collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Four Dog wood stove  (Read 5895 times)

Offline gutsnthegrass

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
Four Dog wood stove
« on: January 04, 2021, 11:04:16 AM »
Would a 4 dog wood stove heat a 12x20 Alakanak sufficiently in really cold temps?  I have heard great things about them, but it says they are rated for a 14x16.

Offline ballpark

• Salty
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: Four Dog wood stove
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 12:01:39 PM »
Almost the same SQ footage, I would say yes.  I have a 2 dog that heats our 10 x 12 and 12 x 14 just fine.  Been in the teens, just smaller box so takes work to keep it going all night. :tup:

Online ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 12:58:32 PM »
Almost the same SQ footage, I would say yes.  I have a 2 dog that heats our 10 x 12 and 12 x 14 just fine.  Been in the teens, just smaller box so takes work to keep it going all night. :tup:

I have two Three Dogs and a Four Dog in our cook shack which is 10 x20 and not as tight as a wall tent. The four dog heats it fine.

Wish I could find another Dog Stove for sale.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 01:30:21 PM »
I agree, the heat output would be sufficient to heat it but the larger the stove the more wood it will hold and longer it will run at night.

Offline gutsnthegrass

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 01:46:30 PM »

I have two Three Dogs and a Four Dog in our cook shack which is 10 x20 and not as tight as a wall tent. The four dog heats it fine.

I used a Camp Chef Alpine wood stove this year and it got down to -5 at night.  The stove had to be stoked every hour with the dampers wide open to keep it almost bearable (the tent was still frozen inside).  I am looking for something that will heat the tent when it gets bitter cold. Do you think it will work in those conditions?

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 02:39:03 PM »
Would a 4 dog wood stove heat a 12x20 Alakanak sufficiently in really cold temps?  I have heard great things about them, but it says they are rated for a 14x16.

There’s a guy in Oregon named Joe. I have a 12x20 Alak with one of his stoves. He sells them off Craigslist. It was -11 in Idaho this year and my tent was toasty. I put a heat shield behind the stove or the tent gets scary hot. It’s a bad ass stove.

Offline CastleRocker

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 03:10:18 PM »
I think I've seen the Craigslist ads for his stoves, they look pretty good.  We started using a military surplus Space Heater Arctic stove about 6 or 7 years ago.  It kept the tent warm in Montana a few years ago with negative temps, and howling winds.  It's got a setting for "below minus 25°" on the dial.  We've only clicked that on one night.  Burns between 1 and 1 1/2 gallons of off-road diesel per night.  Just have to remember to shut it off before you leave camp.
Work to live, don't live to work.

You can educate away ignorance, sober up drunkenness, but you can't fix stupid.

Offline BoomWhop

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 04:17:52 PM »
I have a 4 Dog in a 12x18 and it is more than enough, I have a Bravo Tent with a snow slide and it was t shirt time inside the tent at 15 degrees outside during the late season this year. That's with no fan.
If your gonna be Dumb you better be Tough

Online ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 05:01:11 PM »

I used a Camp Chef Alpine wood stove this year and it got down to -5 at night.  The stove had to be stoked every hour with the dampers wide open to keep it almost bearable (the tent was still frozen inside).  I am looking for something that will heat the tent when it gets bitter cold. Do you think it will work in those conditions?

The Four Dog is about big  as they get for a tent stove. It’s too big for my 10x 12 tents. Too hot.
But works great in our Costco cook shack.
We had 13 degree temps this past season and was plenty warm enough. In a wall tent it would be even better. I stoke the stoves up couple hours before bedtime with good bed of coals than a couple pressed logs and wood at bed time. Works for us.

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 10:58:16 PM »
Why not just buy a Yukon cylinder stove and never have to worry about heat again.  I heat my 15x18 wall tent to the point you have to sleep on the outside of your sleeping bag.   

Offline spin05

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 01:12:12 AM »

There’s a guy in Oregon named Joe. I have a 12x20 Alak with one of his stoves. He sells them off Craigslist. It was -11 in Idaho this year and my tent was toasty. I put a heat shield behind the stove or the tent gets scary hot. It’s a bad ass stove.

Yes i bought one of his first models. There a good stove. He has come along way now the new ones are way nicer then mine.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/for/d/canvas-wall-tent-stove/7246468755.html

Offline gutsnthegrass

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 07:43:33 AM »
Why not just buy a Yukon cylinder stove and never have to worry about heat again.  I heat my 15x18 wall tent to the point you have to sleep on the outside of your sleeping bag.

This is the other stove I was looking at.

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2021, 10:34:07 AM »

This is the other stove I was looking at.

You will never regret a cylinder stove as long as you buy the biggest....the Yukon. 

Online ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 10:12:07 PM »
I have my second Yukon cylinder stove that came with a tent I bought in December. I had one before and sold it to get a used Three Dog.
I know lots of guys like the cylinder but I don’t. The top plate is hoaky to me. I like the square box much more. I don’t like the screw in legs on a cylinder either.
Lots more surface area on the square box stoves and handles.
Soon as I can get a square replacement I will sell the cylinder.

Box stoves pack easier too. :twocents:

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 05:51:35 AM »
Are 4 dogs really better than 3?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]