collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Help! Stuck case  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Mulie87

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA USPSA
Re: Help! Stuck case
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2020, 08:46:43 AM »
Ahhh, ok. I always full length resize after each firing. That’s probobably why they only last a couple loads.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2020, 09:48:10 AM »
Ahhh, ok. I always full length resize after each firing. That’s probobably why they only last a couple loads.

You probably do but if not back off the die and then screw it in and size then try to chamber the round. You want it sized just enuff so your round will chamber in your rifle but no more.    Ideally just .002 shorter than before sized. 

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2020, 11:15:54 AM »
Get yourself a bushing neck sizing only die and only bump the shoulder back when you have to, problem solved.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=stop+neck+sizing+your+brass+youtube#id=1&vid=072dcfcc6301d427e859efb492a414f6&action=click

tier one national shooter.

I have moved on from neck sizing ( over a year ago and so has everyone else I shoot with) because of the very issues he mentions popping up.  I also recommend a case checker gage and you may identify a problem by simply down loading and printing the SAAMI schematic for your cartridge so you can compare measures to be sure the problem isn't the chamber, which I have seen.  I have schematics for everything I load in the event I need to run down a glitch.  Compare measures of fired brass to schematic.

Offline hunter399

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2020, 11:39:14 AM »
Before you prime your cases try to chamber your rounds ,if the bolt is hard to close or won't close try resizing again.
After that,if it doesn't chamber. it's trash or annealing your brass will softens the brass to be able to resize again.some will just anneal all there cases after two or three reloads.some people anneal brand new brass out of the gate.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2020, 01:00:03 PM »
Get yourself a bushing neck sizing only die and only bump the shoulder back when you have to, problem solved.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=stop+neck+sizing+your+brass+youtube#id=1&vid=072dcfcc6301d427e859efb492a414f6&action=click

tier one national shooter.

I have moved on from neck sizing ( over a year ago and so has everyone else I shoot with) because of the very issues he mentions popping up.  I also recommend a case checker gage and you may identify a problem by simply down loading and printing the SAAMI schematic for your cartridge so you can compare measures to be sure the problem isn't the chamber, which I have seen.  I have schematics for everything I load in the event I need to run down a glitch.  Compare measures of fired brass to schematic.
I have no doubt he FL sizes with great success, but shooters at that level are also far more proficient reloaders than the vast majority of recreational shooters are too. 

With all due respect, most recreational reloaders don't really even understand or know what happens with the brass during sizing.  That video assumes a lot and leaves out a great deal of information so it's more of a rant that doesn't really tell the whole story.

Chambers are not all the same, some may be very close, but they often, particularly in factory chambered guns, are slightly different.  I wouldn't recommend anyone size their brass based off of SAAMI specs. 

I use bushing neck size only dies with much of my stuff and FL size with a few others that they don't make a neck size only die for.

To size your brass two, three, or whatever many thou, before, it's reached zero headspace is setting yourself up to get case head separation.  I use the stripped bolt method and measure with calipers and shoulder bump gauges.

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2020, 01:24:03 PM »
unless you use custom cut dies, you will be reloading with saami spec as the guideline. What I was hoping to point out is that by using the saami dimensions for reference, you will be able to identify potential problems with a chamber as the fired case can be quite oversized.  One of the guys I know has a custom that has an oversized chamber and he busted 2 Whidden dies before they agreed to there being a problem and made him a custom die based off the fired cases.

I have always fully uniformed my brass to include neck turning and neck sizing until I returned to full length sizing with slight shoulder bump.  I also use some Nosler brass for my 7mm rem mag and that is what made me aware of the limitations of neck only sizing.  However, the Nosler brass doesn't last long for me no matter what, so Id add this op"s problem is typical in that Nosler brass hasn't seemed to last for me atleast.  I have also learned that 2, 3, 4, or even 5k bump will work fine, the big objective is in uniformity as having them all be as close as possible to the same.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2020, 01:38:30 PM »
I also use some Nosler brass for my 7mm rem mag and that is what made me aware of the limitations of neck only sizing. 

I have also learned that 2, 3, 4, or even 5k bump will work fine, the big objective is in uniformity as having them all be as close as possible to the same.

And what do you believe the limitations of neck only sizing are?

Where do you bump them back 2-5 thou from or do you just pick a number between 2 and 5 thou and arbitrarily bump them back that amount?  Are you using calipers and shoulder bump gauges?

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2020, 01:47:25 PM »
Of course I use caliper and gauges, and I have tested for results from 2-5k and I have measured immediately after firing and once again when cooled.

Biggest problem I have is eventually you wind up with cases hard to chamber because the case head is oversized at the web and that will eventually lead to separation.  That is why I use case gauges and like to see my reloaded rounds fit fully into the guage.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2020, 02:04:03 PM »
Not trying to be argumentative, but case head separation is caused by a continued cycle of pushing the shoulder back to far then excessive stretching.

Every time you FL size a piece of brass, whether you want it to or not, the brass gets longer from case head to shoulder datum.  It doesn't push it back until the die is screwed down far enough for the shoulder of the brass to come in contact with the shouldered part of the die.  This is why people who think they can take a FL die, back it off, and use it to neck size only, have problems with the brass not chambering in their gun.  It's not that neck sizing only causes the problem, it's that they are trying to use a FL die to neck size only with.

Offline buckfvr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2020, 02:31:28 PM »
You got me there, I never have and don't know of anyone else who has tried to neck size with a full length sizing die.  Plus, Ive been reloading since 1975 and never known any one to do so.   Neck sizing only DOES cause the web area of the case to enlarge leading to the problems Ive mentioned.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2020, 02:46:52 PM »
Biggest problem I have is eventually you wind up with cases hard to chamber because the case head is oversized at the web and that will eventually lead to separation.

Neck sizing only DOES cause the web area of the case to enlarge leading to the problems Ive mentioned.

So you believe case head separation happens because the brass swells beyond its limits, at the web area, and that's why it breaks in two?

Curious, why do you think neck sizing only, "DOES" cause brass to enlarge at the web area, more than FL sizing?

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2020, 03:05:07 PM »
I’ve neck sized only with fl dies.  I’ve used neck only dies. Eventually I always had to fl size to ease chambering.  It’s no fun bumping your shoulder closing the bolt.  I now fl size everything with .002-3 shoulder bump.  Never had a case head separation except when fire forming with too hot a load.   Jmo based on my experiences.   I have some brass on its 20th loading and 3rd barrel.   Most brass looses the primer pockets before they get too thin if bumped right.  Friend of mine was getting case head separation and so we sat down at his bench with my shoulder bump gages and started figuring out what was going on.  His die set up as the directions stated with one of his shell holders was .014” shoulder bump!!!
Tried the next shell holder he had and it was .003 with out moving the die. 
Once you get your shoulder bump set with a particular shell holder mark it. 

I recommend neck sizing for only the first 3 firings. Then shoulder bump .002 or so and use that for the life of the case.  This will give you a true fire form and proper shoulder bump.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter