collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Master Baiters - Looking for some bait strategy  (Read 4399 times)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Master Baiters - Looking for some bait strategy
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2021, 02:25:46 PM »
Birds??  Never have a problem with birds.   :chuckle:
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2021, 02:27:56 PM »
Careful with bigger holes on your barrels.  Jr gets stuck in there your going to have a heck of a time letting it out!!  No that's not how I left the barrel, but they can get rough with barrel when it gets empty.  :)
Fred Moyer

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2021, 02:29:46 PM »
My short term remedy for crows and ravens.  Of course this only last until the next bear comes along and pulls out the logs.
Fred Moyer

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2021, 02:30:50 PM »

That's a great shot.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2021, 08:59:34 PM »

Me either   :chuckle:

Online luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2021, 02:18:59 PM »
Alright master baiters  :chuckle: I've got 3 barrels with removable lids and locking tops.  Since I don't know what I'm doing, I'm going to make them all 3 different and see what I like.  For bait mainstays, I'm going to rely on purchased bait, and sub in anything I can manage to get that is free or close.  This will likely be molasses cob animal feed, which comes in at $11-12 for a 50 lb sack.  I plan to douse it with some costco maple syrup, also cheap.  Again, any freebies will reduce that... and I might try a 50 lb bag of costco dogfood, but that rings in at $17.  I do plan on grabbing some used oil from local restaurants for some "com'ere bear" scent.

Hanging Bait Model: I want to have the ability to fill a barrel (or mostly fill a barrel) and have a slower feed process.  I can't cut a 5" hole in the bottom of a barrel, because all my oats will flow out.  Hanging bait model is my starting point for this and it might help keep my barrel from getting destroyed.  They can bat it around, I don't have to worry bout heads getting stuck, harder for other animals to mess with.  I'd hang it 5' off the ground or so.

Rolling Bait Model: I assume this is going to destroy the drum, but we'll see.  Same thing as above, 3 small holes and chained loosely to a tree so that a bear rolls it around to get feed out.  I'm thinking small, like 1.5" holes.  Primarily would be the molasses cob and dog food.  I'll chain this to a tree, but so it can roll around.

Traditional Bait Model: The reason I like this one less is that I can't fill it full of my loose food, only below the hole.  Above the hole will have to be pastries or other food scraps that wont immediately fall out.  I plan to have some of that, even if sparse.  I did find that the Franz outlet here actually SELLS the old bread in carts for baiters... but you have to buy the whole cart.  My only question with this one, is what size hole?  People say small enough that a bear wont get its head stuck, but the smallest bear I've shot is 5"+ across.  I swear larger bears have paws that would hardly fit in that.  Any recommendations on hole size for the traditional look?  Also, I plan not to cut a circle, but rather to cut an 'X' in the barrel and peen over the edges around to the inside, so that the edge is nice and rounded.  I don't see people do this, is that a bad idea?

Enjoy my powerpoint art.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2021, 03:35:30 PM »
I think you might be over thinking your hole size and shape. Bears are pigs with a lot of hair and will find a way to eat the bait. I personally make it big enough that I feel they can easily reach inside but not so big its hard to cover with something to not have it exposed to other animals eating free at the bait. We still do a lot of cubbys with logs and rocks etc placed over the bait and it works good. The advantage to cubbys is you dont have to mess with packing in and out a barrel and not everyone who happens by will know you have a bait there. A barrel announces to anyone in the area a bait is there.  Once a decent number of bears start hitting your bait you will be going back to replenish all the time anyways. I think the key is just to get the bears attracted to your bait as soon as possible and then dont let it run out so you keep them there. How you place the bait for me is of secondary importance and the only benefit I have found to barrels is keeping other critters from eating a bunch after its opened up . Try and find locations where there is not a bait in every draw. A big mistake i find new baiters make is placing baits close to other existing baits and its hard to pattern the bears since they have multiple smorgasbords available close. I know you cant know of every bait potentially out there but the closer to town the more baits there will be.  The biggest mistake is baiting close enough to 4 wheeler trail or road where houndsman will strike off the bait. I have unintentionally ran bears with my dogs off multiple baits because the baits were placed where my dogs could strike bears from the road or trail. I wont run someones bait on purpose but if people place baits in bad spots the dogs will strike and be released. Just a suggestion but I would be more focused on the location of your baits then the barrel hole size.  You will go broke feeding primarily sweet cob on 3 baits if you have good locations. You need some cheaper alternatives.   Franz was a good option but its way to crowded for me these days getting on a list and people showing up 1 hour before they open. I gave up on that probably 5 years ago wasnt worth it to me for old bread hopefully you have a different experience. I wont name any but there is lots of other options for free or cheap bait in the area.  Your first two barrel ideas are interesting but I would not personally try either. Just some suggestions have fun feeding bears  :tup:   

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2021, 12:36:48 PM »
 :yeah:
Fred Moyer

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2021, 09:57:05 PM »
cooking oil and actual grease are not even in the same category as for how potent grease is. Oil is just that oil, no stink wont rot.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Today at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]