large enough that it could not be handled by hunting.

But I'm glad there are allot of hunters willing to help the park service exterminate the goats!

Offline Falcon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #288 on: June 04, 2020, 08:09:33 PM »
I agree that this plan is the best answer to a very bad situation the park service as created.
Glad it is going down this way rather than shot from the air and leaving them to rot.
An extermination does.

I suspect many are just antihunting, and allowed the problem to get large enough that it could not be handled by hunting.

But I'm glad there are allot of hunters willing to help the park service exterminate the goats!
[/
An extermination does.

:yeah:

I agree.  I was on the very first relocation project.   It was a very cool experience, and it would have been great to see all the goats moved, but deep down, I was pretty sure it would never see season 3 of the funded project.   It’s very expensive and truth be told, there were going to areas that were too extreme. 
This project isn’t perfect, but I think having hunters harvest the goats, realizing it more of a cull is better than having federal fish and wildlife sharp shooters kill them from helicopters and let em lay.   
Cast all your anxiety upon him, for he cares for you.    1 Peter 5:7

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #289 on: June 05, 2020, 07:26:58 PM »
I did send Dr Happe a thank you, even though we were not selected.  It is the most impressed I've been with a government employee in a while.

Ditto

+1.  Bummed to not be selected, but I've been generally impressed with the program they put together.  From what I can tell, Dr Happe and her team have done an excellent job in a very contentious and complex situation. 

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #290 on: June 06, 2020, 10:04:43 PM »
I wish they would have made each group show up for a one day competition on all aspects of this hunt. Although I'm sure there were A LOT of super qualified teams, I will never believe there were 21 better qualified (Every Aspect) for this hunt that ours with the criteria given.  :twocents:

I don't know you or your team, and your team might have been BOMB, but as for the individual competitors in said "one-day competition on all aspects of this hunt," I'd bet a whole lot of money on Michael Blanchard smoking everybody: Third place in Best Ranger Competition https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2016/04/17/nco-and-officer-duo-claims-title-of-best-ranger-2016/; beat in said competition by Robert Killian, Spartan OCR world champion, https://life.spartan.com/post/spartan-robert-killian; and killer of dead-of-winter mountain goats on Kodiak Is. And I'll guess he gets to put more shots down-range per week than most all of us, along with some of the world's best armors and trainers helping him shoot small.

Maybe I have a man-crush on a dude I've never met, but dang, he has credentials for that goat removal project. He might even wear a cape!

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #291 on: June 06, 2020, 11:22:16 PM »
I won't argue that, and I personally know there were several other groups with guys of the top caliber as well. It wasn't only the physical aspect of this hunt that was challenging, but the mental game would have played just as big of role too.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 08:17:55 AM by MtnMuley »

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #292 on: June 07, 2020, 06:34:07 AM »
I wish they would have made each group show up for a one day competition on all aspects of this hunt. Although I'm sure there were A LOT of super qualified teams, I will never believe there were 21 better qualified (Every Aspect) for this hunt that ours with the criteria given.  :twocents:

I don't know you or your team, and your team might have been BOMB, but as for the individual competitors in said "one-day competition on all aspects of this hunt," I'd bet a whole lot of money on Michael Blanchard smoking everybody: Third place in Best Ranger Competition https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2016/04/17/nco-and-officer-duo-claims-title-of-best-ranger-2016/; beat in said competition by Robert Killian, Spartan OCR world champion, https://life.spartan.com/post/spartan-robert-killian; and killer of dead-of-winter mountain goats on Kodiak Is. And I'll guess he gets to put more shots down-range per week than most all of us, along with some of the world's best armors and trainers helping him shoot small.

Maybe I have a man-crush on a dude I've never met, but dang, he has credentials for that goat removal project. He might even wear a cape!

You gotta remember that michael B had a dude like me on his application to slow him down tho!  :chuckle:

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #293 on: June 07, 2020, 10:34:19 AM »
I mean, he's cool I guess. Doesn't matter how tough he is though because he still suffers from little brother complex which means if I come at him he folds into the fetal position.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #294 on: June 07, 2020, 10:58:08 AM »
 :chuckle: Careful Karl, little bro might have to whoop your azz someday just to prove he can!

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #295 on: June 07, 2020, 05:46:11 PM »
I mean, he's cool I guess. Doesn't matter how tough he is though because he still suffers from little brother complex which means if I come at him he folds into the fetal position.

As a little brother, I know the competitive drive to "best" my older brother.  My money is still on Michael. ;)

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #296 on: June 08, 2020, 12:28:21 PM »

As a little brother, I know the competitive drive to "best" my older brother.  My money is still on Michael. ;)
It would be a good scrap , Karl better try and end it quick though.
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #297 on: June 08, 2020, 01:10:57 PM »
Without going back and reading 20 pages... has a single Hunt WA member been selected?

Offline stew pidasso

• GHOST FEET
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Shoot straight
« Reply #298 on: June 08, 2020, 01:18:27 PM »
Without going back and reading 20 pages... has a single Hunt WA member been selected?

Yes, around 3 or more.
Don't forget your spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch.

Offline Bearhunter

• Go in Lite come out Heavy!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #299 on: July 03, 2020, 09:10:17 PM »
To bring this back to life....  I cant imagine that this hunt is even going to take place???  What are all of your thoughts????
Go in Lite come out Heavy!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter