collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Feeding quail  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: Feeding quail
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2021, 11:25:30 AM »
Any recommendations for food? Currently it's just cracked corn. I also plan to set some posts in and around the area. Dad likes to hang out on a perch to keep an eye on the kids. There are some old, grey posts laying in the field that look like they'd make good lookouts.

Offline Fishmaker57

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited, CCA
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2021, 01:02:37 PM »
We just feed chicken scratch and they love it, usually feeding 200+ in the winter, but only when the snow gets over 3 - 4". Once they are on it, we are feeding 50 lbs a week!

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2021, 03:56:52 PM »
Scratch or cracked corn is good for winter and supplemental other times but the corn will put fat on them and can reduce their ability to reproduce. They sell gamebird seed blocks that will sustain them and last a long time. They will likely just stop in from time to time outside of winter but keep an eye on how often they are and how much they are eating. Watch the numbers and make sure your predators aren't just eating your efforts.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2021, 04:20:44 PM »
Scratch or cracked corn is good for winter and supplemental other times but the corn will put fat on them and can reduce their ability to reproduce. They sell gamebird seed blocks that will sustain them and last a long time. They will likely just stop in from time to time outside of winter but keep an eye on how often they are and how much they are eating. Watch the numbers and make sure your predators aren't just eating your efforts.

Great info. Thanks.
Predators are my main concern, as the place is lousy with hawks and those white headed crows.  :o

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2021, 06:13:27 PM »

Great info. Thanks.
Predators are my main concern, as the place is lousy with hawks and those white headed crows.  :o

Hopefully the white headed crows will be feasting on the neighbors chickens as they are a much bigger better meal! The hawks is what to watch and any raccoons, cats etc. That is why I say watch that tree top, hawks will be quite visible until you train them.  :tup:

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2021, 09:59:46 PM »

Great info. Thanks.

Hopefully the white headed crows will be feasting on the neighbors chickens as they are a much bigger better meal! The hawks is what to watch and any raccoons, cats etc. That is why I say watch that tree top, hawks will be quite visible until you train them.  :tup:

I've seen raccoons, bobcats and domestic cats on my trail camera. My first order of business is to give them plenty of cover by planting thickets.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2021, 08:56:49 AM »
Watched a hawk come in hot Saturday, and Dad quail chased him off. So I put some brush over the feeder/ watering hole for a quick fix. An hour later Mom and Dad were giving the kids a tour of their new digs. Pretty cool stuff.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 10:43:58 AM by Angry Perch »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Frank Church by Bob33
[Today at 12:06:08 PM]

WTS: Winchester 1897 16 gauge by tydawg
[Today at 11:50:23 AM]

Login Issues ????? by bearpaw
[Today at 11:43:53 AM]

2021 EAST ELK RAFFLE!!! by Ghost Hunter
[Today at 11:38:19 AM]

WTS/WTT: .270 Win brass and projectiles by traildigger