collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Recommendations for Outboard Service  (Read 1823 times)

Offline ducks4days

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Recommendations for Outboard Service
« on: April 13, 2021, 03:04:50 PM »
I have a 15hp Johnson outboard I use on a jon boat for ducks that quit working right at the end of the season. Any recommendations for a place on the west side (preferable near Enumclaw but I'm willing to travel a bit for honest work) that will service, and how much should I expect to pay?
What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon & pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants.

Offline hunthard

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Recommendations for Outboard Service
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 03:08:38 PM »
Auburn sports & marine, good luck getting in but they are the best.

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 03:39:16 PM »
I have a 15hp Johnson outboard I use on a jon boat for ducks that quit working right at the end of the season. Any recommendations for a place on the west side (preferable near Enumclaw but I'm willing to travel a bit for honest work) that will service, and how much should I expect to pay?

What year?

The reason I ask is many shops wont work on the older stuff. The ones that do charge around 125/hr.

That said,the older ones are easy to work on and most parts are still available.

Toms Outboards in Oly just burned down and as a result everyone is backed up more than usual.

Offline Chesterdog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Eagle Scout
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 03:49:04 PM »
No luck here.  I called my go to place, Ricks Master Marine but they're an authorized Mercury and Honda mechanic and don't work on Johnson.

Offline MIKEXRAY

• Sourdough
  • Bowhunter east side. Kayak Fishing cascade lakes.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 04:28:43 PM »
Larry at Power Sports Repair LLC in Auburn works on outboards , snowmobiles etc. Works out of his house , always does a good job on my stuff. He's not brand specific and seems to work on most anything.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 04:41:03 PM by MIKEXRAY »

Offline ducks4days

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 04:52:14 PM »
Jay, definitely older. I bought it used and don’t actually know the year. My main issue is 60h work weeks, so not much time for my own projects. Basically the same reason I have 2 non-running motorcycles.

Hunthard, I’ll call Auburn. Fortunately I have some time between now and early goose to get in.
What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon & pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants.

Offline ducks4days

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 04:55:38 PM »
MIKEXRAY, I might call Larry before auburn marine, in case he has more bandwidth. Thank you!

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 04:57:16 PM »
Tom’s Outboard in Olympia has been my Johnson mechanic for 30 years.

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 05:47:27 PM »
 :yeah:

Offline GWP

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 06:35:21 PM »
Jay, definitely older. I bought it used and don’t actually know the year. My main issue is 60h work weeks, so not much time for my own projects. Basically the same reason I have 2 non-running motorcycles.

Hunthard, I’ll call Auburn. Fortunately I have some time between now and early goose to get in.

I was going to say Auburn or Ricks. Was not aware Toms burned down.

Two non running motorcycles? Do tell! Always interested in another motorcycle project...
Cuterebra are NOT cute!

Offline ducks4days

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 09:18:51 AM »

I was going to say Auburn or Ricks. Was not aware Toms burned down.

Two non running motorcycles? Do tell! Always interested in another motorcycle project...

I got my endorsement 6 years ago, and immediately bought a non-running 88 VTR 250 for $400. Tore it apart and cleaned the carbs, new battery, new mirrors, new tires, and it was good to go. Its a sweet little bike that gets 70mpg and will get up to about 85mph on the hwy, so I use it as a commuter when the weather is tolerable. It always had this weird "lurchy" thing it would do that I could never figure out. Back in September the chain started falling off, which is when I found out the rear sprocket was missing teeth. So I just need to replace the sprocket and chain, then recharge the battery and cycle out the gas from last year, but the time to do it especially without a garage is hard to come by.

The other one is a 95 Intruder 800 which has been an unbearable PITA the entire time I've owned it. Its super comfortable to ride, but it has ~58k on it and the carbs/engine are temperamental and need to be cleaned like once a month just to keep it from dying while in idle. You basically need to take the whole thing apart just to get to any of the parts, So I was trading a week of dinking with it for 3 weeks of riding it, when I already had another bike that got double the mileage and I sort of just gave up.   :bash:

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal