collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: San Juan Islands Blacktail -- New hunter looking for advice  (Read 3302 times)

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: San Juan Islands Blacktail -- New hunter looking for advice
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2021, 08:12:17 PM »
Cypress is not technically part of the San Juans, FYI.  ;)

What method are you planning on using? Archery is probably your best bet for getting access. Also the best bet for patterning the deer. Come October they start to get off of the apple trees. Baiting is your friend if you get access to private land.

I'm not sure of my schedule this Fall as I will be hunting here and Wisconsin, but drop me a note later in the year. Archery I could get you on land on Decatur.

Ed

Online steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough

Offline cem3434

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2021, 06:18:18 AM »
Interesting read, didnt know we had that here.
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2021, 05:28:51 PM »
Just got home from a camping trip to Orcas island and Moran State Park, sweet Jesus there are a TON of Deer on that island! All locked in on private and park land. The EHD is awful, wish there was a way to match hunters with landowners to help with the thinning of the herds.  :twocents:
IAFF #3728

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2021, 06:25:35 PM »
I heard the rumor they were considering allowing  a 3rd deer option on the islands to try and increase harvest. Add to that some orgs that arn't so friendly to hunters are willing to let deer hunting happen on their property because the overgrazing has effected the butterfly population.

Not likely since they only recently reduced the second deer tags substantially. They really should have landowner tags out there.

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2021, 12:02:37 PM »
Might as well try hunting Vashon. You'll have just as much trouble finding a spot to hunt but at least the deer are bigger if you ever get permission. Couple people on the site have pulled some bruisers out of there.

Vashon and San Juans are pretty similar: If you manage somehow to get permission you'll probably get a deer...and then get your tires slashed in the ferry line trying to get off the island.
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2021, 08:27:43 AM »
Was just up there.  No deer anywhere and all the woods smell like death.  They have a brain hemorrhaging disease right now, which has a 95% mortality rate for infected deer.  There are dead deer everywhere in the woods.  Most that I've spoken to haven't seen a deer in weeks and I've heard rough assumptions of a 50% population decline, at least on San Juan.

Offline ducks4days

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2021, 08:46:31 AM »
Was just up there.  No deer anywhere and all the woods smell like death.  They have a brain hemorrhaging disease right now, which has a 95% mortality rate for infected deer.  There are dead deer everywhere in the woods.  Most that I've spoken to haven't seen a deer in weeks and I've heard rough assumptions of a 50% population decline, at least on San Juan.

As much as I dont like to say it because I have pulled a 2nd deer from Orcas 4x in the last 7 years and am currently holding another 2nd deer tag for the island, this might be good.

The herd has been in a bad way on Orcas for a long time. There isnt enough food and space there for the sheer volume of deer, there are a few large property sections on the west side where they congregate to feed on grass, but mostly they are on front lawns and in garden beds, or else they are moving around trying to find browse under tall canopies that havent been forested in 8- years. there are no predators to remove weak genes from the population, the deer that survive do so because they are small enough to be narrowly avoided by cars.

I have been saying for years that it is only a matter of time before disease breaks out and wipes them all out. The absolute best thing that could have happened was that bear that swam over a few years back but of course they traq-ed it and moved it off island.  It is a long shot, but I seriously hope that WDFW does outreach to educate the residents on what lead to it and encourage more access agreements to give opportunity to hunters, assuming there are any deer left in the end.

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2021, 10:29:49 AM »

As much as I dont like to say it because I have pulled a 2nd deer from Orcas 4x in the last 7 years and am currently holding another 2nd deer tag for the island, this might be good.

The herd has been in a bad way on Orcas for a long time. There isnt enough food and space there for the sheer volume of deer, there are a few large property sections on the west side where they congregate to feed on grass, but mostly they are on front lawns and in garden beds, or else they are moving around trying to find browse under tall canopies that havent been forested in 8- years. there are no predators to remove weak genes from the population, the deer that survive do so because they are small enough to be narrowly avoided by cars.

I have been saying for years that it is only a matter of time before disease breaks out and wipes them all out. The absolute best thing that could have happened was that bear that swam over a few years back but of course they traq-ed it and moved it off island.  It is a long shot, but I seriously hope that WDFW does outreach to educate the residents on what lead to it and encourage more access agreements to give opportunity to hunters, assuming there are any deer left in the end.

Agreed.  Here's the article.  https://wdfw.wa.gov/news/wdfw-confirms-ahd-san-juan-islands-deer

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2021, 11:36:51 AM »
:yeah: I was there for the fourth at Roche Harbor.  We drove from there to Friday Harbor one morning and only saw 2 deer.  Normally we would see 20-30 easily in years past.

Offline lokidog

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2021, 07:51:05 AM »

The bear actually swam back to the mainland after visiting several islands, including Decatur. Then it was tranqed and moved.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Spearfishing questions - gearing up by overthefalls
[Today at 10:31:34 AM]

WTB RL26 by Tball77
[Today at 10:08:10 AM]

fishing regs by jay.sharkbait
[Today at 09:50:08 AM]

Incinerator toilets by pianoman9701
[Today at 09:21:38 AM]

Post The Ammo/Reloading Supplies You Find In Stock Here! by deerhunter_98520
[Today at 09:11:04 AM]