collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The wait begins  (Read 25586 times)

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: The wait begins
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2020, 10:39:05 AM »
If you can put your phone on slomo video its easy to tune brake.   I’d start with back 2 open and keep opening until you detect any initial downward movement - you have to look really really close.   

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2020, 01:09:40 PM »
Looks like you've got a really good general purpose hunting set up there.  Should serve you very well.  Get in touch with me if you need any help dialing it in. 
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline dmoua

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2020, 03:53:41 PM »
If you can put your phone on slomo video its easy to tune brake.   I’d start with back 2 open and keep opening until you detect any initial downward movement - you have to look really really close.

I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

Looks like you've got a really good general purpose hunting set up there.  Should serve you very well.  Get in touch with me if you need any help dialing it in. 

Yes this build will be used for hunting only. I’ll work up a few loads and see what it likes. Thanks for the offer.
Instagram @dmoua_outdoors

Youtube channel DMOUA OUTDOORS
https://www.youtube.com/user/YeXuSsOlDiEr

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2020, 04:16:41 PM »
The wait is finally over. Picked it up the other day from Defensive Edge. Now the work really begins.

Looks great!  Did Shawn shoot it?  Usually he shoots everything before you pick it up.

Not that I know of. Didn't feel like getting charged for having my scope mounted so I didn't leave it there.

I would hope he tested it out, seems standard when having one built.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2020, 04:46:45 PM »
I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

Oops thought you had the Generation 3 brake with the tuneable ports, just noticed it was the Gen 2 that doesn't have em.  . 

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2020, 06:29:49 PM »
The wait is finally over. Picked it up the other day from Defensive Edge. Now the work really begins.

Yeah I didn’t think to ask him at all. It just said cleaned on the tag when I picked it up.
Looks great!  Did Shawn shoot it?  Usually he shoots everything before you pick it up.

Not that I know of. Didn't feel like getting charged for having my scope mounted so I didn't leave it there.

I would hope he tested it out, seems standard when having one built.

I would hope so as well.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 10:09:56 PM by dmoua »

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2020, 12:41:44 PM »
Sometimes some shootem sometimes some don't.   If its a caliber a smith is familiar with and loads for they probably will shoot it.  If not why bother unless its a service you have paid for and they built into the price?   What will shooting a random factory load or random handload for that matter tell you other than its safe to shoot and they know that already. 

I know how much time and ammo it takes to develop an accurate load - I wouldn't want to pay gunsmith wages for that - but if they have a pet load I will be happy to start with it. 

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2020, 07:07:23 PM »
Sometimes some shootem sometimes some don't.   If its a caliber a smith is familiar with and loads for they probably will shoot it.  If not why bother unless its a service you have paid for and they built into the price?   What will shooting a random factory load or random handload for that matter tell you other than its safe to shoot and they know that already. 

I know how much time and ammo it takes to develop an accurate load - I wouldn't want to pay gunsmith wages for that - but if they have a pet load I will be happy to start with it.

I'm not too worried if Shawn test shot the rifle or not. I didn't want to pay money for things that I could do myself ie mounting the scope and load development. I'm pretty sure it'll shoot as good as it looks. The finished work is excellent.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2020, 07:10:21 PM »

I'm not too worried if Shawn test shot the rifle or not. I didn't want to pay money for things that I could do myself ie mounting the scope and load development. I'm pretty sure it'll shoot as good as it looks. The finished work is excellent.
are you telling us you haven’t shot it yet?!?!?   I’d have had seizures by now not shooting my new toy!!!    Seriously slacking bud 😝
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2020, 08:51:06 PM »

are you telling us you haven’t shot it yet?!?!?   I’d have had seizures by now not shooting my new toy!!!    Seriously slacking bud 😝

Lol tell me about it.

I've been busy chasing Elk in Idaho with the dang bow. Too bad it's not rifle season or I would have been tagged out already.  :bash:

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2020, 12:19:22 PM »
Well first few problems. One I can't even feed the internal magazine from the top. Two I can't even close the bolt on factory 150gr Hornady and Winchester 180gr. It was throated for Berger 215gr. Shouldn't I still be able to shoot factory ammo from this thing? :dunno:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 12:56:28 PM by dmoua »

Offline callturner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
    • n/a
  • Groups: nra
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2020, 12:52:32 PM »
I would think so! Go back to your gunsmith and explain.

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2020, 12:55:51 PM »
I would think so! Go back to your gunsmith and explain.

I've tried calling twice now but it just goes to the busy tone. I measured the throat with some 185gr Berger VLD hunting and got a max CBTO of 2.148" the max COAL was something around 2.834" with the 185gr Bergers.

Offline callturner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
    • n/a
  • Groups: nra
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2020, 02:03:13 PM »
I would think all should fit , but maybe it was set up for the exact bullet you told him. I had Ron Smith build a barrel for a 338 Lapua and he wanted to know the bullet I was going to shoot. Both weight and length. Another smith cut the chamber though and I just used factory specs for the loaded ammo. Will the shells slide into the chamber at all?

Offline dmoua

• Longhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2020, 02:35:26 PM »
I would think all should fit , but maybe it was set up for the exact bullet you told him. I had Ron Smith build a barrel for a 338 Lapua and he wanted to know the bullet I was going to shoot. Both weight and length. Another smith cut the chamber though and I just used factory specs for the loaded ammo. Will the shells slide into the chamber at all?

They’ll slide in but the bolt won’t close. We throated for 215 knowing I will be running 185’s.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal