collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: woodstove in Kodiak flexbow  (Read 486 times)

Offline ganghis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
woodstove in Kodiak flexbow
« on: June 24, 2020, 09:04:05 PM »
Hi all,
I just did my first burn in the woodstove I put in my new 10x10 flexbow.  I did a bit of reading on Rokslide and watching YouTube videos before deciding on this setup.  It's different than most, in that I put the stovejack in roof, instead of the sidewall as most people have done.  I did this for two reasons: first, it maximizes surface area of the stove pipe within the tent, so will in theory keep it warmer (this may or may not be a good thing), and second, it allows me to use the stock stove pipe that came with my stove (Camp Chef https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G55XXQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1). 

I borrowed a sewing machine from a friend (she also gave me a crash course in sewing), and bought some polyester upholstery thread to sew things in with (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CC8NU0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).  I decided on using a silpat (a silicone baking sheet) as the stove jack, and sewed a smaller, second one to the first to act as a rain shield and to cover the hole when there's not a stove pipe in there (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081ZD3TKD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1).  I sewed in the silpat from the interior about 1/8-3/16 inch from the silpat edge, cut out the canvas in the middle, leaving ~3/4 inch of canvas around the perimeter.  I then made 4 miters on the remaining canvas, folded the ends under and sewed again (canvas, canvas, silpat).  It was a pain in the ass to do all this on a home sewing machine because of all the fabric but it did just fine (pro tip: don't sew the top of your tent to the awning - ha ha!).  You could do it with an awl instead - that might be easier in some ways.  But I think if you go through the roof you want to make sure things are sewed in really good because there's a lot of pressure pulling the fabric apart on these tents.  Here are some videos that helped with the sewing:

I ended up just cutting a '+' into the silpat for the stovepipe to go through (this is what the Kifaru guys do).  Installation of the stovepipe is a little funny for me because I have a nesting stovepipe that increases in diameter with the pipes height.  So you can't really put it through from below unless you want to make the hole oversized.  But I was able to put a segment of pipe in from above when setting up the tent and just connected it to the rest of the stove pipe in the tent once it was up.  I used a 4 x 6 welding blanket doubled up into 2 x 3 underneath the stove itself. 

So far (which isn't long), this setup seems to work just fine.  Probably should have waited to post until I've got a season or two in it but wanted to get this out while it was fresh.  Hopefully this is helpful to someone - I know I couldn't have gotten this far without watching what others have posted so trying to return the favor.

Pics or it didn't happen:

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
Re: woodstove in Kodiak flexbow
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 09:40:58 PM »
Looks clean, but man... that stove is going to cook you out of that tent.... its gonna get hot fast.
Rainier Arms Shooting Team
Rainier Arms, Fortis Manufacturing, Timney Triggers
Vortex Optics, Viking Tactics, Sporting Systems Vancouver

Offline ganghis

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 09:55:12 PM »
Ha ha yeah I'm a little worried about that... hopefully between venting and fuel load and dampers I can work it out but its going to take some playing with

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 11:05:42 AM »
Don't bother packing any sleeping gear that's gonna be a sauna , my 10x12 wall tent gets so hot I can't breath with a small wood stove that's gonna be warm

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 11:12:56 AM »
Looks good, but all you need for that is one of the little backpacking jobs.  Bigger will stay lit longer though! Nice work

Offline Wunderlich33

• Tracker
  • You sure you know how to skin Griz?
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 12:32:46 PM »
I'm sweating just looking at it

Offline Jingles

• Political Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Life is short so enjoy it to the MAX
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 08:36:47 PM »
Very ice job of modifying the tent and the sewing job but I can only imagine how hot it is going to be in a 10 x 10 knowing how warm it gets in my 10 x 14 using a small propane heater  set on 2 of 10 levels.
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990

Offline Crunchy

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 09:50:29 PM »
Awesome job on the alteration.  That stove combined with relatively small tent is going to cook everyone inside once you get it burning good  :chuckle:  I would look for a smaller stove or sleep with the door and any windows open.  Trust me.

Offline C-Money

• V10 Advocate
  • Non-Hunting & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Let's Go Pens!
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 07:36:29 AM »
Very nice! Looks good. Debating myself on going with wood or sticking with propane. Enjoy!
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bear tooth age lookup wdfw? by BlackBellyHumpBack
[Today at 12:52:21 AM]

2020 bears by dmoua
[Today at 12:00:13 AM]

Tacoma Cerakote by dreadi
[Yesterday at 11:43:23 PM]

Play Free: Hunting-Washington $100 Monthly Lotto! by northwesthunter84
[Yesterday at 11:43:19 PM]

No Kettle Range tag holders? by MtnMuley
[Yesterday at 11:06:24 PM]