collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Toyota Tacoma Questions  (Read 11651 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Toyota Tacoma Questions
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2021, 11:49:13 AM »
Mine.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2021, 12:17:32 PM »
I rented a brand new one in March with a manual and it had sufficient power. I’m 6’4 and it had plenty of leg room.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline bustedoldman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
  • TEAM Potbelly Stallions
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2021, 01:16:52 PM »
Mine

Offline thinkingman

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2021, 04:25:17 PM »
I had a 2006 for 12 years.
Sold it with 176000 miles on it, so I have some practical experience with the brand plus I turn my own wrenches....

First, it had flat rear leafs within 50k miles and Toyota refused to admit they had a problem until it became big enough to be a recall then they screwed me on reimbursement for the leafs.

Second, the frame is the cheapest C-Section frame in the business.  Only people who haven't owned trucks would accept the flexi-flyer to screw the parts to.

Body integrity is mediocre.  Trim strips flying off on the freeway, gas cap door rusting off like an old beer can, tailgate can't support more than 150lbs or it bends....

Cheap, cheap, cheap interior. Everything is cheapest crap I've seen in any modern vehicle.

Buy the automatic because the 6sp is engineered by morons who are marketing to mall crawler 19 year olds that know you can't back a trailer with the reverse ratio installed and cruising at 75mph is 2400 rpm...crazy stupid.

The only thing crazier and stupider is the people that buy them at ridiculous resale prices....to them I say 'THANK YOU AND GOOD RIDDANCE!'.
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline fishngamereaper

• Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2021, 04:29:16 PM »
 :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2021, 09:15:01 PM »
Hmmmm .... I guess I’m under 150 pounds cause my tailgate is still straight and my 18’ trailer must be made of paper as I haul it and back it up my hill with no issues ohh wait my gas flap is still connected
I’m a idiot my bad

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2021, 10:17:46 PM »
Sold it with 176000 miles on it, so I have some practical experience with the brand plus I turn my own wrenches....

First, it had flat rear leafs within 50k miles and Toyota refused to admit they had a problem until it became big enough to be a recall then they screwed me on reimbursement for the leafs.

Second, the frame is the cheapest C-Section frame in the business.  Only people who haven't owned trucks would accept the flexi-flyer to screw the parts to.

Body integrity is mediocre.  Trim strips flying off on the freeway, gas cap door rusting off like an old beer can, tailgate can't support more than 150lbs or it bends....

Cheap, cheap, cheap interior. Everything is cheapest crap I've seen in any modern vehicle.

Buy the automatic because the 6sp is engineered by morons who are marketing to mall crawler 19 year olds that know you can't back a trailer with the reverse ratio installed and cruising at 75mph is 2400 rpm...crazy stupid.

The only thing crazier and stupider is the people that buy them at ridiculous resale prices....to them I say 'THANK YOU AND GOOD RIDDANCE!'.
It’s good to see your feeling alright. Not sure anybody cares about your supposedly Toyota experience anymore.  :dunno:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2021, 11:16:45 AM »

So basically, you were happy with the vehicle then?
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2021, 11:52:40 AM »

So if it was such a flaming pile of dog crap., why did you keep it for 12 years and 176,000 miles? I mean, that would make you just as dumb as Jake!
(kidding, Jake!  :chuckle:)
Low T Beta Male

Offline thinkingman

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2021, 03:57:33 PM »
Hmmmm .... I guess I’m under 150 pounds cause my tailgate is still straight and my 18’ trailer must be made of paper as I haul it and back it up my hill with no issues ohh wait my gas flap is still connected
I’m a idiot my bad

You might have an automatic not 6sp manual, and I'm guessing if you DO have the 6sp manual, you haven't had to reverse the trailer up any sort of grade or you wouldn't be making such an intelligent post....Or you like to replace clutches....Or you're one of those drivers that think if your car has enough power to move the trailer, it must be a decent tow vehicle.

Regarding the tailgate, go onto Tacomaworld and read about all the 19 year olds loading their MX bikes into the bed (5' won't hold a motocrosser without the tailgate open!) and how many have bent tailgates.
Not sure about the gas flap but you must be amazing.

Roof moldings came off driving down the freeway? https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/roof-molding-came-off.277252/
Only a couple hun to replace...Thanks.

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2021, 06:29:24 PM »
I  have an 08 ,I’ll be quite frank it’s my woods/family adventure vehicle was my best friends before I bought it from him ,I have had to do ball joints once , I have done a few minor things small lift ,new shocks , different rear leafs . I drive it  my rzr sometimes and have gotten into some crazy places . I have had several Toyota’s over the years sold maybe cause wanted something different or heck everything has a price . Screw the  people who complain Toyota name is tried and true and that’s a dang fact , the resale is incredible which is a gift and a curse . O I tow my tide runner all over , enclosed trailer ,my only complaint is the 5ft bed but heck I knew it when I bought it ,buy one don’t look back

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2021, 07:30:52 PM »
I had a 2013 Tacoma sport short box double cab 4.0 motor
Great truck loved it
Hauled my duckworth boat and little RV trailer all over the west
The only thing I didn’t like was the size of the gas tank
Not enough capacity and range
Traded it for a 2020 Tundra
Same look on both trucks
I like white
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline HAGEMANIAC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA, NWTF, RMEF, MDF, VFW, USAF
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2021, 08:24:15 PM »
2013, 73k miles.  Truck has been bullet proof.  Outside of routine maintenance, I haven't had to do anything. However, my family is outgrowing this truck and I want a full size.  Going to be a sad day when I have to let go, unless I convince my wife to keep this as my hunting/commuting rig haha.

I do, however, wish I would have bought the Off Road instead of the Sport. That fake hood scoop just did it for me at the time.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 08:31:25 PM by HAGEMANIAC »
God made man, Samuel Colt made them equal.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2021, 07:14:01 AM »
Depends on whether you need a fulltime woods rig? Daily plus hunting rig? Family hauler? Usually solo or maybe one partner or are you hunting with a crew?

I loved my 98 1st gen. 3.4 5spd. Excellent rig tough and dependable. No cab room. Excellent for solo sleeping in rig, or two  if your tenting it. I loved the size in the woods, and tranny and motor combo was perfect for my needs. Not great for car seats, and I needed a rig that could double as a family hauler if needed, so upgraded to a 2010 off road with 6 speed. Good for what I needed at the time. But as has been mentioned gave up bed space, and reverse is tall. Although I had no problem managing it and never needed to replace a clutch, although I would use the two stage transfer if under heavy load, turns out its there for a reason :chuckle:

Offline thinkingman

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2021, 08:45:25 AM »
Depends on whether you need a fulltime woods rig? Daily plus hunting rig? Family hauler? Usually solo or maybe one partner or are you hunting with a crew?

I loved my 98 1st gen. 3.4 5spd. Excellent rig tough and dependable. No cab room. Excellent for solo sleeping in rig, or two  if your tenting it. I loved the size in the woods, and tranny and motor combo was perfect for my needs. Not great for car seats, and I needed a rig that could double as a family hauler if needed, so upgraded to a 2010 off road with 6 speed. Good for what I needed at the time. But as has been mentioned gave up bed space, and reverse is tall. Although I had no problem managing it and never needed to replace a clutch, although I would use the two stage transfer if under heavy load, turns out its there for a reason :chuckle:

Yup! :tup:
4lo just to reverse up any sort of grade became a common theme!
 :chuckle:
― Bertrand Russell

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter