collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cooking morels in your freeze dried meals?  (Read 9205 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Cooking morels in your freeze dried meals?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2021, 03:00:27 PM »
Most wild mushrooms should be cooked over a skillet or in the oven. Some of the chemicals on fungi dissipate with heat. I'm unsure that adding raw dried mushrooms to boiling water would do the trick.

Not dried, fresh picked.
No idea then. I wouldn't wait until the hunting trip to try them out, though.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2021, 02:53:48 PM »
Most wild mushrooms should be cooked over a skillet or in the oven. Some of the chemicals on fungi dissipate with heat. I'm unsure that adding raw dried mushrooms to boiling water would do the trick.

Not dried, fresh picked.

You missed the point. The mushrooms would have been picked during the trip.

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2021, 03:31:21 PM »
Where are you finding morels during hunting season?  They are long gone around here by September.

Offline treeclimber2852

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2021, 12:14:51 AM »
We dehydrated a bunch and used them in the stroganoff (mountain house, but the stowaway gourmet doeganoff is phenomenal and would be great with morels too).

Offline boatloader

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
    • Matt Kanarr
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2021, 10:09:21 AM »
Where are you finding morels during hunting season?  They are long gone around here by September.
I found em turkey hunting in NE in May. That's when I've had the idea. I didn't do it either. I was mighty tempted. NE was also overrun at this time of year with a suillus species that looked related to a slippery jack, which is related to a bolete/porcini. I was pretty tempted to try those too. But you know... "find many, before trying any" and all that...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2021, 10:34:04 AM »

Not dried, fresh picked.

Fresh is the same. Most fresh, wild mushrooms have toxins that need to be cooked out. Porcini are an exception (boletus edulis)I'm dubious that adding raw, fresh mushrooms to dehydrated food and only adding boiling water to cook would eliminate those toxins. They should be thoroughly pre-cooked first, like sautéing or roasting over the fire . I have personal experience with eating raw, uncooked mushrooms. The result will prevent your hunting for at least 24 hours. And, and of special concern if you have a limited water supply, you will dehydrate rapidly from both ends. I have vast professional experience with wild mushrooms. Please take this seriously to not ruin your hunt or impact your health.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2021, 10:35:52 AM »

Not dried, fresh picked.

Fresh is the same. Most fresh, wild mushrooms have toxins that need to be cooked out. Porcini are an exception (boletus edulis)I'm dubious that adding raw, fresh mushrooms to dehydrated food and only adding boiling water to cook would eliminate those toxins. They should be thoroughly pre-cooked first, like sautéing or roasting over the fire . I have personal experience with eating raw, uncooked mushrooms. The result will prevent your hunting for at least 24 hours. And, and of special concern if you have a limited water supply, you will dehydrate rapidly from both ends. I have vast professional experience with wild mushrooms. Please take this seriously to not ruin your hunt or impact your health.

No, you missed the point that I’m not saying I’m bringing mushrooms on a hunt that were previously picked. I was eating mushrooms I was finding during my hunt. And I did it 3 days in a row with every meal and it was great.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2021, 10:36:19 AM »

In the spring when they grow.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2021, 10:37:36 AM »

Not dried, fresh picked.

No, you missed the point that I’m not saying I’m bringing mushrooms on a hunt that were previously picked. I was eating mushrooms I was finding during my hunt. And I did it 3 days in a row with every meal and it was great.

Glad it worked out for you!  :tup:

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2021, 11:02:46 AM »

Not dried, fresh picked.

Glad it worked out for you!  :tup:

For whatever it’s worth I have been cooking morels in temps below 212 my entire life in various stews and such. Never heard of anyone getting sick from it.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal