collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Didn’t see him staring at me....until it was too late  (Read 3103 times)

Offline Acrosstheriver

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Didn’t see him staring at me....until it was too late
« on: October 26, 2020, 10:37:13 AM »
Went out for the umpteenth time yesterday to 40 acres of private land that I hunt.  I had tagged out by this time in ‘18 and ‘19 with two nice forkies I took by surprise in at about 40 yards.  Yesterday could have been the third.  I jumped him out of his bed, snorting and stomping.  Got him to come back around by rattling antlers.  I couldn’t see him clearly in the dense brush he was standing in and the sun was behind him.  When I stopped rattling the antlers and picked up my rifle (I guess I need four hands!) I saw his head move up out of brush at just 35 yards where he had been staring at me.  He bolted of course 😩

Since the last two bucks I encountered never lived come back around, what do you suppose the odds are that I’ll encounter this guy in the next 10 days again (I’m in NW Oregon for general season). I hear that they tend to make themselves scarce after this kind of encounter.

Also, any “blundered opportunity” tales posted here are quite welcome! LOL…

Photo is of my first buck in 2018

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Didn’t see him staring at me....until it was too late
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 12:24:33 PM »
So it goes. Nice buck from last season, though.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Mossy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 12:54:20 PM »
Depends on how old he was. My experience, younger whitetails(Whitetails in general really) are very curious so you should be good for another go.  I’ve had the same situation happen with a hunting partner and he(the shooter) was able to make contact the following day.

Offline Griiz

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 02:40:42 PM »
I imagine he will probably be around. Hopefully you get lucky and find his papa with the rut kicking into high gear shortly.

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 03:36:36 PM »
No shot so you really didn't do anything to run him permanently out of your area.  At most you were an annoyance. I'd keep hunting the same spot but maybe with a different approach if you can? 

Seeing many does in the area? That would definitely keep him in the area. The rut is definitely starting here on the coast of Washington.  Was out at Ocean Shores Yesterday and saw two big fork horns tending a couple does and running off the other 6 bucks that were right there. Curiously there was another doe there that all the bucks were ignoring. Leading me to believe the rut is just getting going. Saw quite a few other does in the area that weren't getting any attention from the bucks.  The biggest of the bucks was guarding a hot doe and may have already bred her as when we showed up he was breathing very hard and had slobber hanging from his chin.  The doe he was tending had bedded between a house and a Rhodadenderon bush. He pushed his way in and was standing over her making sure nobody else got near. If I can get the photos off my phone I'll post one or two.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline RobinHoodlum

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 07:42:06 PM »
I don't believe an encounter like that would blow that buck out. Might be a bit cautious or educated, but that will be offset by hormones and territoriality. That's just my opinion though!

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 08:24:42 PM »
 :yeah:v He may not respond to rattling again this year, or perhaps ever if he knew it was you rattling.  Otherwise, stay right there and try a grunt tube maybe.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 08:41:33 PM »
It's possible or try some other property you may get permission from near by he may go there?
But either way give him a day or two if you can he may come back around?
Nice other deers though belated grats. :chuckle:
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 09:16:36 AM »
As another commented, they are curious and they come back. Hope you got him if not next year!

Offline Acrosstheriver

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 10:30:09 AM »
Depends on how old he was. My experience, younger whitetails(Whitetails in general really) are very curious so you should be good for another go.  I’ve had the same situation happen with a hunting partner and he(the shooter) was able to make contact the following day.

Not sure how curious they are.  I’ve only hunted Blacktails so far so I’ve nothing to compare!  All that aside though, I’d say this one was more warily suspicious than “curious”.

Offline Aeron

• Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 10:44:32 AM »
Last year I took a shot at one( blacktail), and missed by a mile or so (sighting in my rifle afterwards educated me to the fact that I must have banged up the scope while in the woods because I wasn't even on paper any more!), and another one (whitetail) last year caught me lifting my rifle and ran like hell.  Haven't seen hide nor hair of either of those deer.  Doesn't mean they didn't see me though.  It isn't very often that I don't relive those two moments this year, hopefully to learn from my mistakes.  Hope to make good on a shot this year...haven't seen anything to shoot at yet, but I have only seen and shot deer during the late buck. 

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 11:36:18 AM »
You asked for a blundered opportunity story so here it is but with a good ending that maybe will give you hope.
2018 I was hunting a clearcut  that I had seen a lot of sign in and had luck there in previous years. About the fifth day of season  I snuck up a ridge and intersected a road in the middle of the unit. I walked by an extremely brushy (4 foot high, thick hemlocks) triangle on the edge of a drop off. I came to the end of the road and as I walked back, there in the triangle was a doe and the biggest buck I had ever had the opportunity at. Trouble was he was walking straight away from me and he was going downhill so the only shot was his head. I shot off my shooting sticks so I had a good rest. Over his back at his head three times and missed every shot before he went over the hill and out of sight.
I was sick. Probably the biggest buck I would ever get a chance at and I blew it. I assumed I shot high but later on I went to the range and fired a few shots and some how I was three inches to the right . 2 inches high which is normal. I decide to just center it instead of leaving it high  and thought to my self I will go out tomorrow and see a buck at 300 yards.
The next day I was waiting at the bottom of that same clearcut for it to get light. As it started to get light I looked up on the hill and at about 300 yards there was that very same buck only this time he was broadside. One shot and I had him.
There is hope to see that buck again. Hope you get him. Here's the guy I had a second chance at.

Bruce Vandervort

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw