collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Help me out, comment link added  (Read 9262 times)

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
Re: Help me out, comment link added
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2021, 01:36:27 AM »
It only takes a few to ruin it. I understand the big land owners using a system that they can rely upon and they know works. Not to mention it always seems someone seems to get their nose bent one way or another and either complains or starts trouble. Why go through all that? It works for them as is. They are not in the ‘feel good’ business, and there really is no reason for them to want or need to open up to an unknown element of hunters. While it would be nice of them to spread it out, I would not blame them if they did not.
Ya but it = out something like this.
I'm gonna complain about being
On welfare ,I don't want a job.
My gun rights,I voted biden
No ammo on shelves,never stops at gun store
Hate my job,never apply for a new one
Why work ,someone else will fix my problems

Bear damage,not gonna let access for hunters.

Kinda see how that works out.

It's also a two way road.
Trees are a assets ,investment,ect to timber company
Bear are also an asset to the state and people of Washington.
But at the end of the day timber copanys have done very little to solve there own problem.
Seems they just want the problem gone.
No help from hunters
It's there right to not allow access.
Don't ask tax payers to pay for your permits.
Through the department of agriculture /Federal permits.
Why do you think it's a special club cause it's not issued through the state.
Here's the kicker as Washington becomes more of a grizzly recovering zone ,snare permits will be pulled back.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 03:43:05 AM by hunter399 »
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2021, 09:23:52 AM »
There is a reason there is a contingent of 'professional' hunters in the State. The various Islands here use them too. They can get the job done without fuss. Not the same rules as 'hunters' either. Not the same limits. AND the public probably won't even know they have been there, for the most part, other than the critter numbers will be down. Plus, no litigation from someone getting hurt, or other nonsensical thing, because 'They didn't warn us it could be dangerous!'. The 'pro's' have their own insurance.
Same with Buffalo way back. How do you pare them down to nothing? Pro's. You find the best at what they do and put them to work. The fewer people to deal with, the easier it will be. And they will be more efficient for the most part.
Get a license, get the reputation, and you can also be a 'professional hunter' with all the headaches and problems that go along with that 'job'. And yes, it is a job. Everything becomes a 'job' when you do enough of it and you are expected to perform.
Sure, opening it up would be great for the public, but there is a downside for them to do that.
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2021, 11:38:02 AM »
It's a double edge sword for timber company and hunters alike.
That's all I'm say in.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2021, 01:32:28 PM »
Regarding Depredation hunts and bear snaring, I'm very much against them both.
Land owners have the ability to open their grounds to hunting just as much as anyone else, even limiting the weapon type (archery, shotgun, etc.) for safety if necessary.  Some of our Timber lands are buttoned up drum tight and open to nobody for any form of recreational take.  Then when the animals become a problem, they run crying to the State for special take permits.  Somehow that just seems wrong that my tax dollars are spent to fund this practice when the solution is already there to be used.
One size does not fit all. I'll just take from the two examples near me I am familiar with.
The one guy owns a pretty good chunk of land by most standards but it is in three different chunks surrounded by FS and some residential properties. He tried the depredation hunts in the Spring which didn't help. Pursuit has to be called off when the bear gets a ways off the property. In 4 years they never killed one bear although they chased a lot. The bears practically beat the hunters back to the property. He finally hired USDA and they snared them and the guy paid to have the bears professionally butchered and donated.
This land and all adjacent land is the same age second growth or larger trees on the FS. No where can you see well enough to make boot hunting effective. It is open to public hunting.
The other guy owns about 15 acres up against the ONP. Same thing with the trees, the age of trees bears peel precludes effective boot hunting and hound would just be on the Park in short order.
The only way to take these bears is with bait, either baited tree stands, which the law does not allow even a permit for or snares which can be permitted. 
I view this as a matter of opportunity. Traditional boot hunters will never harvest any of these bears. The land owners are suffering because there is no way to realistically control the population. The only option at present is to hire USDA to snare the bears. The way the laws are the options are limited. If we could go back to the way things were prior to 1996, that would be great but we cannot.
These animals are an opportunity for a user group, trappers, that no other group can take advantage of. Why not let trappers take advantage of the opportunity.
Listing bears and cougar as furbearers would be a first step. That doesn't get a change in the rules but it opens the door on some things the Commission could approve down the road.
My understanding of the law is that if they were furbearers the Department could issue a site specific permit to snare bears but the trapper could keep the bear as long as they did not sell it. They could also initiate (live traps) a bear trapping season but both would have to go before the Commission to be approved so anyone could have their comment pro or con before that happened.
Bruce Vandervort

Online headshot5

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2021, 04:19:55 PM »
Regarding Depredation hunts and bear snaring, I'm very much against them both.
Land owners have the ability to open their grounds to hunting just as much as anyone else, even limiting the weapon type (archery, shotgun, etc.) for safety if necessary.  Some of our Timber lands are buttoned up drum tight and open to nobody for any form of recreational take.  Then when the animals become a problem, they run crying to the State for special take permits.  Somehow that just seems wrong that my tax dollars are spent to fund this practice when the solution is already there to be used.
One size does not fit all. I'll just take from the two examples near me I am familiar with.
The one guy owns a pretty good chunk of land by most standards but it is in three different chunks surrounded by FS and some residential properties. He tried the depredation hunts in the Spring which didn't help. Pursuit has to be called off when the bear gets a ways off the property. In 4 years they never killed one bear although they chased a lot. The bears practically beat the hunters back to the property. He finally hired USDA and they snared them and the guy paid to have the bears professionally butchered and donated.
This land and all adjacent land is the same age second growth or larger trees on the FS. No where can you see well enough to make boot hunting effective. It is open to public hunting.
The other guy owns about 15 acres up against the ONP. Same thing with the trees, the age of trees bears peel precludes effective boot hunting and hound would just be on the Park in short order.
The only way to take these bears is with bait, either baited tree stands, which the law does not allow even a permit for or snares which can be permitted. 
I view this as a matter of opportunity. Traditional boot hunters will never harvest any of these bears. The land owners are suffering because there is no way to realistically control the population. The only option at present is to hire USDA to snare the bears. The way the laws are the options are limited. If we could go back to the way things were prior to 1996, that would be great but we cannot.
These animals are an opportunity for a user group, trappers, that no other group can take advantage of. Why not let trappers take advantage of the opportunity.
Listing bears and cougar as furbearers would be a first step. That doesn't get a change in the rules but it opens the door on some things the Commission could approve down the road.
My understanding of the law is that if they were furbearers the Department could issue a site specific permit to snare bears but the trapper could keep the bear as long as they did not sell it. They could also initiate (live traps) a bear trapping season but both would have to go before the Commission to be approved so anyone could have their comment pro or con before that happened.

I'm on board 100%  It is crazy to me all the people who think we are in a predator pit in Washington, but they are against adding another tool to the toolbox to help manage predators.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal